An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you pay attention to alcohol ads?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jasmine2015, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

How many times do you watch an ad for alcohol and it has beautiful women? There is a party going on, or you have some rich person sipping it like it's the best thing they ever had? But if you pay attention at the very last second of the commercial in a rushed voice the ad says to " drink responsibly". Sometimes it may even be in fine print as if they expect people to squint atvthe TV to read it. Who thinks of " drinking responsibly" when your mind has just been loaded of images that that drink being shown is going to get you sexy ladied (or men) and you are going to party and have a great time?
    KeepLookingUp* likes this.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

This marketing strategy of alcohol manufacturers really does wonders. Commercials of alcohol always include a set woman, party or a hunk. It somehow strays your mind away from the dangers of alcohol addiction. Even if there is a warning that says "drink responsibly," you don't really notice it because you're still hung up with the sexy and fun commercial. I cannot really stop alcohol manufacturers or companies from these types of commercials. But one thing we can do is counter these commercials.

I think the government should also show ads where there are statistics of deaths by drunk driving or accidents due to drunk driving. Maybe some images will also help. This way, there is an equal playing field for both parties. However, when will this happen? These alcohol companies have such huge power and connections that maybe even the government is afraid of them.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't pay much attention to alcohol adverts really. Drink was never my weak point. However, I'm not sure how much good the "please drink responsibly" message is doing at all. I agree with @Coolkidhere in that governments could do more if they weren't constantly pandering to the alcohol companies.
  4. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Commercials never influenced what I drank. I would usually try different drinks while I was at a bar or club based on what others told me to about them. The commercials do a good job trying to influence people to buy their products but I personally needed to hear the drink was good before I would purchase it.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I don't pay much attention to any of the ads. I always enjoy the Budweiser ones for the Super Bowl. They have nothing to do with the beer really. They are just creative and touching. I love the horses. They are so beautiful. Other then that I really don't watch a whole lot of commercials.
  6. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

There are very few alcohol ads on television where I live. Most of them are ads for beer and feature 'strong masculine' characters doing traditionally 'manly' tasks like building things. Being a woman they aren't really aimed at me!

I haven't had a television for about ten years though so it might be different now. I've seen a lot of ads for Budweiser (specifically Bud Light) while watching UFC fights though. The tag line is "Bud Light: the perfect beer for whatever happens". They don't seem like particularly effective ads to me, but maybe that's because you can't even buy that beer here.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

When I do stop and think about it, there are a lot of advertisements like that in my country. It makes drinking seem glamorous, beautiful, and like it makes you the life of the party. It doesn't ever emphasize the negatives or the dangers, and like you said, the message about drinking responsibly is just mentioned briefly in the tiniest of text sizes. I hate that this sort of attitude would possibly get people involved in drinking alcohol because they think that's the lifestyle that comes along with it.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have noticed these ads tend to have beautiful women, which can cause a guy to see women and alcohol are related and also, think it is quite strange that these sorts of ads are shown on the television. It is interesting to see the ads which shown and people need to be aware of alcohol which can cause a person to get addicted to it, and also hope people will not get intoxicated by alcohol, which can ruin their lives. I think that it is quite surprising that these sorts of ads are shown on the television and also, people can think about alcohol and in some cases it can lead some people to go and buy alcohol.
  9. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

It would be nice to see the alcohol advertising industry being forced to adopt responsible drinking messages, similar to the health warnings that are on cigarette packets. A few comments about drinking in moderation and some figures showing how many people die from alcohol abuse every year should soon knock that 'sexy' vibe on the head and inject a bit of realism into the perfect World of adverts.
  10. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I pay about as much attention to alcohol ads as I do most other ads, which is to say very little. Unless an ad is funny, I usually divert my attention to something else until it's over. Most ads for beer or wine or whatnot are dull, and you often can't even tell what they're advertising until the end of the commercial. Car ads have the same problem. Get the message across or don't waste your money.

... though I suppose I should be grateful that I find beer ads unsuccessful, considering which forum we're in...
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

They incorporate those kinds of things: beautiful women, huge parties, yatch, and other luxury into their commercials because it's an advertising strategy of alcohol companies. However, we all know that's not what really happens in reality. Well, I am not really that affected with those advertisements. I may be a social drinker, but I cannot easily be fooled by those false ads.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

This is common practice amongst a lot of companies, I certainly saw it before. Nowadays I don't pay a lot of attention to ads, although companies do get embedded in my brain but I can't help it. Most of the things promoted nowadays are useless, you're better off without them.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I see lots of alcohol commercials each weekend. Though at the end of it they advice imbibers to drink responsibly few people who've been incentivized into drinking by the illusions of "of coolness" don't pay attention to the advice.

As for the efficacy of alcohol commercials/ads, I think they are targeted more at people who already do drink, the sole goal being trying to get them to try a "better beer/liqour brand.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I very rarely take much notice of any advertising to be honest because I think we're all aware that a lot of it is rubbish and all they're doing is trying to tempt you into buying their product.

In the ads for alcohol, it always glamourises the drinking and the partying, but for ex alcoholics on here, we also know what comes next after that, the part they don't show you.
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

If you haven't noticed, the new advertising strategies used today are applied in movies. Straight up ads are a thing of the past. For example, The Hangover. What do you think was going on in that movie? Pure advertising. Smoking ads are another example. I think it was back in the 80s when cigarette ads on TV got banned. And what do you think happened? They gave us Miami Vice, where Sonny Crockett never took a cigarette out of his mouth. I bet you a lot more people took up smoking watching that show than they did watching the Marlboro cowboy on his horse.
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

They are ads; of course they have to be attractive. And everyone should know their limits and drink responsibly, without some piece of text shown on the screen. It's common sense, after all. Yes, alcohol is good at parties, it would look a bit silly to invite people over and give them orange juice to drink. But everything should be taken with measure.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The thing is they have to sell it, so they want to make it look good. If they showed a commercial with a drunk driver getting into a horrific accident then said drink responsibly most people would avoid drinking. I think that if a person can drink responsibly they'd be okay when drinking. Still it does seem like they show more of an enticing side to drinking without emphasizing the importance of being responsible. This is why you can't take every thing you see on TV literally.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

The marketing strategies those people use are so unethical. I have noticed most of those ads feature the same thing over and over, but with small variations in the setting and of course the male lead and the models. But it's the very same thing! They want everyone to believe that one they start drinking their lives will be so cool and amazing, everyday will be like a party if you are drinking. I must say that yes, after watching one of those ads I did feel like having a drink, my favorite drink. I'd be lying to you if I said I don't feel the craving to have a sip of my favorite homemade liquor...
  19. MrMaheu1983

MrMaheu1983 Member

Hey guys, how do you deal with all the advertising on the Internet? Honestly, I'm already tired of it, it says, even hundreds of times on the same day, on any site I wouldn't enter, the ad appears. Honestly, I already know what to do with her. I have no idea. A friend recommended me to use adblock, meaning it's a special application that blocks any ad that may appear. That sounds interesting to me. I mean, I'd try to use it, but I wouldn't want to spend money on an application that won't work well. I read an article about this, about adblock for chrome. Maybe you can recommend me something better?
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  20. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

Most drink responsibly. TV adds are tested via Madison Ave type science, that's essentially based on neurolinguistics and images of beauty, this is unreality. These images are created by a mental framework of "I'm not enough-ism", which is a major reason why substance and non-substance addiction occurs.
    Last edited: May 24, 2020