An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Judge Weed Smokers?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bluedressed, Jan 26, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Let's face it -- anything would be a point of influence upon a first impression. It does not have to be condemning, but do you have a specific judgment for weed smokers, be it positive or negative? I know a lot of people, especially the more conservative ones, consider that any weed smoker is lazy and has no motivation. Then, younger people who have tried it just judge it as a positive trait, imagining the person smoking as more laidback.

Do you have any such "prejudice", be it positive or negative? Do they ever vary? What would it take for you to spin that opinion of someone around and does that ever happen?
  2. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

I think it depends on how much they're actually doing it. If I see someone who does it once in a while or even somewhat frequently, I usually don't care. I'm somewhere on the fence as far as my agreement with recreational marijuana goes. Obviously I don't judge people who use it medically. I don't think I really care either way if someone smokes weed. I have had people I stopped talking to as much because they always smelled awful, though. It's sad but true.
    greybird29 likes this.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Depends on their age. If they are young, I instantly classify them as some wannabe "cool" kids who are just experiencing with some drugs because they think this will make them more "bad-ass". But when it comes to eldery people, I don't. Anyone can be a victim of addiction. Even I was one of them.
    greybird29 likes this.
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Oh, I get that. Weed smell never bothered me, but tobacco did -- I was not going to visit my granny as often as I would probably had if she did not smoke. As it was, I hated the way the smell stuck on my clothes and how badly my hair reeked of tobacco stink. :/
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No, I don't judge weed smokers at all. It is purely their business and they aren't hurting anyone so why criticize?
    greybird29 likes this.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't care when people smoke weed, no. It's the constant "Ayyy it's 420!" And the shirts featuring weed leaves that really piss me off. I don't understand what's cool about being intoxicated, I really don't. I've done, sure, but I can't say it gave me that extra boost of confidence that some of these kids are getting from it nowadays,
  7. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I can't really pass judgement on anyone for their mistakes because I am very much aware of my own horrible sides. The first thing I would probably say is how smoking weed too much can cause a lot of trouble for him/her after a while, then I'd probably ask about his/her family. If they know what's happening or if they are trying to help in some way. I will be nosey but at the same time cautious enough not to drive the person away.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I don't judge weed smokers. But I do pity them. I've known a few and lived with others. I remember at one time seeing some homeless kids arguing . . . was weed good or bad? One, the non-smoker who was using a different substance was quite certain that weed was the worst drug because it could make someone schizophrenic. Most weed smokers know what they are getting themselves but since I don't know what's driving them to use the drug, I can't judge them.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Generally I don't judge people weed smokers or any other. I just think it's not our place. That aside, I don't encourage the habit. I know tons of people who smoke and many of them have shared their story with me. Without judging I often encourage them to quit but it mostly falls on death ears.

I work in a retail clothing store and all too often when some come by they "light up" the store with the odor. Clothing and weed don't go well together. Those times I want to put them out of store but I leave it alone. If it's the ones I know well, I'll tell them to give me an ease. It's not an inviting odor.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I don't judge weed smokers. It isn't good to judge anyone, really. However, I do judge on the content of a persons character, and that's what really matters.
  11. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I wish to clarify this crazy thinking people have about "judging," there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it! In fact, to not judge is to judge itself!!! For example a dog, a cat, a cow, a bird, a worm, a spider, a bacteria, a virus, etc., are all creatures who are judging 24/7 about everything they experience, because if they don't they'll more than likely die!

I do not know where, when, who, and how this foolish idea of "not judging" or "don't be prejudice" started in the minds of most humans, but I can guaranteed you that judging is a natural thing all things do. The matter of concern is who, what, where, when, why, and how one judges things makes the difference in the end!
  12. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I personally never judge anyone. I don't look at other people's business or lives because quite frankly that's energy I could be using to fix my mistakes and focus on my life. So the only opinion I have about someone who smokes marijuana is that, they know why they smoke it and if it works for them then good for them. I honestly don't like butting into people's affairs unless I am inviting in, say if a friend asks for my opinion on his weed smoking then I can tell him what I really think about his situation.
  13. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I judge a lot of people based on a lot of different criteria. If you say you don't judge, that just means you keep your opinions to yourself. I don't judge negatively OR positively until I have enough facts of the situation, however. People who Judge off the bat are the wrong ones, or the misconceived ones.

However as to different drugs and categories like that, judging is wrong until you fully understand their scale and scope of addiction and recovery.
    greybird29 likes this.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I tend to judge weed smokers as hippie like people. Not that everyone who smokes is a hippie, but it seems to be the most common senario around where I live. There is a certain type of hippie group around here that smoke weed and lacks clean living habits. It is a little judgy and I know that everyone is not like that, but you asked if we judge people so I am just being honest.
  15. 003

003 Community Champion

I don't judge weed smokers as I don't judge other substance addicts. Because if they are doing what they do that's harming them, I'm sure that they don't like and that they under great trouble. And to judge them would only increase their struggle, and that what I don't want to happen. I want to help them, and I don't think that I'd be able to help by judging them.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't judge weed smokers, nor anyone who takes any substance, as long as they are able to handle it and carry themselves well regardless of what they put in their bodies. First off, it's no business of mine, and second, if they are able to carry out their responsibilities then I'd say it just makes whatever potential judgement of others even more so irrelevant. I personally think it all boils down to the individual, and making blanket judgements such as "all people who like X are Y" is a bit misinformed and frankly a bit immature.
  17. meenz

meenz Member

At first I thought all weed smokers were bad people, mainly because of the people around me. Well, I was biased and wrong. I learned that some people use weed to cope with their problems and don't try to abuse it. Those people, I'm okay with. But the people who use weed, and the proceed to turn into someone they're not when they're not using it are the people I despise.
  18. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Nope, I do it on and off so there is really no need to judge.
  19. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I don't judge anybody, because that's not my job, but I do notice to see whether or not I want to be around a person.
    Or, I observe a person and see whether or not I want to continue to be around them if they start acting in a different way than they did when I first met them, especially if that difference is negative.

In my past, almost everybody I knew smoked weed. I used to smoke all the time, all day, every day if I could.
    Currently I still know a few folks who smoke, but not as many as I used to.

The way I feel about it, I smoked weed until I outgrew it. Some people never outgrown it, so they continue to smoke for whatever reason. Some people feel like they "need" weed to cope with daily life. We all have to make choices and decisions in life about what we are going to do, and what we are not going to do, and we have to live with those choices.
  20. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

To be honest I do judge weed smokers. Not those that smoke every now and then. But definitely those most people would call "potheads". I don't like to stereotype people but often times they are true. A lot of the potheads I know are definitely lazy people. And I think the drug has a lot to do with that.