An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you remember the first time you, a family member, or friend passed out?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by pineywood, Apr 16, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I remember clearly the first time, as a child, I saw my uncle pass out. It was at a family gathering. All of us cousins were running around playing and I saw him fall right over off from his lounge chair. My grandmother tried to swish all of us kids out of the way, but I remember a bunch of the other men carry him inside the house.

There he was in his pressed white shirt, black pants, and tie, yet he was flopped right over looking helpless. For a long time, I was so worried, I thought he had a perpetual case of the flu or was always suffering from heat stoke. because whenever he came to town for a party, he ended up flat on the ground. It wasn't until years later, after he became sober, I found out why. It was like some big family secret. Eventually, he did turn his life around. You can read about it, if you want, under the exert thread Substance Abuse Support, Sobriety Tips and Inspiration.
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

One of my friends was drinking and, also had too much and also was stumbling around everywhere and also could not get up after having vodka a couple of bottles. He just passed out on the floor on the mattress, and also it was strange to see him passing out on the mattress from drinking. He was like that till the next day, and also had a bad hangover the next day and also had a sore headache as well.
  3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I was pretty sheltered from stuff like that as a kid, but as a rambunctious teen I was at a house party and saw a friend slumped over one a chair. I thought he was fine until he just started projectile vomiting all over himself. I swear he didn't even move a muscle and continued to sit there while people took pictures.
  4. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I remember my first time passing out like it was yesterday. I was 18 years old the first time I passed out from drinking. I was a senior in high school and I was at a party with my friends who graduated a year before I did. It was an adult party and the people there were in their late twenties and early thirties. They had so much food and alcohol, but I was more concerned about the alcohol. I drank so much alcohol that night. Finally around 3 a.m. we were about to leave but my friends were taking too long to actually leave. I wanted to get to the car so bad and lay down, but I ended up passing out in the street. When I woke up, I was laid out on the back seat in my friend's car. When I got home, my friend had to carry me in the house. That was embarrassing but I had so much fun that night.
  5. pineywood

A 'couple" or bottles or vodka sounds extremity dangerous. Lucky, he did not have complications; such as, alcohol poisoning.

This is disturbing to think about how some people do not understand how dangerous of a situation this can be when someone passes out. Taking pictures instead of making sure they are okay, I think sadly happens all to often.

I can understand how you think back on having a fun night; nevertheless, you are so fortunate that when you fell down, you did not seriously hurt yourself! I have passed out from heat stroke and hit my head and it scared me so much!
  6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

He was in a chair sitting so we knew he wouldn't choke, and his girlfriend helped him get up once everyone had gotten their pics and jokes in. We were lucky nothing serious happened to him.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I wasn't one to pass out. I was able to drink a lot & often with little change for years. Of course I would get drunk but not sloppily so. I used to have a roommate who would pass out all the time. Every other day in fact. There were times people would write on him, slap him, pour water on him, so on. Stayed passed out through it all. I will say there was a time he passed out on Thanksgiving on the couch & all our friends were over so we set up a situation where someone held crushed red pepper, cayenne, chipotle, & black pepper under his nose while someone else put the hose of a vacuum against his mouth & hit the power on. He sure woke up from that one.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Growing up it was practically a daily occurrence for me to watch at least one of my parents pass out due to alcohol. It was just a normal way of life, something that you just grew to accept.

While I've never got myself in to that state, I have had to help other friends who have had more than they can handle though.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I remember it vividly. It was a hotel room party where we drink tequila. I think we finished the bottle in record time. Not bad for a bunch of high schoolers. But the next day I woke up in a pool of vomit, and people were saying I was doing weird things the night before.
  10. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

You are right, I am glad that I did not hurt myself. You have no idea how lucky I am that I did not hurt myself in other ways as well. I have done things such as punch walls and break things, but I never really had any serious damage done to me. Being in the blackout stage is very dangerous. There are some things I remembered the next day and some things that I do not recall doing or saying at all. I am glad I do not do that anymore.
  11. pineywood

I am glad to hear that you realize how lucky you are to have not hurt yourself! Sometimes, people put themselves in risky situations without even realizing just how dangerous the situation can be to themselves or others. I am sure there are also times, when we put ourselves in a risky situation and just do not care. This is not good, but when someone has reckless behavior and does not even realize it, this is even more scary!
  12. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I was lucky enough not to have a family member pass out since non of them has any serious drinking proble. I did see two friends of mine pass out during a school trip though. Yeah, I know that kids are not supposed to drink at school trips but everyone knows that this is happening anyway.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

A friend of mine passed out on a Christmas party-reunion with friends before. That was a not a good experience since he messed the place and someone in the group needed to clean that for him. It was quite disturbing.