An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you have anger towards your parents?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by frogsandlegos, Oct 30, 2014.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

If you parents provided the marijuana for you - or new that you were experiment didn't do anything about it - do you have any anger towards your parents? Do you blame your parents for your addiction at all? Do you feel if you were raised in a completely different home, with different parents and different rules you would have had a totally different outcome?

Obviously, I know some of this may seem like common sense. What are some tips to get rid of anger towards parents?

Thanks for any advice and help.
  2. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

This would be a clear sign of immaturity. Your parents can't really forbid you anything, it's you who makes the important calls and decisions in life. I bet that if you ever got something forbidden by your parents, you probably crossed that in order to be rebel and to feel that you are in control of your life. Just take credit for your actions.
  3. Geinnam

Geinnam Member

I can see where you would be angry. Whether children admit it or not, they do want boundaries. Supplying or allowing a child that you are raising to experiment with drugs crosses the line in my opinion. All decisions have consequences and unfortunately, it seems that they made decisions that left you wanting a different outcome in your life. As you get older, you will begin making more and more decisions, also with consequences. One decision can be to forgive them for their flaws and as you begin a better life, the anger will be less present. Best of luck to you!
  4. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that a certain level of anger and hurt is a normal reaction. Parents should be protecting and looking out. However, it's important to look at the whole picture. Where they making bad choices because they too were having addiction issues? Or, were under the influence? This does not make it "right" but there may be more to consider.

However, GenevB is correct too. Unless this was a situation where you were dosed, or forced into it, you had a say in the matter too. Did you do it when they were not around? Did you do it recreational before the addiction took hold of you? In my experience anger & blame are not a one way street. Each person involved has played a part and should be held accountable for the part they played.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I grew up in a house that had pot all over the place. My parents did it all the time. I was still underage at the time but I remember my older cousins would come over the house and start smoking with my mom. It really pissed me off that the cousins I use to play with that are now out of high school is now smoking with my mom. Different countries would cite different beliefs, but I still contend that smoking pot will make you lazy, less productive, also it becomes the main focus in ones life when you should be focusing on providing for your kids. Some night I went to sleep hungry becomes my parents cared more about partying than going to work.
    Nick W. likes this.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When you try to blame others for getting you in the morass of addiction then it's possible that you might be angry at your parents for 'enabling' [the addictive behavior]. However when all is said and done, you are to blame for your actions and what follows because under circumstances are you coerced to use the drug.

Blaming others for being the cause of your addiction makes recovery very difficult. Best to actually admit you made mistakes, face your addiction head-on and fight it.
  7. Saji

Saji Member

As parents, they have a responsibility to show their children the right way. The parents have failed by providing their children with drugs. However, you parents are not the people who control you life. It's you. So in the end, it's the kid who is responsible for his addiction, even though the parents were the ones who provided him with the drugs. Now, we're all humans, and we make mistakes. Blaming others won't help you with your addiction either. Try to get help from a professional and hope for the best. Stay optimistic and pray everyday :)
    Nick W. likes this.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think I'd be mad at my parents for not dictating things that I should or shouldn't do, but I certainly would be disappointed if I weren't at least offered some guidance. As far as solving the anger towards parents if you do have it, I think the best way to go about it is to just realize that it doesn't do much good. They will most likely stay the way they are and so will you so it's best to just focus on your own goals.
  9. maxprime94

maxprime94 Member

I sort of understand where you are coming from. Although the difference here is that my mother is schizophrenic and so it has been a very confusing road to where I am now. When I was at my all time low, she definitely never tried to help me get out of it but the part that sucks for me is that I know she is mentally ill so therefore I've always somehow felt guilty when I rejected her. I couldn't let myself be influenced any more so I've unfortunately have had to separate myself from her completely. It's been almost a year since me and my mom have talked, I still feel guilty but I also still feel angry. Luckily (in a way), I guess I can sort of blame it on her disease so that's how I cope with it. I just hope that if it wasn't for the schizo, maybe she would be a much better person. Don't let anyone walk all over you!
  10. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

I think this question does not only tackle marijuana. In my case, I had this hatred towards my parents in the past because I did not understand where the hatred was coming from. I realized then that it came from not having their attention until I finished college and had professional work. I thought that they were the ones who ruined their children's lives. But you know this question is misleading. Whatever our parents have done to make us suffer, they deserve our love and forgiveness. They were also victims of their own issues so being the one who understand better, we must be the one to guide our parents to peace and goodness.
  11. Glen

Glen Member

Supplying children with drugs is not a good idea in the first place, so the anger towards your parents would be justified. However, it is your own fault if you decided to accept it in the first place. You probably would know the risks, and pressured your parents for the marijuana, even though you knew it wasn't right. Take credit, and accept that you have some of the blame too. Realize that what has been done and can't be changed, and try to fix the problems that you have at the moment, step-by-step.
  12. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

No I have to say my parents always stayed away from all of that stuff and even alcohol they both drank occasionally. Neither of them smokes. And if they did do pot, they did it before I was born. I don't even think they did that. I love both my parents because they are both exceptional people in so many regards.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Parents are suppose to be an example as to which we as children follow. Monkey see monkey do kinda thing. I have issue with the fact that my daddy made a choice to be a drunk over being a good father. Don't get me wrong having dealt with being a drunk myself. I know kicking the habit isn't easy. Still it hurts to this day knowing that my life would have been different had he not drank the way he did.
  14. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

My parents were and are very opposed to drug use. I admire that about that. As far as I know neither of them experimented with any drugs. Though, I'm sure there's a possibility they are lying. As pretty much everyone experimented with drugs when they were growing up.
  15. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

The only thing I ever did try was pot. I wasn't stupid enough to accept all the offers of the harder stuff that people were putting in my face. I'm not sure my mama tried anything other then booze. My daddy on the other hand is different. I was told that he would smoke weed.
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My parents have always been very straight edge and I am happy about that. I used to think they were boring growing up, but now I feel blessed that they are who they are when I hear all of the stories about moms and dads doing drugs around their kids or not taking care of their kids due to addiction problems. I really only had a little pot when I was a teen and have long since quit that.