An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you have alcohol with your meals?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 22, 2015.

1. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I have absolutely no desire for alcohol in any form. Jesus changed me. I only drink water with meals. I used to always drink with meals and all the time.
  2. rikka

rikka Member

Most of the time, I don't order alcoholic beverages when I eat. For me, pizza and spaghetti go well with soda, not beer. Even in fancy restaurants, I do not order alcohol because I usually do not skim the alcohol beverage part in the menu. But in case of Korean food, I like makgeolli with food rather than soju because makgeolli tastes a bit sweet.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I can't! Since I got sober I made a pact with God to never allow alcohol into my system.
    I regret that I ruined alcohol for myself, I see people enjoying a glass of wine and it looks nice.
    But because of my past transgressions I cannot.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The only time I ever drink wine with my meals is during Christmas. I prefer to drink red wine with fruits, cinnamon cake, chocolate or spaghetti. Since I'm not a huge drinker, a few small sips from half a wine glass would do. I also like to drink fruit wine with cakes or any dessert for that matter. If you drink responsibly, there's no way you'd end up dead drunk.
  5. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

While I'll usually have soda or just water, if the host of the meal has ordered wine I do share a glass of wine. Dinners at fancy restaurants are not an every day occurrence and I'm not a big fan of wine, so a glass once in a while is ok with me.
  6. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

No, because I know that I would always want more, and that definitely isn't a good idea for me at all. Alcohol is something that you need to cut out of your life completely, because if you have just a small amount, you are always going to want more. I think it is always better to be safe than sorry, so just going without alcohol entirely seems like the sensible option for me most of the time.
  7. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

Sometimes I do, but I have to be careful. I was one of those alcoholics that could never stop at just one or two drinks. If I am in important company, I generally will not order an alcoholic beverage so there is no risk of me going overboard. When I am out with my husband, I will have a drink or two if it is okay with him, but he watches me very closely.
  8. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I rarely do. As i stated i only drink alone when i write or when relaxing with some of my friends. In those rare occasions when i do drink alcohol while having a meal it is usually white wine in combination with fish. As i said that happens rarely because i am a vegetarian and eat fish meat occasionally. Several times a month, maybe. I like food very much and i enjoy making it so for me, alcohol goes into the food not into me while consuming the food.
  9. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

A glass of wine is a must with a non vegetarian meal. Every time I have a steak or lamb chops for dinner I make sure I have a glass of wine to wash it down with. I don't know if it's a habit or wine just goes brilliantly well with red meat but I am hooked.
  10. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Drinking with fооd slоws dоwn thе rаtе thаt аlсоhоl is аbsоrbеd intо thе blооdstrеаm. Yоu’rе аlsо likеly tо drink mоrе slоwly if yоu’rе еаting а mеаl аt thе sаmе timе. If yоu stоp whеn yоu'vе finishеd еаting it аlsо аllоws yоur bоdy mоrе timе tо prосеss thе аlсоhоl bеfоrе yоu gо tо bеd (it tаkеs аbоut аn hоur tо prосеss оnе unit оf аlсоhоl). This shоuld hеlp yоu tо gеt а bеttеr night's slееp.