An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you find inspiration in your faith?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Zyni, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

In any struggle, from hard drugs to quitting smoking, it can seem impossible to change your life for the better. I for one, believe in miracles, and find prayer and having others praying for me, to be a huge help. The messages of love, forgiveness, acceptance, grace, also touch my heart. Do you find inspiration and encouragement in your faith?
    stariie and morganmar33 like this.
  2. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Yeah but it mostly comes from my own life are kids. If I want to feel heaven or see it, little kids are always cool for the most part. When I want too see hell, I just look at adults. You take your heaven and hell with you is what I'm learning.
  3. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Yes and no. I don't find inspiration in a particular religious faith. I find I'm too cynical about religion when taken in it's entirety. But I do find inspiration in certain religious beliefs and quotes that focus on love, tolerance and becoming a better person.
  4. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

The true religion can only be one, just like science. You don't have a Mohammedan physics, a Hindu physics, a Christian physics; that would be nonsense. But that's what the religions have done – they have made the whole earth a madhouse.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

One has to have inspiration first to be aware of something, how it can benefit one, decide and sync with one's choice, and then hold onto it as one's faith, whatever that may be - it's a process. In other words, faith is a accumulation of inspiration, because once one has faith there is no doubt left and it becomes natural, requiring no reinforcement. Also, faith can be held for anything e.g. I have faith in nature, my family, and myself.
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Yes. I do find inspiration from my faith. It is what helps keep me grounded and keeps me on the right path. My faith guides my whole life and without it, I would not be who I am today.
    morganmar33 and Zyni like this.
  7. shandrum

shandrum Member

I do find inspiration in my faith when times are hard. I know that hardships build character, but sometimes I wonder when the light will shine. I try to think of all the things that I do have in my life. You can always find someone who has walked through a much harder path than you. But, until you really open up to others, you never really know their true hardships.
  8. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I guess I am blessed. I find great help, comfort, and peace, because of my faith. I wish that for everyone. Without it, I don't know where I'd be.
    morganmar33 likes this.
  9. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I am totally inspired by my faith in God. Without it I would be lost. If you are a person that finds inspiration through faith, I am sure you have found it quite helpful.
  10. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I do but I also think it depends on each person and their own faith. For me I think God has given me the power to decided on how to live my life so sometimes inspiration comes in the simple fact of trying to be a decent person. I love watching our children grow up and we have some amazing nieces and nephews. They provide a ton of inspiration as well as some good laughs.
  11. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

My faith in Jesus is the most important thing in my life. Without Him I would not have the strength to face the challenges life has thrown me. I know of a number of people who struggled with addiction for many years until they gave their life to Christ and then found the strength He provides to be sufficient to overcome addiction.
    MrsJones, morganmar33 and Zyni like this.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

That should inspire anyone who believes in God to fight harder because the fight is not theirs. All you need to do is have faith and lean on Him and He'll strengthen you when you are weak [and feel like you'll slip back to the abyss(addiction)]. So for me, yeah, I find inspiration in Him whom I believe.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that prayers and your belief helped you a lot.
    I do believe in miracles too and life itself is a big miracle for me as well as other things in this world especially those that man cannot explain. Having faith definitely gives hope.
    Zyni likes this.
  14. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

I believe that this really helps us who has struggled with this burden and carried it for so long. I believe through believing and trusting in a higher power and having faith, it will help you when you need it the most. In my experience it has been nothing like that warm comforting feeling coming over me letting me know that someone greater than me has my back. I know I have found strength when I have needed it the most, so try it out. Good luck!
  15. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

Even if you don't believe in God, or subscribe to a Christian viewpoint, the power of being positive can be an amazing thing in it's own right.
    MrsJones and Zyni like this.
  16. morganmar33

morganmar33 Member

God has always been there for me, even when I didn't think He was. We all have trials and rough times in life. I find solice in knowing it is all part of His plan. Things don't seem so scary and overwhelming when you realize you are in the arms of a perfect, infinite, and loving Father.
    MrsJones likes this.
  17. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Sorry, but it's not cut out for me. I have tried this before. But, I find it hard to believe in someone who I can't even see or haven't felt his presence. Good it's working for you!
  18. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

Since this year started, I've promised myself to strengthen my faith towards God, however, I usually break my New Years resolutions. I still want to build my relationship with him, but for some reason, it just doesn't work. I don't know if I'm waiting for a sign or if I'm just at a point in my life wherein I'm confused about my beliefs.

Or probably I'm just overthinking everything and I really just need to pray more persistently in order for God to answer my questions.
  19. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I find it kinda hart to find inspiration in my faith. Only thing that I had success with is believing in myself, but I really hope I can say I made all the right decisions sometimes.
  20. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

That is what faith is all about, believing in what you can't see or feel! God is not a human and we expect Him to behave like one. Feelings are the enemy of faith. You cannot live by feelings. The fact that all the planets stay in place cannot be explained and even scientists have concluded that there has to be some great force that keeps them where they are! I find great joy and comfort in my relationship with the living God.! No-one is more interesting, creative and inspiring! Just look at yourself!
    MrsJones likes this.