An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you not drink in order to be supportive?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by aimeep80, Mar 11, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I'd say its better to just have no alcohol around the house at all. Not only will this prevent them from drinking it, but this will encourage them to drink the healthier drinks like juices and water, especially if you are doing the same. If you have an alcoholic family member and you drink alcohol around them, its like taking cocaine around someone who is trying to get clean - it's not right. Definitely much better to avoid alcohol.

Its better to make that person feel comfortable and reassured that they can do it, seeing you they will know that its possible. But if they see you drinking, they might think that it is impossible to quit. Its better to be the example and show what is possible.

Even after they have stopped drinking, I would keep alcohol consumption at a minimum, so that they are not provoked to start again. Let them know that there are plenty of other tasty drinks :)
    aimeep80 likes this.
  2. monty

monty Active Contributor

I think it is the worst reason for being supportive.I think you can support others to leave this.But drinking and supporting is the worst idea according to me because what the benefits for us.And it also affects our health too.And I love myself very much and I don't want that anything affects me.