An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you really need your substance?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by GenevB, May 18, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Hello everyone, I want to bring up a situation that happened to me yesterday. I want to say that I am a smoker I smoke somewhere between 5 and 12 cigarettes a day. Yesterday I was playing video games, I really got into them and somehow managed to lose the notion of time. When I looked up the time, I realized it was already 1 am today and I started playing at around 3 pm yesterday. The most interesting fact, it's that I've been smoking only a cigarette before started playing it, but I didn't felt the need to smoke during the game, I felt hungry (I ate at some point), but never felt the need of smoking. Right now I'm thinking that addictions are strong related with one's free time. What do you think? Would you consider this as a method to quit smoking or another drug?
  2. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Any distraction whatsoever that keeps your mind occupied helps you to keep off addiction. When your mind has nothing to do, the only thing you can think about is addiction. So yeah, I think this is a great way to fight addiction.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

A lot of the cigarettes we smoke are habitual. It's always a good idea to keep a smoking diary and work out which cigarettes you smoked because you craved them and which ones you smoked purely out of habit.
  4. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

I really only smoke when I am bored. During the summer I do not smoke at all, however, when I am at school I really need to smoke. During the school year I smoke because then, I do not have a job, and I am bored a lot of the time.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think that our brain thinks about substances only when it's not occupied with certain things. That is why a lot of people recommend addicts to stay busy and do something else in their free time. Keeping your mind off of your addiction can be beneficial.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Most people, Inc fact I'd say all smoker smoke more our if habit than anything else. If I've got my mind on something, or if I'm doing something, then I can go hours with a cigarette.

The problems come when I have nothing to do, or when I'm back in my usual routine.