An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you like to Draw? Art of any type (painting)?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Shimus, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I find the arts can help you stave off potential urges and help to resist the long-term cravings that pop up (seeing advertisements, other people doing them) and focus your attentions on it.

By focusing on it, you're no longer worried about drugs. You lose yourself in your environment of self-expression and it helps to free you from the restraints of life.

I like to draw. Architectural buildings. Roses. People's expressions. Whatever the case may be, what do YOU do?
  2. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Mmmm I do like to draw. Mostly to keep my hands busy. And when I have to sit in to some boring lecture. One of the things I like most about drawing is that you can always learn to draw better, and by trying to draw better, it makes me notice the world around me more. The shape of someone's lip. The shadow under someone's eye. The angle of a building. The texture of a tree. The colors of rocks. Gives a whole new outlook to the world around, one I find gratifying and appeasing.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I like to draw as well, both on paper and digitally, and I agree that it's a great way to keep your mind busy and also it helps with self expression which therefore helps with releasing some pent up stress or whatever else may be bothering or polluting one's thoughts.
  4. Shimus

I also love to do it because it helps me vent my anger towards anything (the world, people, my life situation) in a healthy manner. Like Blue said, the texture of a tree, the color of a mossy rock, the 'smell' the greens gives off. It's truly an ephemeral experience. I guess the joke "getting high on life" isn't much a joke.
  5. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

I like drawing, but I'm absolute crap at it if you want the truth. The fact of the matter is that drawing is like any other activity or sport. It takes practice, and a lot of it. I've been drawing semi-regularly and I can start to see some improvement. It's a therapeutic process for me, and I enjoy it immensely.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree I find drawing very relaxing and a great way to express myself whether the emotion is a positive one or a negative one. Sometimes I'll draw when I'm stressed and I later on focus so much on the activity that I completely forget about what was stressing me in the first place.
  7. Kijoma

Kijoma Member

I did love to do art, but then I made the mistake of taking an art class at the local college. The teacher basically seemed to take pleasure in down talking to everyone and pretty much tearing work apart. Until it came to the more "high end" art. Like 'sculptures' made with a mismash of random stuff that pretty much just looked like a pile of junk to me. It's been two years and I've struggled to care about art, which has made coping with depression and trying not to just drink constantly pretty hard.
  8. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I'm a bit like you when it comes to drawing, I love drawing architectural buildings and it fascinates me. It's very good to see people finding a passion that can help them through certain things in their life. Drawing can really help the emotions and letting out how you feel on a piece of paper through making a piece of art. No matter how other people view it, it can be really valuable to you and it can make you feel a sense of achievement and fulfilment. Best of luck to all and much love :)
  9. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

I love drawing as I am student of 3D drawing . I like to spend my most of time for drawing. I gives me awesome feeling and relaxation.
    In my opinion it's a good way to get out from drug addiction.
    Drawing addiction is good as it gives us new ideas and keeps us mind thinkable .
    But drug addiction gives us bad things and bad health only.
  10. Shimus

Remember, even if you do not "Do well" with writing/drawing/the arts in general doesn't mean you still can't attempt to draw and write. You might be struggling and something as menial as sketching a face or the landscape, or perhaps something you have on your mind. While in a 'focused' state you really don't think about doing other things.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I love painting and I'm pretty good at it. Sadly, I was not gifted in the drawing area, though. I love painting anything and everything.
  12. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve always been more of a performing artist and a writer, but I used to make pixel art of a sort. It did help me cope with a lot of depression; I could focus on placing the pixels exactly as I wanted them and I would usually end up being pleased with the result. Drawing on paper I was always a bit hit-or-miss, but occasionally I’ll give it a shot. I’m interested in trying out Zentangle, it seems like it could be a really good way for me to channel certain things.
  13. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I have a perfectionist complex when it comes to art and writing, but I'm trying hard in recent years to ignore it. One of my more recent minor 'hobbies' has been to draw simple things and make stand up art with little captions. I get a lot of inspiration from 'I can has cheezburger' type pictures, and other times I just make something I consider interesting. A little stick figure picking an over-detailed guitar, for example.

I like to cut them out and stage them around, and when I get tired of them I ball them up and drop them in the trash and make something else to sit in that spot. Thousands of helpful little friends with tiny lifespans, who lived a happy life trying to make mine happier.
  14. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Perfectionism is the reason I’ve often had a hard time finishing what I start, that’s for sure. I’d sometimes think to myself, if it’s not wonderful and fantastic from the get go, why bother with it? Took me a long time to realize creativity does not work that way. The pixel art I did was quite good for that, because I randomly ended up making the silliest, weirdest stuff I could make in 10 minutes and it would give my creative muscles a real workout. More often than not, I’d end up creating something awesome after a silly, weird piece. I’ve also become much less afraid of writing pure crap, because it can always be edited later. Sometimes the best way to get to the good stuff is to write/create the crap first. I still forget that on occasion, haha.

And that is a really creative approach. Have you ever considered photographing any of your stagings before discarding them and creating new ones?
    Lackluster likes this.
  15. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I've tried, but I really don't have the knack for it. It's not exactly a popular medium nor do I care to pursue it as art. I just do it to amuse myself inbetween other things, or when I have little drive to do anything more important. It's just another one of my no-zero-day kind of activities.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well art is a good outlet but preferences do vary from one person to another. Although I like the humanities and have been a fan of Dali, Picasso and Monet, my favorite kind of art is writing all because it helps me express my thoughts and emotions better. Writing has always been my refuge and its healing properties are impressive.