An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think doctors too freely prescribe Adderall?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Janie, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

How did you get prescribed Adderall? Do you think you legitimately needed it? Or do you think your doctor too freely prescribed it?

I think this (and Ritalin) used to be very serious drugs that initially required a lot of testing before hand, to be sure there was a legitimate problem that warranted this medication. I wonder if that has changed?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Probably. I mean, the entire healthcare industry benefits when prescriptions are written. Doctors definitely overprescribe Adderall and most prescription drugs, if you ask me. The fact of the matter is that we've become a prescription happy society where pills are supposedly going to cure every issue we have. That's not exactly how things work, though.
  3. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that there are a lot of things out there that are too freely prescribed. Adderall is just another one on the long list. Of course, there are other drugs that are easier to acquire and some that are a bit more difficult. For the most part, I know people who can get Adderall pretty easily...from doctors.
  4. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Honestly, it seems like not just the prescription but the diagnosis for ADD/ADHD is given out to freely. What defines a disorder iswhether it impinges on your life to the extent it causes distress or corrupts the person's life. Now it seems like anyone who has the slightest trouble with concentrating at a given moment is ADD/ADHD.
  5. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

I have a grown in-law, respectable business type guy who asked about these drugs and if it would benefit his situation. The doctor balked at him and asked if he had a brain scan or diagnosis from a psychiatrist. He told us about this about we all just couldn't believe how so many young adults are freely given this drug and yet his doctor wouldn't even entertain the idea of giving it to him. Just makes me wonder who on earth is prescribing these drugs so freely.
    blur92 likes this.
  6. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Yeah I think they do a little bit. I know people who have received prescriptions for this because they just "can't focus", or so they claim to their doctors, so that they can either take the pills to stay up all night to study for exams and stuff like that or sell the pills to other kids on campus who want to be able to stay up all night to study for tests and especially finals.
  7. blur92

I think it may have had to do with young people needing it for focus in school. In anyone who is not enrolled they may be more restrictive towards just because of the addictive nature of the drug. I'm not justifying the situation exactly. Rather, I'm simply throwing out the reason as why his doctor would be so short about it.
  8. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

I got prescribed a few years ago in school when the teachers noticed I couldn't ever focus. I do think I personally have ADHD, but everybody in my family also has adderall prescribed and it's kind of ridiculous. My 12 year old brother was given adderall when he was 10 and from what I noticed had no signs of anything besides not holding interest in things, and they even gave some to my cousin who is literally the most focused and smart individual I know and she abuses it badly now, as have I.
  9. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

That could be. Although he was asking about it to help him in concentrating on his job. Considering he's got a stressful job and he isn't that young, I would have thought the doctor would take him seriously. I just can't believe how freely it is given to young children whose brains are still developing, but a grown man can't get it. Although then again I don't know if there is a large portion of older abusers too.
    blur92 likes this.
  10. blur92

Yeah, if it's a job where he needs to sit down to focus on reading and writing then I can see that. A young child is not as likely to begin abusing it either because they do not have the autonomy to do so. I speak generally. There are families in which the parents are not careful. An adult, however, is independent enough so that is partly where the doctor's concern lies as well. It probably depends on the particular doctor too. Some are more strict than others.
  11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

It is a job to really concentrate in school or work. I had talked to someone who had took adderall and said it was problematic for him at times due to the side-effects. I never heard about adderall until I went to junior college.
  12. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I am not aware of those terms. They sound like harmful drugs. Is that it? Why do doctors prescribe it freely? Forgive my ignorance but I would like to know more.
  13. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It's meant to right ADHD, and it does when prescribed and taken in proper dosages. However when abused (in this case, crushed and snorted generally) its abusive as a speed (like meth, or dosing on caffeine pills x 10). It becomes addictive because of the rush of euphoria it creates, leaving the brain seeking out those endorphin glands.

Then, the feeling of staying on top of things, and go-go-go - thats addictive in and of itself.
  14. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I have a friend who was prescribed to take it and it's based on his performance in school and cognitive responses. Others really have to take it because without it, it is going to be hard to live. Focus is important in life.
  15. juno

juno Community Champion

I think their is a bit of jumping to medication when it comes to Adderall. I know that schools sometimes push for it as well, when I child is difficult to control, so I think it is freely prescribed. You don't even need a psych evaluation, any parent can go ask for it from a pediatrician. I think that is a big problem.
  16. Personally, I was diagnosed with ADD when I was in 7th grade. I believe that the diagnosis itself was faulty, because it was mainly based on my "substandard" grades, and a few rudimentary puzzle-like tests. I keenly remember feeling unmotivated to even try in middle school, and I would never do homework assignments. This is largely the reason why my parents probably thought it would be best for me to start taking Adderall in high school. Initially, I loved Adderall; I was a little bit overweight but I quickly lost weight because of appetite suppression, and it allowed me to focus on my work with a level of attention that I never even knew I was capable of maintaining. Before long however, I became dependent on it. It started with a few term papers that I had procrastinated on until the last night, and I would take Adderall to force myself to stay awake. I was amazed by the effects of Adderall, and for a while was under the impression that as long as I was on adderall, I could achieve anything. See, that's the main issue with this drug- before you know it, you could find yourself needing adderall to perform any task that requires effort. Uncomfortable with this realization, I stopped taking adderall. For the first year, my grades plummeted, I gained weight, and I became hooked on cigarettes, stupidly thinking that I could substitute amphetamine salts with nicotine. After this year of abstinence however, I found myself becoming a more level headed person overall, with the ability to focus without a substance, which is truly a godsend. No more chewing on the inside of my cheek, no more heart palpitations, no more appetite suppression, and no more mood swings.
  17. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I have found in recent years that medication is very quick to give out for simple little things that have other solutions. Teachers often do not have the patience to teach kids that just simply lack discipline and it is easy to suggest that they have Add and that they need to be calmed down and medicated. It is the wrong way to think. Giving medication to anyone without trying to solve the problem through parenting or teaching skills first is aa lazy way to or an easy way out of being responsible.
  18. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

I agree Tasha that teachers do not know how to address ADHD learners, and often get so frustrated they don't even want to try. But at the same time there are not a lot of suggestions out there for teachers on how to address the ADHD's learners needs. If there was more research out there on this on positive strategies for teachers and students, then maybe some coping skills could be learned that would lessen the need for medications.

Unfortunately though I think medication will always be looked to as an easy way out, or even a wanted and desirable thing in order to unfairly help a college student with their grades.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Whenever it comes to something like Adderall, I do believe that doctors prescribe medications a little too liberally. I have known of plenty of people falsely diagnosed with ADD and ADHD and they just get pills thrown at them.
  20. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Most doctors around here don't even take time to properly diagnose; they just prescribe and ship you out of the door. It's really nice to meet a family physician who cares, or a doctor who will pull you aside to discuss individual treatment programs. These are the doctors you want.

Not these two-bit phonies we're talking about in this thread. Legit Doctors.