An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you have regrets?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by L_B, Jul 8, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Community Champion

After having a few too many drinks do you regret things that you said or done while under the influence? Are you happy when you drink or do you become angry and mean?
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I was the type who was happy while tipsy, but one too many and I'd become super depressive and mopey. It was one of many reasons I needed to stop. That was embarrassing, but I don't regret that as much as I regret blacking out. What little bits I could remember were traumatic, and on top of that, hearing about what happened later was something I never, ever wanted to experience again.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Since alcohol does cloud people's judgment, it's pretty easy to say things you regret almost all the time. I've lived with alcoholics most of my life and the only reason they got along was because all of them were drunk and though much was said they'd have forgotten everything that happened the previous night.

When it's only one person in the family who drinks then chances are there's a time when the rest of the family will want to hear no more. That's why families of alcoholics almost always break up.
  4. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Most of the time I am a happy drinker. But there are still times when I say inappropriate things and I've lost a few people in my life because of it. Regret is always there whenever you get drunk. Sometimes regret ends once the hangover is over. Other times, it lasts the rest of your life. I'd like to think the people I lost would've made my life a little more pleasant. But I take comfort in the fact that I still have a few people I can have fun with.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am a happy drinker. I become very chatty when I am normally quite shy. I don't talk to people I don't know very easily but give me a few drinks and I am their best friend. So sometimes because I talk so much I will tell people things that I would normally never tell them if I was sober so I do have regrets about that at times. Also, I tend to go on Facebook and make some silly status updates when I am drinking when I regret when I see them in the morning.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

I think every drinker has regrets. When you're the type of drinker who who gets really wasted, there's bound to be some regrets here and there. Some of them are forgettable, but some stick with you for the rest of your life.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I normally get silly when I get a few drinks in me. However if I had too many, I become someone else. It's either weird or ultra angry. I've done so many thing that I regret when I wake up the next day with a hangover. I just wish I never started drinking.
  8. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

My aunt from alcoholism. I regret not telling her or encouraging more about better way of living. She was told often, but I will never know if my words could have had another effect. There are many people regretting at the moment, but I know she ultimately made the decision to continue drinking. I would like to help those who really want help. My aunt always commented that she will not quit drinking. So I am not sure that my words or suggestions would have helped but maybe if I said more.... I guess I will never know now.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

On the whole I'm usually a happy drunk, when I've had a few beers. This is probably down to the fact that if I've had a bad day or I'm in a bad mood over something, I don't have a drink to try and snap me out of it.

I think a lot of people turn to alcohol as a way to change their moods and a lot of the time, that is when the problems start because it can make your problems seem twice as bad as they where, so then you'll start getting depressed or angry.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I used to drink my ass off... it felt great for the most part, I'm not even going to attempt lying to you. Though in the long run, it wasn't worth it, and I knew it. But I loved to live in momentary happiness so much that at one point of my life I even lost my well-paying job to my addiction, that's when I decided to take action. :)
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I did in the past, I made a fool of myself several times, but there was one time while we were on a trip that I said and did a lot embarrassing stuff. I was much younger, I was with my cousins. I blacked out that night, they told me I said many things, very embarrassing ones, then we promised to never ever talk about it. It took me years to quit drinking though.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Anytime you get drunk your not in your right mind. I've done stupid things when I was drunk before. There are times when I've been happy and mean, from what I could remember. Alcohol is a depressant so eventually a unpleasant side will show if you abuse it. Having a drink or two in moderation can't cause you to act a fool. I don't regret mistakes I've made because there the reason I don't make them again.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It always magnifies a person's personality. I haven't ever had any kind of regret. The only thing that I didn't like that I would do is drunk texting. It is the worst thing I think and how we get compelled to do it. I don't drink at all anymore and I hardly ever use a cellphone. Not because of that. Neither one is healthy for you they both cause cancer. Drinking does and the cellphone waves do too. So no alcohol and limited use of the cellphone.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

I used to regret whenever I realised that I had abused people and destroyed property when drunk. Sometimes I could break utensils and other glassware. I did find it difficult to clean my room after vomiting throughout the night. Those are some of the issues that make me quit.
  15. mickella18

mickella18 Active Contributor

Alcohol lightens my mood and makes me all giddy and stuff. The only regrets I have persay is the hangover I wake up with. I throw up like crazy and I am unable to eat. It really takes a toll on my body.
  16. Krab22

Krab22 Member

I found I was very happy while in the process of getting drunk. I almost used to get a rush when starting to drink, and I learned I could intensify this rush by shooting clean spirits (Vodka was my favorite). As a drunk, I was very concerned with maintaining my drunkenness, and if anyone got in my way I would express my frustration with them! I was never violent to people I love though, but could become aggressive with other drunks which is kinda ironic I guess.
  17. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I was very happy when I was drunk. It lightened my mood and helped me to take my mind off of things. I think that this is a major reason as to why many people drink it. I know a lot of people that do not drink it for the taste, but rather the effect that they get from it. Alcohol is an interesting thing as it is not seen as dangerous as drugs, but it very well can be. Becoming addicted to alcohol is a risk and poses a danger to your life.
  18. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

In my opinion everyone has had some sort of regret at least twice in their lifetime even if they do not want to admit to them. I have had so many regrets that make me want to wish I could go back in time and change what I did, but I know that there regrets have made me into a better person and that I will keep having regrets but that they happen for a reason. No one is perfect and having regrets is normal because they make us be who we are.
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Most of the times I used to not remember what I was saying while drunk, but I remember doing and/or saying some embarassing things and I offended a lot of people. I can't change back time though, so I try to not beat up myself too much over it.
  20. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Oh, yes. I can recall having had some really bad remorses upon taking some of my life decisions under the influence of alcohol, though luckily those decisions weren't crucial or anything like that. They were simple momentary decisions, fortunately.