An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you find that certain situations trigger your cravings to smoke?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by singingintherain, Oct 9, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

The weather here is starting to get warmer as we head towards summer. This will be my first summer as a non-smoker in many years. I've been finding that the sunny weather has brought back some cravings.

Does anyone else find certain circumstances like this produce more cravings? I've been trying to find some relaxing outdoor activities to keep my mind off it. Lots of gardening and housework has helped but it is so tempting to sit outside smoking in the sun.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

At the moment I'm not addicted anymore but in the past social situations triggered me. Whenever we sat down at a table or in a bar I had the tendency to smoke since I always had to keep myself busy. It made those situations really hard.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think people smoke for a variety of reasons and circumstances often affect how much and when a person smokes.

After a meal, in stressful situations are just two examples of when most people smoke more, and even I'd they want a cigarette they'll have one anyway because of the routine they are in.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

In my experience, my craving for cigarettes was usually triggered by stress. Back then, I used to handle a lot of people and I was always swamped with work. My excessive workload and responsibilities at work caused me too much stress. So I tend to smoke a lot and drink loads of coffee. I can go for a whole day without eating. I’m fine with just coffee and cigarettes.
  5. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

My main triggers are drinking, boredom, and stress. If I'm out at a party or drinking with friends, I smoke more than I usually do per day. If it drags on long enough, I can go through a pack easily. Boredom and stress are the most frequent triggers, but I have been trying to find ways around it.

When I'm bored, I try to seek out an activity that will occupy my hands and my time; something that engages me, like a hardcore video game. I've tried meditation to manage stress, but its been hit or miss lately.
  6. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

@Mims I think boredom has a lot to do with my cravings too! In social situations it was something to do with my hands, and when I was alone it was something to keep me occupied and give my day structure.

I try to find other ways to deal with those aspects now.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I remember years ago whenever I would have a drink I would want to smoke. I never smoked any other time but for some reason as soon as I had a few drinks I craved a cigarette. I never had any desire to have one other then that.
  8. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I think certain situations bring on the cravings more than others. I also agree with most of the posters here that stress can be and usually is one of the biggest triggers to smoking or craving for a cigarette.

Finding an interesting, time consuming hobby can make life a whole lot easier as you tend to forget about the craving and carry on with what you are doing! I also find that chewing on something(keeping your mouth busy)like gum or a sweet decreases the cravings or helps curb them in a way!

Quitting is never easy and staying clean is even harder. Do hang in there though!
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Of course. Social situations always make me want to smoke. I don't know why, but I tend to get very anxious every time I'm around a lot of people. Also, talking on the phone makes me turn into a chimney. I also love to smoke when it's cold.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think that some triggers can really be the cause of temptation. You could try replacement habits like chewing gum
    or popping popcorn to distract you, that may help. If the sun is what makes you want to smoke, you should definitely use other outdoor activities to stop that. Of course it is unhealthy to hide from the sun. I hope some of this advice helps.
  11. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

Whenever it starts getting cold out I really want to smoke a cigarette. Especially if I drink coffee. I drink a lot of iced coffee in the fall/winter and I did last year, too. When I drank coffee last year I always smoked a cigarette and now drinking coffee in the colder weather without a cigarette is definitely triggering.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well that actually can be true. Most people associate smoking with after dinner or meals. It is kind of hard to escape that one. I would imagine there can be all sorts of triggers for that. Some people smoke because of stress. This can happen a lot.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Now that you mention it, heat from the sun would always make me want to smoke more. It always seemed like having a cigarette would help bring my body temperature down and make me cool down a bit. The worst things for me were first thing in the morning, whenever I had a coffee and after eating food.
  14. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

I get my cravings when I'm really stressed and when I have eaten a heavy meal. But then craving would be wrong word to use since I haven't exactly quit to give cravings a chance. I also feel the need to smoke when I'm frustrated, bored or just feeling cranky. Cigarettes just buzz those feelings out of my system. For a while.
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Most certainly, if you are stuck in a situation that you don't really want to be in, and someone leaves to go and have a smoke but you are not able to do the same. That would be my biggest trigger. Some people say that their biggest trigger is having a cup of coffee, but I never really associated the two. I think every smoker has a different trigger.