An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you feel good when you drink alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 003, Jan 28, 2015.

1. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I like a couple of cold beers every now and then, maybe once a month, but I can't drink like I used to when I was at college. My tolerance has gone right down.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The initial buzz usually does feel good. But if you do drink more, then of course you will get drunk and lose bodily control. That is usually unpleasant. Not to mention the next day hangovers. In the end if you hurt more than you enjoy. You figure the buzz last 3 to 4 hours, but the hangover can last a whole day.
  3. piez

piez Member

The first sip of an ice cold beer after awhile of not having one is extremely refreshing to me. I love the numb body and mind feeling that I get from being drunk. Like some of the other posters have mentioned I am a fan of almost everything in moderation so I feel that it is fine to drink and have a good time.
  4. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I feel light-headed, this much is true. But I always make it a point not to get really drunk. I have learned my lesson hard on that one and I am not doing it again. I feel bad having a massive hangover.
  5. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Personally, I really don't feel that great. It depends on what I'm drinking and how much though. Like I drank about a half of a bottle of red wine the other night by myself and I was feeling okay for a few hours until I started throwing up, but I can have a couple of beers and I'll be fine.
  6. Linno

Linno Member

I don't drink anymore. I would always wake up the next day full of anxiety and major depression. It helps now to remember that horrible feeling anytime I am around alcohol, it makes it so much easier to then refuse a drink. Waking up feeling good in the morning is a great motivation for me to stay sober. It's hard though sometimes because drinking is such a social thing that I often feel like an outsider if I'm not partaking.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Drinking alcohol sure does make me feel good, but only for a couple of hours. And the moment you wake up in the morning, you're going to feel horrible because you've just gotten a hangover. Bottom line is, it's not worth it.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well, you have to admit it, alcohol makes you feel lightheaded. However, between ordinary beer and fruit wine, I feel better when drinking the latter. Beer usually triggers my migraine, making me feel dizzy and at times gross. Although fruit wine warms up your insides, it makes me feel more relaxed and comfortable in a natural way.
  9. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I don't drink often, but when I did I didn't even enjoyed the flavor, I just drank because I liked to be drunk, a total nonsense, I simply wasn't feeling good about myself without alcohol.
  10. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I am also a moderate drinker and I feel good when I am drinking beer. It is, for me, a social drink because my friends and I always go for a beer when we meet and talk. Sometimes I also store beer in my fridge just so when I want to get a cold one I can get one anytime. Hard drinks like gin and rum are the ones I don’t really feel good drinking. I only drink these in parties and when someone offers me one and I can’t refuse out of respect. It is okay to drink alcohol and feel good about it, but we must drink moderately so as not to get addicted and abuse it.
  11. Peninha

The effect of alcohol most of the time is good because it release us from our social inhibitions, but we need to get rid of those the natural way, not via alcohol.
  12. Kappys

Kappys Member

Alcohol is definitely a fashionable social drug, along with marijuana, but more so than that. Anyways, i hate the feeling after many shots of alcohol. The feeling of alcohol makes me feel stupid and disoriented. Alcohol makes me feel out of control and is such a displeasure.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I quite enjoy the relaxed feeling that a couple of beers gives me but I don't like feeling anything more than tipsy. I've found that my tolerance for alcohol has declined sharply with age and I can't drink like I used to when I was at college.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I have always seen it as somewhat being done out of a want to be part of a trend in on more cases. People just blindly see it as being acceptable just because it is legal. I think it's still okay to drink for this reason from time to time but I really find it unfortunate that a substance like this that causes people to drive drunk and ultimately cause accidents is seen as being more okay than others.
  15. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Alcohol is not something I turn to when I need to a feeling of bring high. I have never taken any drug to feel high and the highest I have felt is after an orgasm. Alcohol makes me feel uneasy and gives me a headache if consumed in a large volume.
  16. Peninha

That is something strange Rowe, how can alcohol makes you feel uneasy if you drink too much? Usually it has the opposite effect. As for headache that is more normal, at least in the next day.
  17. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

When I drink alcohol, I tend to get drunk super quickly and I feel good for about a minute then it all comes crashing down. It's really not fun for me to drink but I'm not sure why I keep doing it.
  18. Peninha

If you get drunk fast it's because you don't drink often, so that's a good thing. If the effects aren't good, way better, just stop doing it!
  19. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Yes, but not as good as I think it will make me feel before I start drinking.
  20. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Alcohol almost all the time gives me stomach upset, that's why I never like it. There are also certain brands of beer that gives me incurable headache and I literally have to suffer with it the whole day. No medication can resolve it. I think for me, overall, alcohol is more of a discomfort rather than pleasure so I don't see the point why I would engage in drinking too much of it. I will only do it for social drinking.