An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you find yourself replacing one addiction with another?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by IrishHeather, May 4, 2015.

1. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Do you find yourself replacing one addiction with another. I have come to the realization that I have possibly become addicted to reading and online gaming. I have never really thought of myself as having an addictive personality but reflecting back on my choice of paths through life I think I may have to re-analyze my past behaviors. I was just wondering if anyone else may have noticed this as well in their own situations (or am I just a weirdo) LOL!
    Anne923 and Joseph like this.
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

For me it's not really replacing an addiction to another addiction. It's more of a re-direction from addiction to more productive activities, which should be a positive thing. As long as what you're doing right now is something which can positively affect and influence you, I wouldn't call that an addiction. Just make sure that you don't overdo because anything in excess often turns to something negative.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

As long as your new addiction is legal and safe, that's fine by most. Now if you were going to say you traded out weed for speed, that we have a problem. But if you are just sticking to the internet and not hurting anyone, or breaking the law, then go for it.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I think it's quite common for individuals dealing with an addiction to replace that addiction with another while trying to recover from substance abuse. If we're already addicted to something, then our minds are somewhat wired to be addicted to something, so we project those tendencies onto something else, whether it's another substance or a simple activity.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello @IrishHeather, I don't think getting addicted to reading is a bad thing. That's actually fine. I, myself, is a bookworm as well, and I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as you're still on the right track and don't do people any harm, you're good. ;)
  6. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

It's a bad idea, I have a friend who replaced drinking with his Hashish habit, although he only drinks at night, but he found himself deep into alcohol addiction and relapsed and smokes Hashish again.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think replacing one addiction with another is very common when people are trying to recover from any substance.

People need something to replace the habit and this can often lead to replacing one habit for another.
  8. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

It's definitely common for people to replace one addiction with another. I transferred addictions all throughout my days of drinking and using. Eventually I had to dig deep to explore exactly why my addictive tendencies were dominating my life. Even now with "healthy addictions" like exercise and nutrition I need to limit myself in certain aspects of these (like not exercising for more than I need to) and always be conscious that I'm not becoming compulsive with anything I do. Reading and online gaming are both escapes...maybe not as physically self destructive as drugs or alcohol but I think it's good that you're being introspective about your habits and analyze exactly why you're feeling like you may be spending too much time with them. You're definitely not weird for doing this!
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Depending on what you replace it with can sometimes be a benefit. If you replace your addiction with exercise or another creative hobby then it can actually help you in recovery.
  10. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Replacing an addiction with online gaming is possibly the best scenario one can hope for. Furthermore, addiction itself can be a fuzzy term. You can get hooked onto different things (not drug related) but you rarely get physically or mentally addicted to them. Depending on what you replace your addiction with, it could either for better or for worse. It's all too relative.
  11. ksb00

ksb00 Member

When i stopped using drugs i started drinking pretty heavily but i only did it for about 7 months. Then i almost completely stopped drinking. It was kind of a weird situation but i feel i took up drinking for a while to replace doing the drugs. :rolleyes:
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I guess humanity is prone to that. It's like a defense mechanism of sorts. Moderation is a challenging feat and most of the people who've managed to control their desires and other propensities are those who serve the other-worldly plane (e.g. monks, priests, pastors, etc.). It's not like I condone replacement addiction but if it doesn't hurt you, family, friends, career and physical, mental and emotional health, then I guess it can be tolerated.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think this is a common trait in most people, not only addicts, because people are usually very comfortable with routines and patterns so removing one part of the pattern would only make us want to replace is with something else to fill the void. Some who may have a personality that are less likely to be susceptible to this might not, but I am guessing this is true for most.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Besides being prone, I'm sure replacing one addiction with another is mostly done inadvertently, and therefore you will never know until an addictive behavior is brought to your attention.

Furthermore, people tend to believe addiction refers to alcohol, drugs and other substances, when the human being may develop addiction to thousands of other things; addiction to work, addiction to sex, addiction to reading, addiction to watch TV, and so on.

However is easier to detect addiction replacement when it comes to common addictive patterns. In example, I was addict to alcohol, but when I said "enough is enough," I replaced this with a Vicks Vaporub inhaler to cope with the need of having "something" to help me go through the day.
  15. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Oh hell yes! When I stopped drinking, I replaced the drink with food, it wasn't taboo and no one would ever know I was ding it.. apart from when I gained 60lbs. SO then I stopped eating and became addicted to fasting and exercise. I was eating about 600 calories a day and burning off about 2000 (that includes the standard 1500 calorie burning) I was addicted to becoming thinner and the compliments I was getting. I did permanent damage to my heart and stomach a result.
  16. Nonn

Nonn Member

28 years later, I've finally started finding an addiction in healthy things, like balance, good diet, exercise, etc.
    Winterybella likes this.
  17. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Some people do this unconsciously. It is so important to be aware of yourself and be able to difference the good from the bad. Our bad habit of self medicating rarely turns out for the best. Its all about focus and awareness.
  18. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have never been addicted to drugs or alcohol but I am pretty sure I might presently be "addicted ' to the computer if that makes any sense. I feel like there are good and bad addictions and if you happen to be addicted to good things it might be okay. Balance still wins when you look at the overall picture.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I do suffer from an addictive personality, so I need to be careful with addcitions. Right now I'm dealing with both food and sugar addiction, which is making me feel so depressed, specially because I feel so pressed to lose the weight I gained last year.

I'm so fed up, everyone acts like I should be concerned what they think about me, about me gaining weight, like I am here just so they find me attractive. Sure, I live for that! If I lose the few pounds I gained this year it will be for me! Not for them! I'm working on these addictions for myself and no one else.
  20. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Absolutely! I have found myself replacing all of my "illegal" or substance addictions with things like, food, soda, sex, even chipping nail polish off! I think I have a type of OCD that causes some of this. My doctor suggested that.