An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you still check on a friend when they push you away?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by Zyni, Mar 1, 2015.

1. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I'd say yes. Being an addict I can say though I don't like people pointing out my addiction, or telling how i need to get clean. But, it would be motivational to know somebody cares and worries about me. A lot of addicts fall deeper into the lifestyle they are living because they feel no one cares. I often feel that if I had someone to check on me, or at least care enough to try and help me I can beat this thing. Most people get detoured from checking in with their addict friends because they don't like to be told "stop judging me" or "you have no idea what I'm going through." They don't realize, that friend needs to hear the outside perspective whether it is received at that moment or not.
  2. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

How do you help a friend get off drugs when they won't even admit they are on them? You can completely tell that they are but you try to check on them and convince them you're here to help and they deny the help. They completely deny needing any help because they claim there isn't a problem.
  3. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

It depends on both the friend and their situation. I'll take myself as an example. I pushed all most of my friends away but they kept coming back. Visiting me from time to time and asking me how I was doing and if I needed help. Of course I found that extremely annoying because I wanted to be alone. Looking back now, I'm extremely grateful they checked up on me. That shows me they care and that made me feel good and happy. Even if it was for a while it did and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be so far in my recovery road if they hadn't continued wanting to be my friend even after I treated them badly and pushed them away. So yes, I would keep checking up on a friend. They might not feel it at the moment but everyone needs someone to be there for them through thick and thin.