An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you have regrets?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by L_B, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The one thing I never liked about drinking alcohol was that it lowers your inhibitions. When I was drunk I would always speak my mind and that would often upset people or I would say something which people found offensive. I would always regret it afterwards and think it would have been better if I kept my mouth shut. I think this is why a lot of people end up fighting when they are under the influence of alcohol.
  2. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

I did have many regrets. I dont anymore. I had to do a bunch of truly stupid things before I could learn and grow into this person that I am today.

However, when I woke up the next day I usually felt doomed. I often had a horrible hangover of course, but I am not talking about the physical ailments that accompany a drunken night. I am speaking about the humiliation of the realization of what I had done to myself and to others. My neice would come over the next day and rub it in as well. She had all sorts of sordid stories about what I had been up to. She took such pleasure in this torturous rehashing. I eventually stopped her and told her that under no circumstances was she to tell me what I had done when I was drunk, unless I was drunk. Makes sense right? This was about the time I really hit bottom. That statement made me cringe because though it sounds so funny now, I had said it out of a sick and painful desperation. I could not bare to see myself the way that I had become.

I had a habit of cheating on my first husband a lot when drunk. I would never intend to do it. I always said the next morning that I would never do it again. I was always so ashamed of my behavior and I hated the lies I had to construct to cover my ass. I was dying on the inside because the diseased part of me had highjacked my life. My spirit was growing dark.

So yes, I lived with daily regret and fear. I remember that feeling clearly. I am so happy to be free of this. I hope to never go back. It was a terrifying experience and I had no hope for anything good and joyful in my life. Now I know that it was all worth it. I am 36 years old and sober now for ten years. I have built something beautiful out of the ashes of yesterdays humiliation and regret.
  3. nwalker85

nwalker85 Member

Of course. It's why I quit. I'd get physical. Either violently so or sexually. I ended up cheating on my wife while drunk, and it almost ended in divorce. I've been sober ever since, regret it to this day.
  4. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Generally when I drink I get quieter, not noisy or anything. I try to stay away from alcohol, I only drink casually but never enough to get stupid drunk.
  5. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

When drunk I become all teary and emotional. I talk a lot and laugh and cry easily. It is pretty much easy to get anything out of me when I am drunk. Which is why I am careful of my drinking buddies all the time. I have been accused of spilling personal secrets when drunk at one time. Not that I remember any of that when I eventually sober up anyway!
  6. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I hate the person I become when I have a drink. It was never a problem in the past before I became addicted, however since then the only thing that I am interested in when I drink is when I'll get the chance to drink some more, and that is really sad. The only way that I can cope with it all is by not drinking at all, as I know that if I slip up, I will feel very bad about everything and it won't work well for me. Everyone copes differently and reacts in various ways when they have had a drink, and I just know that I can't have any at all now, or things will be very bad for me.
  7. cjcasey83

cjcasey83 Member

I definitely have regrets about some of the stuff I have done while drinking. There are actaully a lot of things that I totally don't remember at all (which I definitely regret). I really regret being a pompous idiot to people when I was drinking.
  8. x9859x

x9859x Member

Three days ago I regret that I snapped on my husband because he would not buy me an alcoholic beverage when he was returning from running errands. My behavior was despicable, and it makes me wonder whether or not I am still addicted to alcohol. I have not had an alcoholic beverage for about 3 years now, and I felt as if I was content, but now I am starting to disagree with myself. I didn't have an alcoholic beverage, but the thought of having one soon or even in the future scares me. I do not think I am ready to have an alcoholic beverage because it causes me to change the way I behave and it impacts the way I respond to those I care most about. I regret my actions/behavior that I have had when I had an alcoholic beverage, and I regret exploding at those who care about me most.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Whenever I am drunk, I would sometimes feel happy, and I would sometimes feel depressed, but I have never been angry. And no, I don't have any regrets as I couldn't remember saying any mean things or pouring my emotions out to other people.
  10. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

In vino veritas. I do not regret because i got too drunk just few times in my life and maybe i would have had just a couple of shots less but it was nothing serious. I do get happy and i like to feel tipsy, it makes the talk goes smoothly especially if you are in the company of some new friends. I had some funny anecdotes when i come back home without a jacket and my left shoe. Or that time when i slept on the couch under some 30 jackets and my fiends went out to search for me. We lost a friend once on my birthday just to find him at his home 20 km from my house and he left the car at my place. so alcohol is not that bad if you do not drink too much and to often.
  11. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Well, I don't drink, but on my occasion I had too many vodka shots and my only remorse is that I was so drunk I lost my consciousness on the dance floor. I was so embarrassed afterwards and I have never ever gone back to the same club again. Nor did I get drunk again ever since.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely didn't like who I was when I drank because I was always making a fool of myself. Even worse would be when I drank so much that I couldn't even remember what I did. I definitely have some regrets about my behavior but I think I learned a lot from it too. Trying to look at the silver lining to it all.
  13. OriMerchan

OriMerchan Member

I've had some experiences that I regret under the influence of alcohol, luckily they are not things that make me feel depressed. Because of that I have learned to control myself while drinking, if I drink to much I get a little bit annoying and I talk too much, if I'm sad I get depressed and cry a lot. I don't like to be so vulnerable, that's the main reason why I don't drink so much. I've been lucky that I've never had a really bad experience.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think we all have. Judgment flies out the window when you're under the influence. There's many things I regret and am just thankful it wasn't worse.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I usually turn into a sociable, happy person aka my exact opposite. But this lasts about an hour, before I break down and cry. For some minutes of happiness I have to spare a whole day, and feel pain instead. Not only it hurts me, but it also does so with the people I love. So I just refrain from doing it now. It's too much to endure and has no point.
  16. Leanna_Jeanne

Leanna_Jeanne Member

I was typically a happy drunk, especially while just tipsy, but there were other times that for whatever reason I was more emotional- either sad or angry. I have a lot of regrets from my drinking days so I'm thankful I got my drinking under control.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

None that I know of. The last time I passed out drunk - completely unconscious, mind you - was 2 years ago. That was the first and only time it happened. Although I made a total fool out of my self, I had no regrets whatsoever. You can call it shock therapy. The experience also served to satisfy my curiosity, so there's no need to run a mile anymore when I already took an inch. I hope people develop this kind of mindset rather than overstay their welcome in the land of alcohol and hurt themselves in the process.
  18. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I have a lot of regrets and I would sit and worry about them for a long time. Now I just don't. It is toxic and never does anyone any good.
  19. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Pаrtying is аll wеll аnd gооd until yоu еnd up оn аn оvаl аt 2аm аnd dоn’t knоw whеrе yоur shоеs аrе. Nоt оnly саn wе wаkе up with nеxt-dаy rеgrеt frоm drinking/tаking drugs, but it саn аlsо bе risky.