An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you know someone who got addicted while fighting an addiction?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Mackmax, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

I know that there are many ways to cope with addiction. You can play video games, complete puzzles, invest yourself into family and friends. I've even read a story about a man that beat his alcohol addiction by becoming a bartender, strangely enough.
    However, if we focus on X in order to distract us from Y, can we possibly get addicted to X?
    Do any of you know someone that got addicted to the same thing that they used to battle another addiction?
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

It is very possible to get addicted to something else while trying to get over an addiction, especially if you have an addictive personality. Many people get addicted to a second drug and it is most common for people who are trying to quit smoking to start eating more.
  3. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

You have raised a very good point. It's time we think about it. As, @juno said, people do get addicted to a lower( less harmful) drug in the process of de addiction. Needless to say, we need to change this "X" periodically.
  4. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

I never thought about changing X from time to time. I always thought that if someone used video games as a coping method for beating their tobacco addiction, that they would just stick to video games. I never thought about switching it up, and now that you've said that, I'll start recommending people to switch up their routine every once in a while! Not only can doing the same thing over and over get boring, but like I said, you could possibly get addicted.
  5. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Glad that I could be of some help. Don't get in a rut! The only difference between a rut and a grave is the dimensions!
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Rather than substituting an addiction with something else, it is helpful to explore the reasons why you became addicted to something in the first place. If we don't do this then the underlying problems are still there and another addiction can easily consume us.
  7. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I've encountered quite a few people who become obnoxiously addicted to religion when rebounding from substance abuse and substance addiction. I suppose it's their way of dealing with their own shame from being addicted in the first place - to do a total 180 and get on a soap box and preach about how you've "found god" and are all holy now. No amount of preaching is going to erase your past, and I really think it's sad that they then choose to live these phony goody two shoes personas going forward, instead of just being themselves.
  8. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I do not know personally anyone but I've read that substituents often lead to another depression. Like trading drugs for alcohol, alcohol for pain pills, etc. I think it's important to keep a clear mind about this and avoid substituents if possible.
  9. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

I would say that is a rare case of a man beating alcohol addiction as a bartender, but you can get addicted while fighting an addiction, the bottom line is to replace your negative addiction with a positive one, at least in my opinion.
  10. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I never experienced it, but from what I'm reading here seems like a horrible thing to go through, we have a saying where I live related to this, "falling from the lake into the well", something like "out of the frying pan into the fire".
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's great that you're dabbling with a different perspective in order to understand the various facets of addiction. Although I can't really pinpoint what you're getting at, but I can give my uncle as an example. He used to be a cocaine addict. After a few years in rehab, he got out and started drinking. I guess drinking was a means of dealing with his newfound sobriety. He's now a frequent drinker. I would say he's super close to being an alcoholic but at the same time he's also developed resilience or immunity to alcohol. It's a mystery but he knows how to handle alcohol even though he drinks it too often. The stint at rehab may have helped.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Not really. But I can say that working as a bartender can get rid of the urge to drink. The smell of old beer bottles and empty glasses. A beer cooler is the most disgusting thing you have ever seen. If they don't keep it clean. This alone could cure anyone of it. That could be the process of getting someone sober. Put them on clean the cooler duty. It's like this thick sludge worse than a swamp. In fact a swamp smells better. Give them the bar rag shot. Lol There is no such thing it's just a joke.
    I think it's good to change addiction for discipline whatever that may be.