An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you play a game to get sober

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Bonzer, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

It's simple! Do you play a physically engaging game like Badminton, Tennis, Soccer or just about anything to let out the heat from your system. I believe, the intense physical activity cools down your nerves, besides making you mentally lighter. In an intense game, you breathe hard and your oxygen consumption goes up several folds. Your cells energize and you spend a lot of glucose. Your heart gets efficient and toxins go out through sweat. I personally like Badminton as it is both anaerobic and aerobic and is thoroughly engaging.

However, what I mean to ask you is, does playing a game bring you sobriety? Do you feel calm, composed and happy, after playing a hard game of your favorite sport?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't play any team games at all but I really enjoy walking and cycling. I do find that I feel so much better after a good long walk or ride out and I do think that exercise was one of the most important aspects of my recovery.
  3. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

@missbishi: Yes, exercise really helps. It conditions our organs so that they work, the way, they are expected to. Some of the immediate palpable aspects of exercise are good digestion and sound sleep. Thanks for your reply. Keep in touch!
  4. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I don't play any games. But when I get really stressed or antsy I take a dog for a walk. They harder I need to work it out determines which dog I take. The two males make me practically gallop to keep up with them. The girls either stay right next me or make me stop every 10'feet for soling or other
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Hard strenuous exercise will burn off an pent up energy that you may have. After that take a hot shower and man, does that feel good. So relaxing.
  6. kana_marie

I agree! For me, the best part is how easily I fall asleep that night
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

After burning off all that energy and feeling the exhaustion we begin getting sleepy. I can't describe how good it feels to doze off. It's like your body's rewarding you for a job well done with a good night's sleep. Sometimes when I haven't done anything productive during the day, I'm having troubles even falling asleep. When I'm exhausted, though, sleeping feels so incredibly good, it's difficult to depict.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Exercise always work. You need to burn off excesses energy. Build up a good sweat and release that pent up energy.
  9. kana_marie

I feel better now that I've started walking daily than I have in a very long time! I take my male dogs with me so I have to practically jog to keep up. It wears me out, but cheers me up and perks me up at the same time.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am not really that sporty. I don't play any physical game that much. I prefer reading books, watching movies, and listening to music. These very laidback activities keep me clean and sober.
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m not much of a team player, I must admit. But I do find that physical activity does keep me centered. I usually rely on a combo of speedwalking/jogging with some sprints tossed in, yoga, and basic body weight exercises. Burns off the excess energy, takes my mind off things, and helps me sleep at night. Winner all around.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I do try and work out or stay active to not only keep me from wanting to use any sort of substance but to keep myself busy and engaged with others through sport and to remain healthy overall.

There are so many benefits of sports and working out for a multitude of reasons in life.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Games/sports like exercising will generally make someone happy since they stimulate the production of endorphins which will elevate your mood. If you abused drugs so you could extract some feeling of happiness from them once you find a good alternative [like sports] then I think someone in recovery may realize that they don't really need drugs that much. It would make it easier for them to let go [of drugs].
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Physically activity is always helpful. Team sports are great! Just be careful you don't get into one of those "beer leagues" where the focus is less on the activity and more on drinking during it.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I do not play any sports really, but I do love to go on a nice long hike in the mountains. With hiking I get peace of mind being out in nature and it is a good way to practice controlled breathing. When you are focusing on the strain and pain of trying to make it up a hill, you really aren't thinking of much but the task at hand, let along alcohol or drugs.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I do play sports like Football and Handball and I find that they actually help a little bit, but not as much as I would've hoped. They're good to let off some steam and take your mind off of things but sports don't really work for me in the long run.
  17. harold

harold Community Champion

Games can be very helpful. The truth is that games make you happy and can be very vital for your recovery if you really enjoy playing them. Physical games are very engaging and would really occupy you, while giving you entertain yourself at the same time. You need to be careful and make sure that you do not become addicted to the games. At the end of the day, sport games are really helpful as they keep you busy and distracted. Sport games help.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I also don't play any games at all, but when I take a short walk I feel hyper, energized and talkative, I don't feel calm and composed at all, lol. Exercise releases endorphins, so it's natural to feel positive after exercising.
  19. msmith14

msmith14 Member

I definitely do! My SO and I take part in kayaking! If you love adventure and being active outdoors, it is definitely a great hobby! When I start feeling down about my sobriety we schedule some outdoor time and it helps me so much. The fresh air clears your mind and being active keeps you busy so you have no time to think about anything.