An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you hate the aftertaste of cigarette in your mouth?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Hiraeth, May 5, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

I've been smoking for a while now. Initially I didn't mind the taste it left in my mouth, it wasn't pleasant but I could let it go. Lately I've noticed how I need to wash my mouth or at least drink water after smoking to get rid of the taste that I'm suddenly beginning to hate. It seems fine while I'm smoking, but when I'm done I need to get the smell off my lips and tongue.

It usually bothers me less when I smoke menthol cigarettes, but I try not to smoke these too much as I've heard it's particularly bad for the throat.

Does anyone else feel this way?
  2. miro1231

miro1231 Member

No, I actually like the immediate aftertaste when smoking - generally about 10 minutes after smoking. After that it really becomes not as tolerable for me, as the smell decreases for those around me. The other time when I don't like the aftertaste is indirectly, when a girl refuses to kiss me because of the smell/taste of cigarettes in my mouth. It really is a bummer, but I don't think I'd quit for something like this. Yes, I know about the existence of gum, but it isn't something that's around everytime, you know.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm not sure many people actually like the taste and the smell of smoking, at the end of the day people smoke because it's an addiction.

It's the nicotine craving that makes people smoke rather than anything else.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't smoke at all, but i fin it interesting that I hate kissing a girl that has been smoking. Sorry I had to say that, it's somewhat relatable.
    AAngelo likes this.
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Funny guy. Yeha kissing a girl that smoked is a total turn off. It is a downer that she passed all the other test but the final oral exam she blows it and has smokey breath.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I used to like it, yeah. Although some brands of cigarettes give you an aftertaste which resemble a dead body taste one, I made sure to smoke only menthol and/or expensive cigarettes. These ones ensured that this experience doesn't happen. Ugh, I get shivers even thinking about it.
  7. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I don't mind the after taste of smoking. I barely notice it actually. Though I am with JoshPosh. Kissing someone who just smoked, no matter how attractive, is somewhat of a turn off. Though tasting anything out of your companions mouth is a turn off in general for me.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

OK, how on earth do you know what a dead body tastes like?

Seriously though, that'll be the formaldehyde. It is found in most brands of cigarettes and is also used as an embalming fluid!
  9. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I don't mind the taste in my mouth really, I just want to get rid of the smell of smoking for social reasons only by washing my teeth or chewing a gum. Some people just hate the smell of cigarettes and I don't blame them.