An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you refuse to take any type of prescribed medicine?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by pineywood, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I agree with this. I don't like to take medication unless I really need it. I get some pretty bad headaches at times, but I try to wait them out or take the lowest dose of Excedrin or go lie down, if possible. When it comes to prescription drugs, I ask a lot of questions. I also ask if there's any other option besides medicine or if lesser meds will work. My doc now is cool that way though. She knows how I am, so she tries to work with me. She'll say, "yeah, this time you need to take it," or "We can probably figure something out without the pills." I appreciate her for that.
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

To each his/her own. But the reason I don't trust doctors is that a lot of them only help you to the extent that you only get half well. Meaning that they get their money by you having a reason to keep coming back. Basically getting rich off of a person continually getting ill.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Whenever I get a new medication from the doctor, I check the side effects of said medication online. Because you just never know what side effects could cause. Most of the times doctors won't tell you, I don't know if they don't do it because they just don't care to because they don't even know what the heck they're giving us. I think it could be a little bit of both.

I do take medications when is necessary. I used certain meds wrong when I was younger (if you know what I mean), but right now I'm trying to stay away from that kind of meds. No more clonazepam! I do take meds to control blood pressure and my glucose levels.
  4. Tremmie

I really don't like painkillers! They fix one thing, but screw another! In my case (I suffer from IBS) they most of the time get me constipated. I guess this is because I suffer from IBS and certain ingredients in most painkillers cause me to get constipated every time I take them. It's tough, because I live with chronic pain, so I only take painkillers when it's strictly necessary.

Plus there are other great options to manage pain nowadays. There are times painkillers are necessary, but most of the times they can be avoided.
  5. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I'm sorry that you suffer from IBS. That must suck. Constipation is one of the worst things for anybody to have to deal with. It's so uncomfortable. There are other options, but painkillers are still somewhat of a necessity nowadays, but I don't like them whatsoever.
  6. Matthodge1

I guess that is what it all comes down to. To each his/her own. I agree that there are bad doctors out there who are not worth talking to because they don't care about their patients, but my doctors I know on a personal level, and I have gained trust for all of them.
  7. Tremmie

Thank you :) I've the kind of IBS that well.. let's say I do have constipation problems sometimes, but also there are day when I need to go running to the bathroom, yes, most of the time I get the urge with no notice or sign! I just know I have to run, hehehe. Not cool, both the constipation and the runs, but I'm learning to deal with it.

Right now my main issue is the bloating though, I have the constipation under control (I take psyllium for that and helps a lot). But the bloating and abdominal pain after eating certain things kills me...

Once I complained about that, the doctor said.. ''then why don't you take your IBS medication regularly?'' And I was like: ''because said medication can lead to liver failure, you idiot''. I said that in my head only... in reality I just stared at her.
  8. Matthodge1

That first paragraph sounds like the most awful thing that someone would have to go through at a learning facility haha. Dang. I'm sorry about that. At least it's bloating and not pooping randomly.
  9. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

Most things you can get over the counter in the US aren't going to cause too much trouble if you take them right. No reason not to pop some Tylenol if your back hurts, or Benadryl if you have allergies/need to sleep/have allergic reactions.

Doctors tend to over prescribe medications as a safety precaution on their own end. On their side of things, it's better to give you the pain prescription than for you to even have a chance to grasp at straws to form a lawsuit. As long as you take things the way you're prescribed, it shouldn't cause issues. Of course, if you're predisposed to substance abuse it might be better to refuse them on those grounds, and the doctor should understand, if not respect the decision.
  10. Tremmie

It is, IBS can be a mix of both. Some experience only constipation, others get the runs, and others like me get a mix of both from time to time. Not good at all! But I've learnt to live with it ;) It's all about lifestyle changes, mostly proper diet, drinking a lot water and exercising. At least that is what I'm trying right now.
  11. Lackluster

It is manageable for some people, others not so much. I've got it mildly, and I only discovered that after I stopped hard drinking. The punies and hangovers leave you with similar symptoms, so it'll confuse you a bit when you've got the whiskey fits even when you haven't had the whiskey. I do not envy anyone who has to put up with it in a clinical setting, because even if they know about it they really don't understand how to help you deal with it.
  12. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I refuse to take ones that do something to your brain, or perhaps mental illness one because I don't agree with it and I don't believe it's accurate and differs from drugs. I do not refuse to take medicine that is actually related to a true physical diagnosis, but if it's something like CRPS and chronic pains, or mere belief diagnosis medicine with a lot of side effects, I would stay away from.
  13. Tremmie

Yeah, I'm aware, because I have relatives who got it far worse than me. Mine is mild if compared to theirs ;) But sometimes... maybe once or twice a year I experience what I like to call ''IBS crisis''. Fortunately not last year :) I hope this year I won't either, but we will see. Drinking made my IBS far worse, specially the last years prior to quitting. Actually I think my IBS was a strong factor to quit drinking.
  14. Lackluster

For me as well. You just reach a point where the added distress is so great that if all you accomplished was temporary relief on your bowels, you'd give a limb to do it. Even the mild cases are awful. I generally get a 'light crisis' situation at least once a month. It's harder to deal with if you're always in public, as well.
  15. Tremmie

To be honest I take one day at the time ;) With IBS you just never know, I'm sure you know what I mean! Some days all is fine, some days not so much. Do you have a bloating problem as well? Lately I notice I start getting so bloated right after the noon, once I have lunch most of the time. I guess I'm going through a difficult patch. I feel so glad when I have a normal day... no runs, no constipation or cramps, bloating... but those days are rare :(
  16. Lackluster

I'm lactose intolerant, and have issues with beans - I'm constantly bloated and cramping from something. I've grown kind of used to it, but sometimes I feel like I'd rather let the air out with a knife it hurts so bad. If you eat something with too much lactose in it, it'll feel like you've been gunshot.

And the runs are the worst. My dad had a funny saying for me when I was younger; trusting a fart is like trusting a lawyer - you'll be fine most times but when it counts...
  17. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I do take prescribed medications when needed, however since I have a loved one addicted to prescription medication, it makes me afraid and I don't really like taking medications. I have gotten to the point where I will only take medications when I really really need it, sometimes prolonging whatever is making me feel ill.
  18. Matthodge1

Honestly, if I had to choose, I don't know if I would rather have the runs or constipation. What do you usually have to eat to help avoid this?
  19. Lackluster

Truth be told, you're a step ahead of the game because you're worried about addiction before you ever start. Most addicts just jump right in without care one for how it will affect them down the line. The feeling that you have too much to lose, or that you might not come out clean from using it, means that you're not inclined to let the drugs control you.
  20. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I'm not opposed to taking any medication that the doctor prescribes, I trust my doctor and myself. I know when its time to stop taking a medication so that I don't become reliant on it.