An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you refuse to take any type of prescribed medicine?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by pineywood, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I'm a bit lactose intolerant and I suspect I might suffer from some sort of gluten allergy (not 100% sure about that one though). I've noticed that the more far away I stay from dairy products the better. I've noticed that the more salads I eat the better, beef is terrible for my colon... not to mention coffee, spicy things and citric stuff. So it's a tough one :( I'm bloated most of the time lately, no idea why... guess I'm going thru a really long bad rough patch, lol.

Oh by the way, oily stuff is definitely a big no!
  2. Tremmie

Oh my! I also suffer from lactose intolerance, but it's very mild! I'm so sorry to hear you have to deal with constant bloating, I didn't... until last few months. I've the same damn problem as you!!!!! I swear I sometimes with I was like one of those silly toys that you can just squeeze a bit and then all the air goes out! I'm like... come on!!! It's just air... amazing what an air build up can do!

By the way... do you watch your diet? Or you are like me and end up eating things that we, IBS, lactose intolerant folks aren't supposed to eat? The list is very long!
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have a friend who is lactose intolerant and he still chooses to eat dairy a lot. That sucks. I'm sorry that you have a ton of intolerant tendencies in your diet. I love things that have dairy and gluten in them so I would hate for you to miss out on stuff. I love spicy food, too, so it looks like you're just striking out on all the things I like haha.
  4. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

The list of foods that irritate my IBS or my lactose intolerance is very, very long. If I was down to eating just the things that didn't aggravate me, I'd eat nothing but chicken broth and drink black coffee. I like food too much to let my problems ruin my diet (or lack of one, heh) so I eat what I will but I do try to slack back on the most problematic things. I eat ice cream a handful of times a year, for example, because it's one of the worst offenders for me.

The side effects that most concern me involve the gas and bloating primarily, because when I finally get some relief from the bloating it's because I've unleashed a cloud of gas that could get me executed under the Geneva convention.
  5. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I think doctors over prescribe medication. I think they should only be taken in severe cases
  6. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

There's nothing like a whole bowl full of creamy cheesy pasta. I feel so sorry for those who cannot enjoy
  7. Tremmie

Same here, I barely watch my diet :p But I now consume less spicy things, I used to eat a lot spicy stuff in the past and suffer for it. Not anymore. I'm older now and am more sensitive to the pain! When I was younger I didn't really think much about this issue to be honest. I still eat beans ;) LOL. Life is too short to live it eating boiled chicken breasts and water, hehehe! I say, f*ck this bloating and let's enjoy life ;) This weekend I'll not watch my lactose consumption xD
  8. Tremmie

To be honest with you I still consume the things I'm not supposed to, but with moderation ;) Right now I'm watching my diet and eating more light and healthy. When I was younger I used to eat a looooooot chili sauce, I poured it on everything. I use to much, same with jalapeno chillies, lol, specially the pickled one... I threw a ton on my food. I always paid for it.

Now I only use a little sauce and chilies, mostly because of the fact I know I'd suffer if I used more, but also because my tastes have changed :) I feel in heaven when I eat bread and eat something fried.... mmmmmmmmm!!!! I love desserts too... :p
  9. Rholm

Rholm Member

I personally try to avoid using prescription drugs unless necessary, I try to do some research into whatever drug I've been prescribed before deciding whether or not to take it, based on the pros versus the cons of the drug. Even then, I oftentimes try to find alternatives or try to ask myself whether or not I can hustle on without it. Oftentimes prescription drugs are well researched and have very little downsides when used properly and not chronically (I.E: Paracetamol), but most drugs are not this way and have various side effects varying from person to person, so it's always good to research beforehand.
  10. Matthodge1

Well, most Americans still consume things they aren't supposed to haha. That is just what this culture thrives on, really. Gosh, I can only imagine what you had to go through with that chili sauce haha. You poor soul.
  11. Matthodge1

That sounds delicious. I ate some nachos earlier and they were so good. I feel bad for all of those people who blow up when they eat cheese.
  12. Tremmie

To be honest I totally deserved it ;) I put so much sauce on everything back then, I was such an idiot, for reals. Now I don't know why, but I no longer feel the need to eat a lot chili. I'm more like ''meh'', but I still like to eat pickled chillies... specially with my nachos and popcorn ;) Today I had mexican food and feel great, lol, we will see tomorrow ;)
  13. Devonne

Devonne Member

I try my best to go about things in a more holistic sort of way. I have experienced too many side effects from prescribed medications that I find this way is better for me and for my overall health. It's not easy though, it's often times more time consuming and costly to do things the holistic way. My personal belief is that there is something natural for everything and feel like big pharmaceutical companies try to extort us to pay for something with a slew of side effects compared to something natural that has little to no side effects.

I didn't always feel that way though. I was all about pain killers for so long and developed a deep addiction with them that almost cost me my life. Doctors and the pharmacy didn't seem to care about my personal health and safety because I'm pretty sure they knew I was abusing them. That was a dark time for me and from that moment I made up my mind to never venture down that road again. So far, 6yrs later, I am better and love that I don't have a big company profiting off of my illnesses.
  14. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I have refused prescription medications because I love natural remedies but I am not crazy. If I really needed the drugs then I would use them. I can't see killing myself because I refuse to use them. I try the natural stuff first but if it does not work, I use prescriptions. Now if I am really sick and did not have time to make this gamble then bring on the drugs!!
  15. jamesf1184

jamesf1184 Member

I just recently watched my father go through withdrawls, lose months of his memory, endanger his life by getting behind a wheel. By the time her figured out something was wrong he had spoken to the doctor.
    This happens to one in one thousand the doctor said. But my dad was unfortunate. He hasn't been to anyone other than the primary physician to deal with the consequences of amphetamines, but it brought to mind how often mishaps like that must happen.
  16. lissetetiff

lissetetiff Member

I try to avoid painkillers at all costs. I really despise being in pain and I therefore know that I can easily come to rely on painkillers even for small symptoms that do not require medication at all especially cramping during that time of the month.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I decided quite a few years ago that I would not take any kind of prescribed medication unless it was absolutely necessary. Of course, in many situations it is absolutely necessary and some people, such as my father, have no choice but to continue to take prescribed medication(s) for the rest of their lives. Many prescribed medications can have adverse potential side effects but if they are required to prolong your health for as long as possible then so be it.
  18. Matthodge1

Haha, as long as you can acknowledge that you did it to yourself, then I think you're making a lot more progress than most people. Chili is a meh food for me too, honestly. Mexican food is the bomb, though, so I dunno if I could ever give all of that up.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I generally steer clean of any pharmaceuticals these days. The only exception is when I am actually sick I will take the antibiotics.
  20. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's actually the good way to go. I would stay away from mental alternation drugs too.