An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you have a strict Routine?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Zyni, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Does sticking to a strict routine help you stay clean and sober?

Years ago, I had begun drinking more than usual. I changed my routine to fill up my time with other things, so I wouldn't be as tempted to go out drinking. I think I was on a bad path at that time, so on the advice of a friend I tried creating a better routine, which I feel helped me get more in control.

Does structure and routine help you?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I stopped drinking and smoking, mind you, not at the same time, I didn't exactly have a strict routine, but I practiced firm discipline in my habits. I figured that I needed to temporarily replace my addiction with some other kind of"addiction". So, I got myself "addicted" to gardening. Focusing on plants and creating a fruit and vegetable garden was my "discipline". I would get up at sunrise and attend to my garden before I went to work, and then preoccupy my mind all day with new projects for my backyard. This daily physical and mental routine helped me stay on the straight and narrow.
    Zyni likes this.
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

For many people, structure and order is completely necessary in their lives and without it, there is utter chaos. I am not really that way because I like to do things spontaneously. That is just my personality, though, and I am sure that many people have a strict and disciplined lifestyle.
    Zyni likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Having a routine can help someone stay sober especially if you "schedule" different activities to take up the time which you previously spent abusing a substance. But the most important thing about having a strict routine is that you'll know exactly what to do and at what time it must be done. Since you'll have no time to spare for anything else . . .
  5. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

I have a routine and it is something that I learned from a Tony Robbins Seminar. He was saying that most of the time when we are tempted to do something it is just that we are entering a state that we find pleasure. So he was saying that every time you feel yourself being tempted to fall into your addiction you should break it by doing something that ties pain to the feeling. I have been doing it and I can tell you that it has been really powerful.

It like what you spoke about. When you fill up your day with things that you have to do then you will be breaking the state that normally makes you feel like you want to do whatever it is that you are not supposed to be doing.
    Zyni likes this.
  6. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Yes, I have, everyday for almost anything that I do. I stick to routines religiously and I write them all down on my planner so I don't forget. Routines are important because they take over the burden of motivation. If you are motivated to do something, say, a project, you'll have that motivation for two weeks tops. Instead of relying on motivation to carry you through, work on building a routine within those two weeks. When your drive eventually goes away, your project won't seem like such a pain to do because you've built up a routine.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

All of us has many routines to do in our life be it at home, school and in the workplace. If you keep ourselves busy to do all your responsibilities for a day then your mind and emotions are occupied and the tendency is that you have no more time to deal yourself to those temptations that will come your way. This is the same if you are trying to recover from an addiction the more you concentrate on doing your routines the more you will have focus to stay away from your old bad habits that will pave the way to give you a healthy lifestyle as well.
  8. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I often feel like routine is what gets me through the day with the fewest amount of pills possible to be functional. I can't try to do too much. I plan my schedule with a lot of rest and I plan to hurt some. I need to be hurting in some ways because if I'm pain free it means two things: I took too many pills and I'll probably REALLY injure myself without noticing. Last time, for instance, I tore out some internal stitches and ended up spending an additional 3 weeks in the hospital. Now, I plan my day so that I get help with things I shouldn't do so I'm not tempted to struggle to complete things on my own. The routine is something I have control over. Sticking to it gives me something to hold onto when things are bad.
  9. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Interesting. I think this goes to the whole "make it into a (good) habit" thing. We basically program ourselves to do things by doing them repetitively. Makes sense.

@Fern, I'm sorry to hear that you're in such pain. I feel for you. Pain is my struggle as well. It also keeps me from sticking to my routine at times, but trying to have a routine does seem to help. Maybe it is all about the control factor. Maybe it's forming new habits. I'm not sure, but it some seem to make things more manageable.
  10. Rex

Rex Community Champion

I really do have a strict routine.
    I get up early, go for a run, go to work, write for a couple of hours, read for a couple of hours and surf the net for an hour. Its boring i know but its keeping me sober.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

What are you writing, exactly?
  12. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

I have found that routine can greatly help avoid relapse. Boredom and uncertainty are my biggests enemies. I have started a workout that I do every morning, and that helps immensely. I even make sure that I do my hygiene the same time and way every day to help me stay on routine. It helps SOOOO much.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't have a routine at all - every day is a bit different. I don't even get up at the same time every day - insomnia means I'll just take sleep when I can get it. Once I'm up, I do have a "coffee, shower, get dressed" routine, but I guess it's pretty much the same for everyone.
  14. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

Strict routines drive me nuts! Always have and always will. I have a kind of inner clock that ticks along but it doesn't necessarily tick the same way every day. Some people find getting into a routine helps them, though. So I guess it's just what works for the individual that counts.
  15. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Hi.
    Im working on a novel and also some short stories. I write in the horror genre.
  16. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

Boring isn't necessarily a bad thing. Boring and predictable can be comforting. It also can help get things done that might otherwise slide during times of emotional crisis.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think structure is a good way to staying sober. It's when yo uget bored or have too much time on your hands is when those temptations start calling your name. Set you alarm at a certain time, and get your daily activities ready to go and on a schedule.
  18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't anymore. I used to have a structure of things that I would do daily but that didn't make me feel happy at all. My routine was something that would rule my life and I found out that being able to do what you want daily, according to what was going to happen that day was something that helped me get sober.
  19. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

From what I learned from psychology is that some people work very well with routines, and some don't. Ever since I have began following a routine, my life feels much more organized, and I feel like I'm getting more done. My friends on the other hand can never get anything done when they try following a routine, and absolutely hate them. I personally love strict routines, but I believe it isn't for everyone.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it does, because if you have a routine, then you will stick to it and of course there is nothing in there that says that you will take a drink or smoke, so you would "force" yourself to adhere to it, as compared to not having a routine, which means "anything goes" and that includes taking a drink, smoke, or even drugs, right? So for me, having a routine is better than not having one.