An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Judge Weed Smokers?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bluedressed, Jan 26, 2015.

1. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I heard a very sobering story from a student once (I worked at a remote school where weed usage was so common that it was practically discussed in the hallway). Where he came from, smoking marijuana was a family tradition. Everyone did it. And if you refused it, you were refusing family and incurring a very real risk of getting ostracized. Every drug user typically has a "community" that tries to keep them hooked and part of the group. But it's tough when that community is your very own family.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Nah. I’m not prejudiced at all. I actually like them because I am friends with a lot of people who smoke weed. And contrary to what most people think, they aren’t bums. The people that I know who smoke weed are quite normal and actually contribute a lot to society. Most of them are artists and musicians—creative people that are so much fun to be around.
  3. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

I do it sometimes so how can I judge anyone else? But I do judge the "stoners" and "potheads", they give other regular smokers a bad name. People see the stoners that are lazy, and smoking all day, don't have jobs, and judge anyone else who just totes to relieve pain or just relax. Theres many different stereotypes surrounding marijuana.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

No more so then tobacco smokers. Just because one is legal and the other not, doesn't mean that the two aren't very similar. The biggest difference is that tobacco is very easy to get hold of will marijuana isn't, so the perspective of a tobacco smoker will different to that of a marijuana smoker in that respect.
  5. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Research shows that it takes 1/10th of a second to form an impression of a stranger. (Here is the link explaining more on this topic here: http://www.psychologicalscience.org...6/how-many-seconds-to-a-first-impression.html.) I think it is human nature to make impressions of people based on their looks, perhaps it is even primal instinct to do so, in order to know whether or not we should feel threatened by strangers we encounter.

That being said, if making impressions of strangers happens without us even realizing it, then yes, I think we all have a tendency to pass judgement based on the way people look. It would be great if this were not the case, but I think it is a part of being human.

I try to avoid people in public who wreak of marijuana. I do not need people under the influence of any substances around my child, it is simply not worth the risks. As far as judging people who look like marijuana smokers, unfortunately the stereotypical lazy, paranoid, and non-contributor to society comes to mind. However, I am sure there are SOME people who smoke marijuana who do not fit any of those descriptions.
  6. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

No it is not my mission to judge weed smokers; each to their own individual situation.

Many folks smoke weed for a variety of different reasons; some to ease physical pain, others emotional, some to take a slight edge off, others just trying something new and simply treading in the water that could eventually led them to drown in an ocean of drugs.

Many can say I would have never started doing other drugs had I never touched weed. Others will say I could have never made it through my health issues had I not had weed. Others may say let’s eat, lets sleep, have fun, get some sun, do something unique. Very few would ever rob or kill tor the next joint/ weed high.

I have no need to judge folks on their weed smoking habits unless it creates issues in my life.
  7. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I personally don't judge weed smokers. I know a lot of people that smoke or have smoked weed at one point or another in their life, and that doesn't make them less of a person in my eyes. It really doesn't matter to me if someone started smoking because they were young and wanted to be cool, were somewhat older and just wanted to relax, or had an ailment and needed treatment, to me it's just a habit and it shouldn't affect the inside of that person. I'm addicted to cigarettes (I'm trying to quit) and don't consider myself a bad person. Everybody has bad habits, but as long as they treat others with love, respect, and kindness they're good in my book; what they do in their personal time is their business.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I don't hold anything against weed smokers. I wouldn't say I judge them at all. I think it has been really normalized where I live, so it's no big deal when someone smokes marijuana. It is so common here that it's more weird if you don't touch the stuff. Another reason I find it hard for me to judge people is that I love someone that smokes marijuana daily. It's just not a thing to me. It doesn't phase me in the slightest.
  9. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

i just stumbled accross this old thread. i remember at easter my cousin asked me if i had any THC oil on me. i said yeah and gave her a few drops.
    one of the neighbors i had been talking with for a VERY long time (over an hour) considering we just met overheard and saw this.
    well we had exchanged phone numbers and were already talking about going dirt bike riding later. he told me he didnt like pot heads and i could forget riding with him later...although it was me who invited him to my property...
    i asked why he was so offended and he proceeded to tell me how much he hated the way people on that stuff were. sorry, lazy, forgot everything...and on and on.
    i will never forget this part. "Watch - i bet she doesnt come back out of the house".

she was back within 5 mins. told me that her car was blocked but we needed more ice and she wanted to use the truck to go to the gas station. i told her sure but she was driving because i didnt know my way around that part of town. so we get into the truck, she wasnt used to a manual but picked it up real fast, got us there and back fast with the ice.
    this guy was only a few houses down but had driven over. he backed into a car leaving. since he was drinking he got a dui
    her and i dont drink. but overlook the dui because hes straight edge. he hates pot!
    people man...
  10. True concern

True concern Moderator

Not my job to judge.No I don't