An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you have alcohol with your meals?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Sometimes, I do. If it's specifically a fancy meal, though, I'm more likely to have only a glass or two of a nice wine.

Conversely, if I'm out drinking instead, I may end up ordering food at some point, but it's going to be bar food like fries or pizza.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Not these days, honestly. Maybe on the very odd occasion and it would be only one glass. It's not only better for me to do that for my health but also for my wallet - I usually just stick to water!
  3. One way to help my insomnia is to have just one lite lager after a meal. There is a 95% probability that I will sleep within 10 minutes of hitting the bed. What I do is have a warm bath, eat a sizeable meal and then drink just one lager. Once the lights are out and the music is soft, I will wake up only to find it's 5 a.m. However, I never take my meals with alcohol as it tends to mess my food up.
  4. Skyler

Skyler Member

Yes. Currently I drink wine with my dinner. I enjoy the way wine tastes and goes with food.

This is one of the areas that I know will be a challenge for me if totally abstaining. Part of it is the ritual of it for sure. I know I am emotionally attached to the idea of having that glass of wine with dinner as much as the drink itself. I don't ever think of having a mixed drink or cocktail with a meal but wine, all the time.
  5. Mrooh

Mrooh Member

Wine goes good with some meals, and can have positive health effects. But I can't drink a beer while eating, it feels weird, I don't like it.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If we go out for a meal on a special occasion, birthday or anniversary then I'll usually have a beer or a couple of glasses of wine but only if everybody else is.

Any other time though I'd rather just stick to a soft drink to be honest. Even when I was struggling with alcohol I never really drank with my meals, it would always be instead of earting or I'd eat later on.
  7. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Nope. I'll very occasionally have a drink after eating, but never during. I don't want to mix alcohol with food. I associate food with water and milk, and not a whole lot else. Even pop usually gets pushed to the wayside.

That said, I like cooking with alcohol. Wine and beer can make for some interesting taste combinations when used to cook meat. But I don't typically cook with enough alcohol to give more than a light buzz, as most of the actual alcohol is burned away during the cooking.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

These days, if I was driving, I wouldn't touch any alcohol if I were going out to eat at a restaurant. I've already got two DUI's and I cannot afford to risk a third one because I will be in jail for years if that happens again. If I knew there was a DD though, I certainly would have one or two but that's it, because I hate paying the inflated prices restaurants charge for wine and liquor.

With meals at home, even though I am a big drinker, I don't often have alcohol with my meals, unless it was a special occasion and/or I was entertaining. I would certainly have some wine if I were invited to dinner at someone's house, or if I were hosting a dinner. If I was throwing a pizza party, I would probably have some beers with it. But beyond that, I prefer to drink on it's own, so I can enjoy the buzz. The food kind of subdues the buzz too much.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Only rarely. I do like a cold beer every now and then but in restaurants, I'm usually too cheap to pay the over-inflated drinks prices. In any case, I find water helps me digest a bit better. Beer with meals usually makes me feel too full.
  10. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I don't usually consume alcohol with my meals with the exception of Christmas time when the drinks have a bit of rum in them or when I am drinking wine that has alcohol in it.
  11. Missfortune81

Missfortune81 Member

I also don't like to eat and drink at the same time. For the most part, I prefer to drink on an empty stomach, which I know is not the best idea. Drinking makes me very hungry though so I can't keep it up for vey long. Eventually, I will cave in and eat something. Then once I have food in my stomach, I don't want to drink anymore. Very strange,indeed.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not drink any alcoholic drinks now even in a fancy restaurant or even in a party. I rather drink fruit juices or just plain water. :)
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I used to have a beer or wine with my meals but I kind of stopped doing that. I usually have some fresh fruit juice or sodas with my meals, depending on what I'm eating. Orange juice in the morning alongside scrambled eggs is the best! :D
  14. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

I mostly have water, honestly. It's cheaper and healthier. I do have wine with the dinner during special occasions such as christmas, though. It's really nice and it really adds to the meal, but it's not something I would do every day.
  15. x9859x

x9859x Member

I have never had an alcoholic drink with any of my meals. I always think about drinking red wine while eating crab legs with white rice and broccoli, but I am too scared to attempt it due to my addiction with alcohol. One drink is never enough for me, and so I just avoid drinking any alcoholic drink with my meals. I usually just have a glass of water with my meals and I am content with it. Sometimes I dream about my eating a meal and having a glass of red wine with the meal and I feel completely satisfied which makes it difficult at times whenever I wake up from my dream. I hope one day I am strong enough to have only one alcoholic drink with my meal, but until then I am just going to continue to just have water with my meals.
  16. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I only have alcohol with my meals on special occasions. I used to have wine with my lunch and dinner, unless I was driving, but don't anymore. I have found that the meals taste better without the wine.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have a glass of wine or two with dinner some nights, but I do not go around hard liquor anymore. The stuff just does not agree with me and I used to have a problem with it. With wine, I am mellow and can just kind of relax and enjoy the meal and the company. I do not overdo it with wine.
  18. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Well, to be honest, it depends on the meal, on the company, and also on the fact whether or not you actually drink alcohol at all. As for me, I rarely go to restaurants, but at home, once a week me and my family share a beer (0.5l) - each one of us gets one glass of beer, usually with French fries and chicken.
  19. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I rarely ever have alcohol with my meal. I used to order a cocktail, hard cider, or glass of wine with my meal on special occasions, however, I do not do that anymore. I usually stick to what is healthy, a glass of ice water with my meal. Sometimes I will have a Coke if it is a special occasion.
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It depends on my mood, but I usually don't drink while eating, or after it. Only if I'm attending a formal event, and not even then. I only drink milk along with cereals, ha ha.