An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you feel good when you drink alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 003, Jan 28, 2015.

1. p4lse

p4lse Member

I don't really drink more than 2 glasses but even while drinking those 2 glasses, I don't feel that much high. I generally drink because I don't wanna feel left out at parties. The taste gives me a pleasant feeling though.
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The key word here is moderation. Over indulgence can cause serious harm not to mention the financial implications. Too much of something is poisonous and though we all love to have fun,we should know our limits.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

In the past, when I was addicted to alcohol, I only ever drank to forget. I never liked the taste of alcohol but only the effect that the excessive use of it had on me. Most of the time I wished that I would just fall asleep drunk and never have to wake up again. My death wish almost came true a few times. After I stopped drinking, I never missed the taste of it, but only ever that numbing feeling I got from alcohol.
  4. piez

piez Member

I feel fantastic when I drink. As long as I don't drink over my limit. I know my limit and as long as I stay under that limit it will be a good time for me.
  5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Drinking is always fun when you are just getting started. It's overindulging that can be a real mess. One too many and you might find yourself naked on a bathroom floor thanking God for cold tiles against your body. Or hooking up with some random guy or girl twice your age with half their teeth missing. No thanks, I'd rather not.

On a serious note, in moderation I think it's okay, but there is a fine line between moderation and drunk, crying mess. Once you've got a buzz going it's really hard to moderate yourself, so I don't drink much at all.
  6. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Yes, that is one bad thing about alcohol, it might create stomach issues. If we think of it there are quite a few, and even worse when we grow old.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

To be honest, no. Alcohol has never really made me feel good. It can help me relax, unwind, loosen up and have a laugh with people but it has never ever made me feel good as such. If I have a drink, even if it's just a pint of lager, I need to be asleep within a few hours otherwise I started feeling dirty and groggy and get a headache. If I get drunk then I usually feel dirty and groggy for a couple of days and it's a horrible feeling. I've never liked alcohol much due to that fact.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Microbrew or craft beer has a much taste. It is better for you too cause it doesn't have the chemicals in it. It is usually locally made and they use higher standards. German beers have pretty high standards too. I like the gluten free ones too. It seems to agree with me more. If I were to have regular I get congested from it and can't sleep when it has gluten in it.
  9. Yeah, it does that to me too. Sometimes I'll be at a party and when it gets to me, I'll just sit alone thinking about something sad as I watch everyone have fun.
  10. I enjoy no more than two bottles, three at the max. Four could be tolerable, but five will give me a killer hangover. It's not just the hangover that I hate about being drunk. The state of being intoxicated is fun only the first thirty or so minutes. After that, I just hate the disorientation. I get this headache and nauseous feeling.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, of course it makes me feel good. It's the day after that's always been a problem for me. The hangovers, the shame you feel if you made a fool of yourself, and so on. I remember I once recorded myself drinking on my phone, and let me tell you, what I saw wasn't pretty, not pretty at all. That's the part that makes me feel bad.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Most probably those type of beers are more expensive than the usual beer. I do not want to spend on beers or other alcoholic beverages.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

When I was drinking it was the same cycle.
    I would start drinking thinking I would have fun and would be kind of having fun.
    Then I would get too drunk and either feel depressed or angry or other negative emotions then the next day I wouldn't feel very good.
    Not worth it for me! One of many reasons I quit.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I like the slight relaxed buzz I feel after having a glass of wine, but I rarely ever go beyond 2 glasses because I get dehydrated and wake up with a headache the next day. I am also one of those that does not like the feeling of being drunk so I avoid overdoing it. The "spins" are the worst.
  15. mailen

mailen Member

It's nice to drink with friends. But after that, the feeling is not good. You feel dizzy, sleepy and irritated. When i'm drunk I really can't sleep. I have this feeling of closing my eyes to sleep because my eyes are sleepy but my mind's awake. So in the morning when I wake up it's like I didn't sleep at all. I don't know why but it always happens to me.
  16. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Only if I haven't drank for a few days, and I finally get a bottle and unwind in front of my computer reading and listening to music or watching a movie/show. I start getting "inspired" the more drunk I get, and coming up with all sorts of ideas about anything and everything - sort of how some people say they are more "creative" when stoned. I seldom drink around others anymore, and usually just by myself, for a variety of reasons, so it's easier for me to let loose and not worry how I look or how I'm talking around others. Though Facebook can be a big problem if I'm not careful.

If I'm on a bender though, and go buy another bottle because I just ran out of the last one, then no, I usually don't feel as "good" - instead I feel more strung out and I'm only drinking more to avoid becoming restless and annoyed from coming down off my buzz. There have been times where I was drinking consistently for several days straight and even the fumes from the alcohol were making me dry heave, but I would still continue to drink.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I used to drink I only did so because of how I was feeling. I was always relaxed and not worrying about anything when I was drinking, so I guess that helped me cope with my problems as well. It was a bad habit and while those feelings were nice, it wasn't good for my health.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I tried to drink beer and I can't stand the bitterness! I tried drinking wine too, and I think it's a little less bitter than beer, but I still can't stand it's taste. I tried to finish one bottle of wine before, but I didn't really feel good after taking it.
  19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I'm not longer feeling good if I drink alcohol.

And it's not necessarily that I have to deal with emotional matters, but alcohol does not longer serve me to relax or to cheer me up. It might sound appealing to have a beer or to drink a shot of any given liquor, but it may happens that I feel sick afterward, so better not.
  20. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Depends on how much I drink. If I just have a couple of glasses of wine or a few beers I typically feel relaxed and well. If I go beyond that I become a bit sick and in a bit of a daze. I'm not a mean drunk at all though. Very relaxed either way.