An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Take Advantage of Alcathons in AA?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by romananthonysmama, Feb 2, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

I think one of the best things that AA has to offer, is the fact that they hold Alcathons during the holidays since they can be so triggering. I actually have a friend who just joined AA, and it made me feel so great because she messaged me on New Years Eve day talking about how she was so worried about when night would come around, so I told her about Alcathons and she ended up going to one. I know it helped her a lot, and she got through the holidays sober and happy at that!

One of my family members is a sponsor and they volunteer sometimes at them. I just think that this was a wonderful idea, because a lot of people do not have a place to go during the holidays, or want to revert from falling back into old habits that could lead to relapse. What do you think about Alcathons?
    Pafpartner likes this.
  2. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Alcathons are a great idea. They can be that helping hand that so many people need, especially during those tougher times of year such as the holidays. I've been to one a couple years back and the energy and comradery amongst everyone was great. It was so inspiring to see everyone sharing in the fellowship and blessings of the holidays, and not the fears that so many associate with them.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think Alcathons are a really good idea and give people support over what are often typically trying times for those trying to recover from alcoholism. I feel like the holidays are when behaviors of drinking to excess are almost normalized -- it's seen as people just "getting into the holiday spirit" for lack of a better way of phrasing it. Having that support network available when a person's resolve may be at its' weakest is really important in the process of beating addiction, I think.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is an "Alcothon"? It sounds like a fantastic idea, having additional support during periods where drink is abundant but what actually happens?
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think this is a great idea. There's always times when people need more support than usual, special holidays etc can be the worse time.

Even if you don't need it, just knowing that extra support is there can make a difference.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

@missbishi they are basically round the clock meetings that they hold over situations where it might be difficult for recovering alcoholics (Thanksgiving, Christmas, things like that) so that if you're recovering you always have a place to drop in if you're struggling over those times!
    missbishi likes this.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh wow, what a great idea! So if anyone is struggling over these times of year, they have somewhere to go right away to get support. That's marvellous. Thank you @kassie1234