An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you refuse to take any type of prescribed medicine?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by pineywood, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Mexican food is the bom and also a bomb, lol. I love it, loaded with salsa and cheese :p A real bomb for someone with a really bad IBS! Hehehe, fortunately I can eat that, I get a few cramps, but worth it ;) After a while you learn to live with the bloating. It is how it is, gotta play with the cards you are dealt ;)
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

How bad are your cramps on a scale of one to ten? And I hate feeling bloated so I don't know if I could deal with that, as much as I love Mexican haha.
  3. Tremmie

I don't get them daily, but when I do am usually sitting in an odd position and my IBS and colitis are so bad! So I'd say it's a 8. Yes, at first I felt scared and thought the worse because I felt the cramps on my right side! I though that maybe I had serious liver issues, thankfully no, got checked and it was and has always been my damn colon!
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

Yes. These drugs can be beneficial sometimes as long as you do not take them for a long time. There are regulators who ensure the quality of drugs before they are taken to the pharmacy. But you should not completely rely on them since you are supposed to see the doctor regularly. Report on any side effects and insist on a remedy.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I only use prescribed medicine if that's my only option. I prefer not taking pills or anything like this as they have a lot of weird chemicals in them, and I mostly rely on traditional medicine. The only beneficial drugs are vitamin supplements in my opinion.
  6. Matthodge1

Dang, an 8? That's a pretty high pain level. Has your tolerance grown over time or has it just been bad ever since you have had this? You're lucky that it wasn't something serious like liver issues haha(not saying IBS is not serious).
  7. Matthodge1

I agree with you there. There are so many weird chemicals and words that cannot be pronounced haha.
  8. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Nowadays there is so much wrong with medicine, it seems like every time I watch tv there is a commercial about some defective medicine and how a person can sue if they have experienced any negative side effects. When I do take prescribed medicine, I always try to research it the best I can before I use it but if there is an herbal alternative I prefer that instead.
  9. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I trust a doctor period. I leave the benefit-to-risk ratio to my physician and use any drug as prescribed. If you really want to cut down on medication, then you've to lead a disciplined lifestyle. If not you will be subject to some or other health problem. Some people are naturally afraid of taking medicines and don't use them regularly. Such individuals usually nurse a phobia and need to be counselled.
  10. Tremmie

Yes, it can be pretty bad, specially the right side! Lately it´s also the left side, but ever since I started eating more veggies and eat better I don´t feel bad at all. There are some bad days of course, but lately not often at all. I feel great, my GERD seems to be gone as well. And no, I started to notice the cramps were getting bad back in 2011, I've had several colonoscopies since then... as well as sonograms and all is fine. So IBS and colitis are to blame.
  11. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I just saw a commercial for Lyrica and it got me frustrated. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and my doctor wanted me to switch to Cymbalta or try Lyrica with my SSRI to help but I can't bring myself to do it due to the interactions and side effects I keep hearing about. I feel safe with my SSRI as it's a low dose and one that gives me no side effects. I want to feel better but don't want to take one of those!
  12. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I think that refusing any kind of medication is just (I'm sorry) dumb. And probably very frustrating to doctors who spent years upon years in medical school and then years upon years accumulating knowledge and experience and then have someone tell them they don't believe in life-saving medicine because they saw a blog post about it or a controversial but funny person speaking about how risky it is and side-effects etc. There are side-effects, there is risk in anything, but to list possible side-effects that have been documented in a small percentage of users is not a sign that you will get any of them, either. Tons of things in our life have the potential (or in some cases, just have) side effects, but for some reason, if it comes from the doctor and the "lab", we distrust this all the more.

I mean, I respect people's choice to do whatever they want with their body. But I don't hold much for their thought-process and their ignorance.

That being said, I know there are people with more legitimate reasons that just jumping on the "all natural fad!medicine is bad!"

And I guess I don't live in the US, so I don't have the same circumstances. And yeah, from the outside looking in, I would not trust the healthcare as a system, since it's so oriented on profit, so I can understand the distrust a bit, I guess.
  13. SarahWorksAtHome

So which is it? It seems there's a bit of conflict in your opinion. First you say it is stupid to refuse medication and that we should trust the doctors, but then you end with not trusting the healthcare as a system and understanding the distrust. I'm just trying to clarify your stance as it seemed strange to go from one view to the other. Are you saying you see moderation?
  14. Skyspirit

Skyspirit Member

I had at one point in the past but now w/back and hip issues, it seems unless I don't want to experience major pain I have to take some aspect of a muscle relaxer at least once or twice a year - As the use is so limited, my doctor doesn't think it is a problem that will lead to addiction. Although, I tend to think that when it comes to major pain meds like Hydrocodone and Vicodin those are more addictive due to the narcotic elements over basic muscle relaxers - Has anyone else had these type problems, and if so, what OTC medication or treatment would you recommend? I've been to a chiropractor - in my case, - she sent me to my doctor due to HBP at the time - Another chiro really helped in the past though also suggested I might need to use a combination - So, when docs who don't believe in meds are suggesting I need to use a combo - makes me question - Thanks.
  15. Matthodge1

I guess that is a good motivation to eat healthy. I need to eat a lot more veggies and fruits, so I should get on that haha. What is a bad day like in your book? And maybe I am just stupid, but what the heck is a Gerd?
  16. Tremmie

A bad day for me is when my GERD, colitis and IBS team up on me, lol. GERD stands for Gastroesophageal reflux disease. It can be very bad for some people, some months ago mine was soooo bad, so bad some mornings I woke up with some stomach acid in my throat! Some days I had horrible chest pain... it was hell, one day I had chest pain, plus horrible colitis/IBS cramps on the left side of my abdomen. It was HELL!!! Definitely a bad day! I feel great now :) It's amazing what a good diet can do!
  17. SarahWorksAtHome

I took a few things for my GERD before but I encountered a problem with them giving me a different problem... indigestion! I was like, "well, guess it's just blocking too much acid now!" lol.
    I have found a swig of almond milk or a spoonful of peanut butter to be ultimately soothing and a good alternative to taking meds for the GERD now. Just soothes my throat and tummy without blocking acid I need to digest my food!
  18. Matthodge1

Ah. Thanks for explaining what that meant to me, as I am just a plebe haha. That sounds awful. Did you throw it up or just swallow it? I hate chest pain,so I am really sorry that you ha to deal with that haha. Do you drink?
  19. Tremmie

It wasn´t that much acid, you know, just the taste in my mouth and the burning in my throat. it felt awful! It was like having a sore throat. Omeaprozole actually made things worse. No, I rarely drink, maybe once or twice a year if ever, I used to be an alcoholic so I better whatch it, hehehe. Plus alcohol is terrible for IBS and GERD sufferers. What about you? Do you drink?
  20. SarahWorksAtHome

I have GERD and drinking has always made the reflux ten times worse AND the next day... ohhhhh the tummy cramps and irritable bowel symptoms... just awful. It's been one thing that makes it easier to stay away from alcohol except in small amounts occaisionally. I was tearing my insides up when I was drinking like I used to.