An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you hide or find bottles around your house?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by pineywood, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yeah people like him as well as others in my circle of friends are the ones that really opened up my eyes on how I used to view people who drink and take substances which leaned more towards negative since it's all I've been taught all my life, but now that I'm older and can decide for myself I can see that those scenarios might be prevalent but it's hardly the whole picture when it comes to users.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I've found bottles hidden around the house when my father was drinking heavily. It seems to be a combination of putting things in places and forgetting about them, as well as hiding things for when you need them. It seems fairly common among substance abusers in general.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I hide my bottles in the desk drawer ( it's a huge one ), and nobody has ever looked there, so I don't have to worry about it. I don't drink alcohol that often, it's just for special occasions, but if my girlfriend were to catch me, I would be a dead man, haha, so I better prevent than cure. I can't be that open regarding alcohol, because I once promised I'd completely give up, but she wouldn't understand that it's just for friend meetings, so... I have to, even though I'm forced to lie.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I do put my bottles in my room in the draw or the cupboard as putting it in the kitchen or in the lounge area could cause someone else to drink it or maybe even me when I am not meant to be. I know some people who, just have it in different areas in their house hiding it from partner or others and hope they won't find out they have these hidden in the house. I think people do this so, they can keep control or don't want to look at the bottle which could tempt them to drink and get drunk when they don't want too.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I used to hide the bottles from Mum. Even if she made my childhood a nightmare, I loved her, and really cared about her. She was always very panicked when she couldn't find her bottles. It was such a terrible sight, but I knew it was better for her. Until she found out who was hiding her beverage and went really mad and hit me with a chair.
  6. Yes, I find bottles in our house. My parents drink and so does my husband. I used to drink before I had a lovely baby girl, I decided to quit because of course I need to take care of her.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

When I was in an abusive relationship some years ago, I did used to hide small bottles of vodka around the house so I could have a sneaky drink whenever I felt like it. Funnily enough, the urge to drink disappeared when the relationship finally ended but I will admit that I was using drink to cope.
  8. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I have never been in a similar situation to be honest, but I am pretty sure that there are some people, just like your friend and your grandmother, do it for some reason. As for me, I don't see any serious reason to hide bottles around my house.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I was addicted I didn't hide alcohol around the house just because I didn't need to. Neither did my ex-alcoholic friends, and I never understood this thing.
    Maybe the people that hide their booze somewhere safe are scared of judgement.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have found empty beer cans around the house often. He may keep a few in the fridge but he has usually been drinking more then a few. I have a sister who is an alcoholic and she is constantly hiding liquor so that he husband doesn't know that she is drinking. She drinks every day and you can tell when she has been drinking. I don't know how she thinks that she is fooling her husband. He has to know that she drinks every day. She has been doing it for many years.
  11. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

When my brother visited, I found bottles of alcohol under the bed. I don't understand why he felt he had to hide them because he knows that I know he drinks. Maybe he was feeling too lazy to take them to the trash, put them under the bed, and forgot about them--always a possibility.
  12. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I hide my bottles, because whenever I'm having a party I'm under age, and I wouldn't want my parents to know that I will drink, but that happens only occasionally.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Hiding the evidence is funny to me. I do think when there is a problem this sort of thing happens. Maybe if that person has dealt with other people getting angry with them. I had someone hiding there empties in the laundry so they could get the out undetected. I know someone who puts it in a mug. You know like hiding it in plain sight kind of thing. Acting like they are drinking coffee or tea.
    I tell you what the people that I know that hide this are all seriously problematic in their behavior when they drink. This could be part of it. I always call alcohol the personality intensifier. Not everyone who drinks or likes to drink hides bottles or containers. It is the ones who can't handle it and cause heartache to those around them.
  14. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I do think it's quite common for drinkers to stash booze in places it is unlikely to be found. I don't think this is common for casual drinkers, though, and it's definitely more for people who are trying to hide it or who always want to have a drink nearby "just in case."
  15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Before I was an alcohol addicted, I had loads of wine bottles in my room and around the house because wine was part of my family culture to have some at hand for friends and other people visiting.

When alcohol became an addiction problem to me and having drunk all the wine that was in my hands, my family began to hide all other bottle available at home, and I used to browse just everything to find them.

When not possible but yet having some money to buy alcohol, I used to do it, and the it was my turn to get those bottles well hidden to avoid my parents could find them and deprived me of what it was then all to me.

So sad look back and finding myself doing such a thing.