An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you need rehab for marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by mommyof4, Jan 16, 2015.

1. mommyof4

mommyof4 Member

Does someone that has smoked marijuana everyday for a long time need rehab to kick the habit?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

No, I don't think so. I have never heard of anyone needing rehab for marijuana use anyway and I've known quite a lot of people who used it, some of them for decades. Many/most of them gave up of their own accord once they reached a certain age anyway. I don't think it really becomes more addictive the more you use it, like many other drugs. Of course, there are no real withdrawal symptoms as such either, except for maybe not being able to sleep for the first few nights.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think so. Even the more severe cases of people I heard from eventually were able to stop on their own. I heard from one person who used to smoke it from morning until night but eventually he figured he was abusing it so he just stopped cold turkey for years. That's just my opinion on it though since this evidence is just anecdotal and I'm not an expert but generally I think it's not too hard to give up apart from the first few days or weeks.
  4. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I wouldn't say that you do. I think that you can really get yourself off it you want. I have hear d of people going into rehab for marijuana before though.
  5. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Of course, rehab options are available for heavy marijuana uses, but I believe the withdrawal symptoms are far less serious than what you'll get with alcohol and prescription drugs. I've known a few people that have quite marijuana after heavy use, and they didn't have major problems. You know, they'd have the occasional urge to want to smoke, but they could will themselves out of it more often than not.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

When I was a teenager I used to smoke marijuana like it was going out of style. I then moved to another state for a while and never touched the stuff again. I never had any withdrawls or anything like that, so I don't think it is addictive. Some people say that marijuana is addictive, but I never found that to be true. It was just fun to get high every once in a while.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've never heard of anyone entering rehab for Marijuana use. Nor have I heard of anyone under it's influence. Most of the stoners I know are just to themselves and mellow for the most of the day.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Why not. If you're having a hard time kicking out the habit then well and good.No addiction is beyond help especially if you're keen on making a fresh start. Today would be the perfect day to take your leap of faith.
  9. Sarman

Sarman Member

I'm not sure about rehab, but I know 2 people who have been sectioned to to marijuana induced paranoia. I've never heard of anyone going to a long term rehab though.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No, I've never known anyone go to rehab purely to kick the weed either. Maybe because it isn't physically addictive so quitting does not need to be done in a clinical environment. Plenty of people go to therapy sessions to break the psychological, or habitual addiction that marijuana can cause though.
  11. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

No you don't need rehabilitation for cannabis aka marijuana use, because throughout it's historical use the plant has never directly caused the death of one single human. Rehab is for people who harming their self, will or has harmed other humans, and may cause problem to society, which hemp/cannabis selling is the thing I can identify only that can be a major problem for society. Most people I've seen quit consuming cannabis did it cold-turkey or gradually, and the reasons mostly were due to employment and probation concerns.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It depends on how fatal someone's addiction to marijuana is. If it's already getting too harmful for him/her, then I guess that person already needs to go to a rehabilitation center. On the other hand, it's much better to go to rehab as early as possible to avoid future complications.
  14. jmiranda38

jmiranda38 Member

It depends on the person. There aren't many scientific studies for any harm that marijuana does to your body. In fact, before Nixon declared the war on drugs, he had scientists study the effects of marijuana. They concluded that it wasn't dangerous enough to be classified as Schedule 1. Nixon eventually went against their advice but thats besides the point. Some people may experience marijuana differently than others.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

You need rehab as long as you cannot control yourself. Rehab is a positive option that can help you. It is really difficult to stop smoking hence you need advice.
  16. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Any kind of addiction can need some sort of rehab if you can no longer get a handle on your craving. But because weed is so widely seen as fairly harmless, there isn't big business behind the rehab for it.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In my experience, no. Rehab isn't necessary to quit marijuana. I even remember reading somewhere the a lot of rehab facilities won't accept weed smokers, as they have limited places, and they need to be kept open for more serious drug user's.
  18. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I'd say no unless for extreme cases, quitting pot may not be easy, but is way much easier than narcotics. still, it's a risk no one would want to take. Actually, just a little support from family would go a long way helping the smoker quit successfully.
  19. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

In most cases he or she probably doesn't, but like @amino21023, I think that some extreme cases may necessitate rehab. It partly depends on the individual because some people are more prone to addictions and can have a harder time overcoming one.
    amin021023 likes this.
  20. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Majority of the time people don't go to rehab for marijuana. If a person who uses heavily and has trouble quitting and they feel that rehab could help them, then maybe that's a place were they should be. I do know people that have quit on their own and they are fine, so it really depends on each individual situation.