An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you have alcohol with your meals?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Maybe you are in a fancy restaurant or you were invited to a dinner. Do you drink something like wine to go with your meal?
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I sometimes do this yes. I like to have a drink before dinner. It livens the mood and is a fun thing to take advantage of. I think it is one of the things that I do that is a habit. However, when I can't afford it, I don't drink. Drinking also has a lot of calories so I take that into consideration as well
  3. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

A lot of the time I do, it depends what I eat though. I usually get dinner from a local restaurant near to where I work. I usually either have a beer or a glass of wine with my food. The food is cheap and so is the drinks. I don't see a problem with it though, I usually just order my food and a drink at the same time(I know the place well enough to just order as I walk in). I drink half a beer while I wait for the food and finish it while I eat the meal.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Drinking a digestif or aperitif was part of my meals before falling into alcohol addiction. Alcoholic beverages such as Pernod, Campari, Cinzano, and several other vermouth and sprinkling wines have digestive properties and minimal amount of alcohol.

However I don't longer drink these or any wine, unless it's served during a formal dinner, but not as per request.

In those days of aperitifs, I might or might not have a wine with my meals, and then an after-dinning shot, mostly a cup of brandy or cognac, or coffee "enhanced" with Kahlua.
  5. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I never could drink, and eat. A lot of people like pizza, and beer not me I'd always have a soda with my pizza. This is true for any type of food I will not drink while eating anything. My husband does it all the time. I have tried wine at red lobster once I didn't enjoy it at all. I must have a soda I think men are more into that then women.
  6. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I do but I always remark that if the meal is good my drink will go untouched until I've finished it! It might actually be a better idea for me to just have a glass of water when I'm out as there is really no need for alcohol. I don't drink wine and it's not often that beers are matched to food. Quite often I find the combination a bit weird, rather than enjoyable.
  7. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I do sometimes have alcohol with my meal. Alcohol is not bad if it is done in moderation. I actually do not like the taste of alcohol, but the family gatherings usually have it so I drink it. It is important that you do not abuse it! Alcohol should be used in moderation and not abused at all!
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I actually don't order alcoholic drinks in restaurants, even if it's only wine. I barely do that, close to never. I love drinking in private or whenever I am hanging out with some good old friends.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There'd be no need to test yourself if you are fighting an addiction.

If you want to beat an alcohol addiction abstention is what will work for you. Trying to drink "in moderation" after meals for example would take you right back to where you were. It might start slowly but you'll find yourself drinking more . . . and more until you are back to drinking as you used to.

Sometimes you have to say no.
  10. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I'm actually pretty accustomed to drinking alcohol at all meals I take, but I only take a sip of wine. I don't drink a whole bottle of beer and/or wine, don't worry. In my country, this is quite of a habit.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I never drink alcohol with my meals. I would rather have water when I am eating. I just don't find that food tastes good with alcohol of any kind. Sometimes I may have a beer before my meal arrives but that is a very rare occasion.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

In short, no. I could never enjoy an alcoholic drink with food. They just never went together. It would ruin the taste of the food and the food would ruin the taste of the alcohol. Drinking and eating food just never went together for me.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Not me. I always hated mixing food with alcohol. I'm the type of drinker that doesn't like to eat until I stop drinking. I remember I had a friend who loved it. He was an alcoholic, and at lunch time, he always had a glass of rum right by his plate. I thought that was crazy.
  14. cjcasey83

cjcasey83 Member

I actually never drink alcohol with my meals. It is nice to have drinks before and after dinner, just never during. I'm not sure why, I just don't like to drink and eat at the same time. I know that a lot of wines are made to go with food, so maybe I am missing out. Oh well, I could always drink after I suppose!
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

No I don't. If I go to a restaurant with friends and family, I just drink water for the most part. Alcohol is done in a bar away from that type of setting. It's all about the atmosphere. I don't want to make a scene in the restaurant.
  16. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

No I don't. Never ever would want to drink at a busy restaurant.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I do have it sometimes and a glass of rum with some coca cola is nice with some ice at night and feels refreshing as well and do enjoy myself when having that and makes the meal more better to eat, and digest as well with friends and family. In a restaurant I have wine when there is a special and also I try and drink the good ones which are mild and have a nice taste in the mouth and can be good when it is a weekend, or Friday night as the next day I can relax and sleep in a bit. I only drink alcohol when I have a meal outside which happens to be not that often, and usually go with friends and maybe a special occasion which can be a nice time to have a drink.
  18. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

I don't really drink very often but when I do it is usually at home with friends or family maybe after a meal , but never with a meal. One or two drinks while relaxing every now and then is nice.
  19. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I like to take wine with the food at restaurants. It livens up the aspect of going out for me. Then again it depends who it is I have for company as some people are squishy about taking a drink with food.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was offered some wine to go with some meals last year, tried a bit, but I just didn't like it. Not sure if it's because I never really liked wine, or because I feel kinda disgusted to even think about alcohol, but I couldn't get into this at all. I don't enjoy it one bit. I love piña colada though, but with very little alcohol.