New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you hallucinate after drinking?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Profit5500, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

We already know that when you drink alcoholic beverages to the core you exercise poor judgement. You do not think about the decisions that you make causing fatal errors. A lot of people would slur their speech while talking. Other folks would just end up being dizzy due to the strong effects of the alcohol. Do you have hallucinations when you drink?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I don't drink but I've been around alcoholics who get paranoid when they have had too much to drink. They believe they hear voices, imagine that everyone is their enemy. While technically those are not hallucinations, they come pretty close to that.
  3. 003

003 Community Champion

No, it's probably because I haven't been able to drink to the point that I've come to be doing unimaginably bad things. But I have experienced in which I'd throw up repeatedly and consecutively even after the drinking. I was able to already experience that hangover, though. But not that hallucination, and I wouldn't want to experience that in any way. Also, I'm not sure if I've also come to the point of experiencing that being wobbly.
  4. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I used to get very drunk, but I can't recall hallucination, just feeling drunk. Gladly those days are left behind and I am not living a healthier life.
  5. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

6. Peninha

Thanks for the link metal. Actually, I think that only if we mix alcohol with pills or other drugs we can hallucinate as alcohol increases the effects from those other drugs.
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't think alcohol has shown to be a hallucination. I think alcoholism may make you hallucinate though. My dad's girlfriend's father had some serious addiction issues. I'm talking walking up have way through the night to get in a couple shots before going back to bed. I believe that near the end of his addiction he struggled with his grip on reality. I'm not sure if it was caused by the withdrawals or the constant state of not knowing what the hell is going on.
  8. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

There is a big difference from slurred speech and not being able to focus your eyes, to hallucinating. I am going to assume you have never been drunk? I have drank for over 20 years, usually quite regular, but I have NEVER hallucinated. I realize someone left a link up above, but since it is a Wikipedia, I am not going to take it too seriously. I question if this is real. I have been around alcohol-drinkers my whole life and have never heard anyone ever mention this. If it really happens, it is probably not from alcohol. People that go on week long benders are depriving themselves of food, water, and sleep. Hallucinations can occur from a lack of any of these things.
  9. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I am inclined to agree with primalclaws197, I have never heard of anyone hallucinating from alcohol intake no matter how high the intake might be. Usually people just experience the normal drunk symptoms and some memory loss here and there also dependent on the level that person's drunkenness is!
    I am yet to hear of hallucinations, in my experience it is usually when the person has taken another type of substance on top of the alcohol then they will definitely hallucinate.
  10. Peninha

Your brain needs to be with a high level of alcohol to hallucinate, eventually we would pass out or be killed before that, so it's not common.
  11. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Nope, I don't think I ever had any hallucinations while drunk though I did like the feeling it gave me. I've quit drinking five years ago and lucky enough, unlike my addiction for smoking, my liking for alcohol never came back even if I tried (yes, I did try).
  12. piez

piez Member

That is interesting to hear. I have personally never had any sort of hallucination from drinking. I think the only way you could legitimately hallucinate from alcohol is if it is mixed with other drugs or drank in extreme excess.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't know about hallucinations, but drinkers probably get a sense of distorted reality in which their inhibitions are lifted and it may make them feel a different sort of reality by doing this. For some it causes them to be more open and less shy but I've honestly never heard of people getting hallucinations in terms of seeing things.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol doesn't make you hallucinate, well, not from my experience anyways. With alcohol there will come a point of high when all of you barriers will come tumbling down and you have that liquid courage in you. Then there is the after effects where you sink in your chair and possibly vomit. Never did I hallucinate.
  15. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I don't hallucinate, but it is worse because I get blackout drunk. Usually, alcohol can't really cause hallucinations. I have never experienced this.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Hallucination while drinking is an interesting one. Must be something else in the mix. I am not sure it's possible. Maybe with tequila I think i have people talk about that. They eat the worm and it makes them hallucinate. Yuck it is so nasty to even think about. Somebody could have slipped them something like a mushroom. Prescription drugs can make you hallucinate for sure. If you drink while on something like this it could certainly happen.
    No, I've not experienced this.
  17. henry

henry Community Champion

No, never in my drinking life have I had hallucinations with alcohol, unless I've mixed it with something. All I have the next morning is a big hangover. If you could hallucinate with alcohol, hippies wouldn't have gone wild sucking on LSD.
  18. BigSnoop

BigSnoop Member

i tend to hallucinate a little when i drink and sometimes it can be fun but i think sooner or later that can have an affect on me in the long run.
  19. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have never had that problem thankful. I drank heavily for many years I know it effects people in different ways. I do recall just being in a haze, and not seeing clearly. Blurred vision can make things appear strange especially in a drunken state. I guess for some people it happens for instance the pink elephant you see people on movies see something strange while nursing a bottle. They look at the bottle, and think it's due to being drunk.
  20. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I have never experienced any hallucinations after drinking. I do not even think that it is possible unless you drink A LOT of alcohol. When I drank a lot of alcohol, I usually just ended up really tired. I am sure that hallucinations can be artificially caused. For example, someone could add a pill or something to your beer that would cause you to hallucinate. This is the only way I could see it being possible.