An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Judge Weed Smokers?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bluedressed, Jan 26, 2015.

1. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It’s so common around here, I tend not to think twice about it. I’ve known stereotypical potheads, I’ve known more recreational smokers, I’ve known medical users, and they all have their own reasons. So I find it mostly pointless to judge.
  2. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

I don't judge weed smokers. It's not really hard to understand why they smoke. I don't want to judge other people. If they want to accept my opinions that's fine but I'm a fan of equality and I think we shouldn't judge. I've met some really nice people who are pot smokers and this has proved me that I should never judge anyone. That's just the way I think.
  3. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

It really depends. I'm fine with people that smoke it casually and such, but some people smoke it so much that they even have made it a part of their own identity. I believe that's kind of ridiculously excessive and by that point, it's just like any other addiction: harmful.
    Shimus likes this.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Shallow Man has it right. Whenever it passes a certain point, you can't classify it as anything aside from "Harmful."

If you smoke it every day, scrounge pennies EVERY day, and contact your "Guy" for it EVERY DAY.. you're addicted. It's harming your lifestyle. It's draining your funds and putting you in an even worse position. When you reach this stage, you really just need to step back and take a breath and realize what it is - for what it is.
  5. felicitybebe

felicitybebe Member

Even though I often try my best to refrain from judging others, I do judge weed smokers. I have a few friends that smoke weed, and I often feel disgusted when I am around them because they smoke around me even though I am uncomfortable with it. I have told my friends that I am uncomfortable with the continuous smoking, but there was never a break from it. These friends also judge me for smoking cigarettes even though they smoke weed while pregnant. I would never puff a cigarette if I was pregnant, and I wouldn't allow smoke around me at all. But, to see my friends who are about to become parents smoking weed, it makes me very sick.
  6. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

Honestly, I use to really judge weed smokers when I was in high school. I thought they were really bad people and had no goals. But that was before I knew better or even really understand marijauana was. I think when we grow up, society makes us believe that any drug is a bad drug. Marijuana is actually not the worse drug on there. Now, that I actually personally love someone who is a weed smoker, I realize that not all marijuana smokers are bad and lazy. Some just try to relieve their stress by smoking. I think a majority of the USA believe that marijauna smoking is bad and that it is not a done by people who are productive (perhaps that is why it is not legalized) but others may actually think positively about it. I guess it all just depends on who you ask.
  7. Shimus

I was such a longtime smoker and sometimes I still have urges to relapse because other people around me do it consistently as well, Felicity. I understand completely with people not breaking from it, and those type of people I DO JUDGE. Harshly, at that, as well. If you can't understand I want to be clear of it, or just not do it around me - how much is it to ask them to leave the room, go smoke out in a car, someplace else, and then just come back? I feel when they won't even go that far, those people deserve to be judged.

Though, most of the people I know are cool and would respect my wishes if I asked them, so it's really only a few bad beans that can make you judge them as a whole, which is wrong. Each person deserves to be evaluated on a per-person basis. At the very least. Then judge.
  8. Tryner

Tryner Member

I'm rather judgmental, but I've never judged someone because they smoke weed. I do laugh inside at those kids who's lives revolve around it, though. If I see you wearing a marijuana shirt and hat and celebrating the moment the clock changes to 4:20, I'm going to think you're an idiot.
  9. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

No I don't, since I used to be one. I just wish the best for them, and hope some day they will quit as well since it will be beneficial to their health.
  10. Shimus

A lot of people around me do judge because they believe that if you are a user, then you obviously have no job/no prospects/no motive in life. This is a common misconception, where people just generally use it for stress relief. They become addicted to the relief and want to feel "numb" or "high" all the time to shut themselves off, or to unwind themselves down. I know plenty of "functional potheads" and people in popular high ranking positions that use as well, but you don't see people judging them. I think it all comes based on lifestyles and contributions. If you've done nothing, are moving nowhere with your life, working to smoke and consisting on part time wages - it's time to re-evaluate. That's all I'm saying.
  11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I don't judge weed smokers nor approve or disapprove them.

I believe the great thing about the human being is being given with the freedom of choice and if smoking marijuana is theirs, no advice would be accepted if wasn't asked.

However I would care about this if a friend or family member would be involved doing this.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I'd be a hypocrite to say "I've never judged anyone who smokes" because even though I rationalize about it, there's still a degree of judgment. On a more positive note, this judgment may not necessarily be directed to the smoker himself. Everyone's aware that smoking weed, when done excessively, can very well consume a person's life force and prevent him from functioning properly. As they say, "condemn the sin, not the sinner."

I know that no one was born evil. The smoker must have gone through a rough ordeal, causing him to smoke weed. But even if you understand him, that doesn't mean you're just going to watch from the sidelines as he destroys himself. If you can do something in your own little way, then why not?
  13. Shimus

Indeed. If you can say a sentence that could save a life down the road, why not? or make them them think twice, anyways.

"The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Not calling the act of smoking evil. I'm saying using it without moderation is, like you said, "Condemning the Act".

It's a shame when people stand on the sidelines idly.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

A pot head what the term when I was a teenager. You'd call a person a pot head. There was a judgment attached to that. They were seen as slow or stupid. Wrecking their brain with drugs and waste of life. Somehow it has evolved the thoughts about legalizing it. I can't say that I really feel like a pot smoker is bad. I have experienced some problems with people that smoke. Not all, but some.
  15. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I judge a weed smoker just like I would judge anybody else: by the content of their actions. This is the safest way to judge someone properly as it removes other bias.
  16. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

I try not to, but really when i see someone who smokes pot I usually think of them as the person who went with the wrong crowd in highschool. And just can't make very good moral decisions.
  17. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I guess i think that older people as in certified adults who smoke weed don't care whether they are doing something illegal. I mean in some states you could be arrested and put in jail for it...fortunately, that is changing as legalization becomes more of a possiblity so it can be a good thing. I mean speeding is one thing, choosing to break the law and risking jail time cuz you wanna be cool is something else.
  18. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Well, who say they do it because they want to be cool? I think people who smoke weed do it because they do not take this law as a moral compass -- and let's face it, there is very little to defend that law, especially when we try to see the coherence it holds within the justice system (vs smoking tobacco and drinking liquor, for instance).

The fact that they can be put in jail for it is just ridiculous on the part of the legal system. Speeding can obviously do more damage, and yet all they get is a ticket. (Unless they get to the hardcore dangerous part, that is)
  19. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

I know I've been judged mightily by my family for it. They nagged and nagged for years and it only made it worse. (I've also smoked with my siblings and drink far less alcohol than they do, so I considered them hypocrites). It was easier for them to blame weed for issues rather than other family related problems.
    Nowadays, I am just open with them about it and do not care what they think.
    I do not judge people for it personally, but I have always thought the 'weed lifestyle' wit Bob Marley posters and weed leaf boxers, etc. was pretty lame. I don't worship the stuff and try to act like it is a totally beneficial thing because it isn't. It has positives and negatives.
  20. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

I have smoked weed and I never judged people because they smoke weed until my the girlfriend started to smoke weed and I noticed a change in her behavior. That is when I stopped! The irony is that I never saw any harm in smoking weed but I saw it in my girlfriend.