An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Judge Weed Smokers?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bluedressed, Jan 26, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I feel that marijuana is getting more and more accepted, I do think that people tend to judge weed smokers. The general impression in movje s and music videos is of pot heads and stoners that lay around all day getting high. That's definitely not the case, I know lots of people that smoke weed. They work full time and have families, they have a joint at the end of the day to relax. Just like some people have a drink at the end of a hard day etc.
    Just because you smoke weed doesn't automatically make you a bum.
  2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

What is it again? Judge not lest ye be judged. I try not to judge anyone based on their usage or abuse of anything. It doesn't necessarily define them. In fact, these things are often used as self-medication for an existing issue. I'm not just referring to the use of drugs either. There are a lot of cliche things associated with marijuana but the truth is it depends on the strain & the user.
    PrideKidd likes this.
  3. Pinoy Jade

Pinoy Jade Active Contributor

Well honestly, it's because i have used it before does not mean that i dont judge them. I am a judge type of person though when i am using ti before, i really dont judge them. As to now that i already stopped it, i am good at criticizing them in negative and especially that weed is illegal in my country.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

What if there was more to it than met the eye? What I mean by that is, you're using a 30-year old unemployed smoker as an example, who sits around smoking weed all day and doing nothing. How do we know whether he needs to be any more productive or not? How do we know he's not just growing loads of weed somewhere, selling it off and sitting around smoking all day because he's already got money coming in? He might be able to afford being unproductive.
  5. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

I don't think people are going to be able to judge weed smokers in the future because all the states are legalizing marijuana so quickly. It's like judging an individual for drinking alcohol everyone does it it's everywhere. Pretty soon that's how we'd is going to be it's going to be everywhere is not to be something that you randomly run into any more.
  6. Sydney R

Sydney R Member

To be completely honest, I would say I most definitley judge people who use marijuana. I think it's a disgusting habit and I have some very bad experiences in my life which have led me to think and feel this way. Personally, I have never used it, but boyfriends have chose it over me time and again; therefore, I really despise the drug and people that abuse it.
  7. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Only to young kids who pretty much smoke to be cool. If older seniors smoke, then I wouldn't mind since the weed actually helps them ease the pain and such. I really hate how the younger kids smoke though, they shouldn't have the right unless they are experiencing muscle pains and such or depression.
  8. I agree with you. It's all about the amount of intake.
  9. It's not judging them. It's being real with them. You must be honest and explain the reason for your concern.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. I think the negative connotation mostly only comes from decades of propaganda and fear mo gearing. Once it becomes as common as alcohol then no one would even bother to mind. The great thing is that it's at least not as dangerous as alcohol since you could still technically do a lot of things like drive and do your work even when on it.
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I used to view weed smokers as very aggressive, violent,irrational beings until i discovered my former employer smoked weed in his office. It came as quite a big shock that someone whom was laid back, intelligent and some one whom i regarded as my role model could smoke weed. That discovery changed my perspective about weed smokers.
  12. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I feel i have no right to judge others for mistakes I have made, so I can not see reason I have the right to judge someone else. It is not a matter of "IF" but more "WHEN" marijuana is legalized in my state for at least medical purposes. When that day finally arrives I will be a very happy camper. I can and would use it for my medical problems, as to not to have to take so many pills everyday. There is a limit to how far my feelings go though.
  13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I smoked weed for a long time so definitely don't point fingers at people who do it. I try to base my opinion of people on how they treat me and how they treat others. Do we get along, can we laugh together, do we respect and understand each other? I try not to make snap judgements about people, but I do sometimes get a gut feeling when I meet certain people.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I felt the same way when I first was being introduced to it. I had so little information and what small amount I did know turned out to be all false and propaganda driven by the previous generation, so much so that it scared me but later on I realized old people were just irrationally judging and parroting what they heard instead of actually being thorough and truthful, which is part of the reason why I'm now very skeptical of what anyone tells me especially it's obvious they are just indoctrinated and merely parroting what they heard instead of doing actual unbiased research and experimentation.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I remember when I used to be like them, and it would be very hypocrite from me to even remotely think about what they're doing, negatively. However, this doesn't stop me from giving advice whenever they seek, and when they do, I'm there for them, unconditionally.
    I kind of "despise" them, sure, but we're not here to make their life harder... we're here to help them tread on the right path.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't judge them, instead I try to help them because I was addicted once too. One can get addicted without knowing and if he/she's a very weak-minded then it's no way back.
    Everyone needs support though, so try to offer that whenever you can.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I don't judge weed smokers. I just get bored with excessive weed smokers who are stoned all the time. Usually they don't have much to contribute that makes me want to be around them for a long time. Those who smoke daily usually live in their own world, and they relate to things that I often find to vague, distant or irrelevant to my personal cause.
  18. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I don't judge those that like to get high. I only have a problem if they are getting high while on the clock. What a person does on their own time is their business and if marijuana is their crutch, so be it. It is unprofessional to smell like weed at work and is an absolute zero tolerance for drugs. Termination would be the result.
  19. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I won't judge them. As long as they're not doing anything wrong when they lose their sobriety, it's okay on my book.
  20. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I do not judge weed smokers because I used to be one of them. The only reason I quit smoking is because I had a scare and I thought I was going to die. I think I had a bad batch of marijuana. People have their reasons for smoking. Some may be depressed or it may help them focus. Whatever their reason or reasons are, no one should judge anyone. I would smoke to get over my problems and relax. Those people that drink or smoke tobacco, they cannot judge weed smokers at all because they are doing things that are harmful to the body also. I do not smoke anymore but I would never judge weed smokers because I have been there.