An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you refuse to take any type of prescribed medicine?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by pineywood, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Gosh, that sounds really painful. How did you get rid of that feeling? How long were you an alcoholic? and I used to drink, but I realized that it really is pointless and stupid so I quit.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, the sensation could last a couple days, was worse in the mornings! I didn't know at first why I had that, but I went to see the doctor and she told me that indeed, the acid was burning my throat as well my ears (they're all connected). So as you can see GERD is no fun at all! Amazing, but since I stopped taking those reflux meds I no longer what up wth that anymore. Funny, huh?

Since I was a teen, my mom was an alcoholic as well, I saw her drinking... had my first sip of beer when I was 8, but didn't start drinking a lot until I was a teen, then I began drinking a lot. I'm talking about 2 bottles of tequila or so. Not good at all! I'd say probably 10 years?
  3. Matthodge1

That sounds so painful. Did it hurt worse in your throat or your ears? And yeah, it's funny that all of that stopped once you stopped taking the meds. I guess some medicine is not for everybody haha. I know a lot of people who drink or started drinking because they saw their parents do it.
  4. Tremmie

No, I could barely feel it in my ears, it was the throat that was bad. The doctor was the one who told me the acid was probably affecting my ears. No more of that anymore :) It sounds crazy, but in the last few years I have gotten a couple really shocking diagnosis. Yeah, actually meds like omeaprozole are said to make things worse for some people, weird, huh!
  5. Matthodge1

That sounds really terrifying. When did all of this happen? I'm glad that you aren't dealing with this anymore haha. Is this like a genial or hereditary thing or what?
  6. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

@Tremmie Has it caused a significant amount of esophogal (sp?) erosion for you? When I had it for awhile really bad, they did an upper gi scope on me and found a good bit of erosion. Said it would probably heal if we could get the acid controlled.
  7. Tremmie

@SarahWorksAtHome Mostly the throat, my throat doesn't look so good even now, I had some small protuberances on the bad, was told it was due my post nasal drip and the reflux. My esophagus seems to be ok, according to the last upper endoscopy. I feel much better now I am off from omeaprozole, but sadly I have noticed exercise seems to trigger my GERD.
  8. Tremmie

Just last year and the beginning of this year, my chest was killing me. One day I woke up with that pain in my left side (abdomen) , as well as my chest. I thougt I was going to die! I had never felt so sick. I really think omeaprozole was hurting me more instead of helping. I was getting chest, back and shoulder pain daily.

I think most of my health issues are genetic, mostly from my mother side. Yeah, genes can be a nightmare, at least the wrong ones.
  9. Matthodge1

I hate whenever my stomach/abs hurt. It keeps you from doing anything! I can imagine how worried you were. That would suck. Sometimes, medication, no matter how popular it is, does more harm than good. Does your mom have a bad health history?
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It depends on the medicine that's prescribed. There are addictive prescription meds with really awful side effects. On the one hand, there are okay meds with little to zero negative side effects. My Digoxin medicine, prescribed to me by a heart surgeon, isn't addictive so I regularly take it. I try to limit my intake to twice or thrice a week, though. According to another doctor, this medicine can destroy the kidneys when excessively ingested. It's better to proceed with caution.
  11. NanouHammie

NanouHammie Member

I refuse to take antipsychotics and antidepressants because of the zombie effect.
  12. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I personally refuse to take benzodiazepines as well as opiates. Not because I think that they're evil drugs, but because I'm aware of their potential to be fun and I'm aware of my desire to take such drugs at high doses. They might be fine for other people, but not for one such as myself.
  13. Tremmie

My mom seems to be healthier than me (am happy for her), but I do know several of my health issues come from her side. Like for example my angioma, my scoliosis, IBS, colitis, asthma, lol. I know, it sounds like a long list, but she has all those as well, but in her everything seems to be milder. She is lucky in that sense, but I? Well, let's say I wasn't so lucky, but my spine seems to be in better shape than hers. Then again I am in my late 20's and she is 60, lol.
  14. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

At this point in life after all the issues I have been experiencing with the side effects of antidepressants, I will have to think seriously about taking any kind of medication in the future. I am saying this in respects to common cold medication and other types. If I had cancer, or some other issue like such, I would certainly not decline treatment.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sorry I don't thinks so. Prescription drugs are synthetic chemicals created in a lab by chemists, man. How is this not harmful when we are real live living human beings meant to eat real living things like vegetables and fruit."Let food be thy medicine." Those prescription drugs should only be a last resort. How can anybody think that the long list of side effects doesn't out weight the benefits? The commercials are ridiculous. You'd have to be asleep to not notice. "....this drug xyz some have suicidal thoughts, it can make your stomach bleed or give you a heart attack. Ask your doctor if xyz is for you." Paxil makes people commit suicide. Is that going to out weigh something? A teenage girl was put on this for anxiety. I mean come on anxiety is an easy one to fix WITHOUT drugs. Her sister asked if she was thinking of killing herself. A suggestive sell on the mind. She hung herself. Wake up and smell the coffee people these drugs are destructive. Money hungry pharmaceutical companies with lawsuits against them.

Pharmaceutical drugs are beneficial to the people who make money off of them. Possible side effects, I don't know. Now they only test a drug, a new one, for 3-6 weeks; then it gets approved. They bury the bad results. Watch the documentary "Making a killing" They interview sales reps from big pharma companies, chemists, and some others. It's worse than you can imagine what they do.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Chemo therapy is mustard gas.
  17. Matthodge1

She has all of those things you listed? That sounds really rough haha. Does she have a spine disease/disorder or what?
  18. Matthodge1

Basically. It kills you, but it also kills all of the bad things inside of you.
  19. Tremmie

No, not all of that, but some members of her family do. Genetics suck, specially if your family has bad genes. It's amazing how even 16 generations later those defective genes can still screw you really bad. I was told by a friend who is a genetist about that, it does make sense if I think about it.
  20. Matthodge1

Dang. What family members are the worst on her side of the family? I know about bad genes. I am basically super susceptible to cancer because of how many family members on both sides have had it.