An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you feel good when you drink alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 003, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I did feel good when I drank certain amount of alcohol, like super relaxed and capable to talk with anyone about anything I wanted. Of course I now realize how silly is that for me now, because now I feel with the freedom to t¿really speak my mind out without fear, and no need to drink a drop of alcohol.
  2. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I don't really see why people have got such a negative outlook over alcohol consumption. If you consume it in a moderate way, there's no need to worry; you're safe. You are even prone to keeping healthy if you drink one glass of wine a day, as it maintains a normal blood flow. So, yes, I could wholeheartedly say I like to consume alcohol in moderate quantities!
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

There are many things to keep in mind; how you consume alcohol, how others look at you when doing, and what your alcohol drinking story is.

Let's suppose you drink just a shot when attending a party. You were alcoholic once, but you managed to get clean and sober. Moreover, you are now sober on a daily basis, but you have earned enough self-control to drink just one shot or two from time to time without relapsing, so you go for it when such party comes up.

You can still abide by your own terms; no more than one drink, but having all people talking on your back about your drinking behavior and "labeling" as a detestable alcoholic or something worst.

And here is where an emotional factor may come into play; if you are strong enough, no harm for whatever people say, but if you are in a very bad emotional moment or sensible to others' critic, this could be the triggering factor for having you relapsing.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I don't mind having a drink or too but I don't like the effects of alcohol. I don't like that drunk and out of control feeling that you get. I never want to be at the point where I am so drunk that my speech is impaired and I can't walk. What a terrible thing. I see it all the time and I feel bad for the person to allow themselves to get in that state. The hangover the next morning isn't worth the drinking the night before. Moderation is the key. These days I hardly ever have a drink. It is just not my thing. There are so many other ways that I would prefer to have fun and I don't need alcohol and drugs to do that.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Since I am older now, I only have a drink or two to get a buzz and do not overdo it like I did when I was younger. Back then I was not done until I was practically puking and that is not healthy at all, nor do I feel good the next day. It is a fine balancing act these days and I only drink once in a while to relax for the evening.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I guess at one point in time I said that I did. It was more of a mask for me though. It made me feel "good" because it pushed all my other emotions away...only to have them rear their ugly head later. So I don't think it really was making me feel good, just hiding a true reality.
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Alcohol has different effects on everyone. Some people find that it is a social inhibitor and allows them to open up more while for others it can have the opposite effect. For me it really depends were and with whom I drink and till which point. If I drink and gut a bit of a buzz it can be very pleasant.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

When I drink booze at home I tend to get grumpy, not violent or crazy, just irriatable, but when I have a glass of wine or two, I feel really relaxed for the evening. I stick to wine these days.
  9. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Alcohol is a little overrated if you ask me. It's made out to be cooler than what it really is. In my college days I can honestly say that I drank at least 1 time a week during the weekends. More often than not I would get drunk and it was always terrible the morning afterwards. Now as an adult I drink very little, just a few times a year and in moderation. In my opinion, in moderation drinking is alright, I've even heard it to have some health benefits (depending on what you drink). The key problem is the overindulgence and that line that you cross when you let alcohol turn into an addiction and allow it to harm your body and control your life.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

That depends on your approach ;) I've met all sorts of drinkers in my life, some people drink to get drunk (I did) others drink to make their experience even more enjoyable. I am not in that group, I do it only once a year and I never let myself get drunk, I just snack on things like black olives and even some food :) Another great tip is to drink water after you are done drinking, but never before you are done.
  11. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

This is a question i really wish to ask my dad who is an alcohol addict but i do not have the courage to. Alcohol to me tastes like soapy water. I can't even talk about the spirits coz they just make me feel like vomiting. I wonder what addicts like in staff like these.
  12. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I actually find it very soothing in certain amount and I usually find the amount easily. I like to feel tipsy not wasted because tomorrow wasted causes me to hate myself and promise not to drink ever again...until I go out next Saturday. I like alcohol, hallucinogens and weed so if you use it properly you can get real fun. Just never over do it.
  13. MoxNRDA

MoxNRDA Member

No hangovers, lingering depression, dehydration, etc. and more energy; absolutely, I feel better not drinking, or only in moderation.
  14. remnant

remnant Community Champion

At first, when one is entering a bar, alcohol seems deceptively pleasant. It soothes the palate as well as the nerves. The music and the ambience are the icing on the cake. As one progresses with drinking, a peak is reached after which depression, anger and a feeling of vanity overtake. Whenever I became drunk, I usually imbibed more beer inflicting more financial ruin on my purse. Alcohol feels good at first but stings at the end.
  15. I feel an initial high and a bit of a slump. Unlike many other people I like alcohol which tastes good, so I am more likely to go for wine or rum. I usually mix them with other drinks like soft drinks or Real juice, so that the taste is good AND the effect is great as well.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It's supposed to make you feel good. People wouldn't endure the bitterness of alcohol if they didn't seek the pleasure from drinking it. The problem is some people get addicted to that pleasure and over do it. Being a moderate drinker means having self control, but for those who don't have that alcohol should be avoided.
  17. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I feel good initially. As intoxication progresses, I reach a plateau characterized by inebriation. At this stage, I reach for stronger drinks to maintain the high. At the endpoint, I face depression, hangover and financial ruin.
  18. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I do. Every time I drink I feel really good. I'm a happy drinker. I don't have hangovers. I've been drinking from a young age.
  19. madetofly

madetofly Member

Yes, but most of the time I can't realise myself as I lose myself after drinking.
    But I feel good like King. I fell at the top of the world.
    What about others I would like to know about others experience.
    Do they feel the same?
  20. tackykardia

tackykardia Member

It can make me feel good if I don't overdo it. If I just have one or two I'm fine. But more than that and I usually end up feeling bad later. I rarely drink at all anymore though so it rarely takes much for me to feel something from it.