An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think doctors too freely prescribe Adderall?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Janie, Jan 16, 2015.

1. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I have to agree with blur29, the diagnosis of ADD/ADHD is given too easily and too loosely! This then leads to the drug being given out too easily as well. I know a friend who has a 9 year old son, the boy is super slow that at times he really does need a little more urging on. He also can't seem to concentrate much on anything for a considerate amount of time and is also hyperactive! Before proper analysis and check ups the teachers at his school going off his 'symptoms' diagnosed him with ADHD... I found that really unbecoming especially if there was no medical profession there to confirm their claims. People just assume these days!
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It's just because doctors don't want to deal with you anymore and they just shove random prescription X at random problem Y and expect everything to solve itself. What shocks me is they're shocked about it, like it didn't work? Gee, maybe you should have actually taken the time to properly diagnose them? Hmmmm.....
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Considering stuff like cocaine started out as a common remedy for sick people, I would not be surprised that in every generation, we find "efficient" stuff to ease our troubles and we start out by trusting it BECAUSE doctors rely on it so much... Only to later realize how dangerous it can be. But the problem would need to grow first... I mean, some doctors still use heroin for patients with extreme pain because it IS effective. It's just that now, it is not seen as a cure so much as a poison anymore.
  4. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

honestly yes, I feel like doctors are a bit too free with adderall especially in my area. All you have to do to get it around here is look up some symptoms and go to urgent care and tell them your 'problems' - and they will right you a script - it's commonly abused in my area.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Compassion fatigue is commonplace in many hospitals. So it's not surprising that a number of doctors (and not just those who freely prescribe Adderall) prescribe medicine as part of their routine, without giving much thought about it. For these types of doctors, everything's just routinary. They would do well to be more attentive to their patients - especially recovering ex-substance abusers. There's already a slew of medical malpractices and negligence due to too much compassion fatigue.
  6. tangiblesalt

tangiblesalt Member

Definately, after one session he decided I have ADD and handed me a prescription. I mean, I could have lied about everything and gotten the drugs. The thing is I noticed that the company that makes adderall had given the doctor gifts and it's common for them to give these gifts and then he would give speeches for them so it seems to have all been a big mess to push drugs on people who don't really need them.
  7. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

You shouldn't generalize doctors the same way that people generalize the police. It shouldn't be doctors in general, it should be your specific doctor.
  8. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

I think it's an easy drug to sell and seeing as it's not an illegal drug and makes it that much more easy for them to put it on the to the market see a lot of times when we think about the war on drugs we don't think about legal drugs as being something that's a part of that but it truly is.
  9. Kteabc

Kteabc Member

In my state (Florida) they are really cracking down on over prescribing and prescriptions of any narcotic at all. But over all I personally feel like ADD/ADHD is the doctors go to diagnosis for most behavioral issues in adolescents. The abuse with any narcotic causes problems for the people go really need it. A friend with narcolepsy was prescribed it and it made her life so much better. She did only take it as prescribed though.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, nobody truly cares about what you will do with adderall, as they will benefit them more if they don't ask any unnecessary questions. I've recently seen my friends who take many drugs on a daily or weekly basis, by simply responding to the doctor prescribing adderall "I can't focus, therefore can't study properly." Seeing the above comments, I reckon it's the same situation for everyone else. It's a bit shameful, in my opinion.
  11. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Yes I do think doctors prescribe too much of most medications! My brother was suffering from COPD, and for some inexplicable reason, his quack doctor prescribed Adderall! He was allergic to it and it almost killed him. We threw it away and changed doctors! I don't understand this unholy alliance that some doctors have with dangerous drugs. There has to be a profit in it somewhere!
  12. Shimus

I don't think there's profit so much as some more of the doctors these days don't care about their ethical procedural processes. OR if they do, they just prescribe what they have known to be tried and tested, even if it's handed out too frequently - the problem is their ability to want to ship people out of their offices without proper diagnosis. I don't think there's a 'profit' but like the aforementioned bit, it's more like apathy.
  13. Pafpartner

Pafpartner Member

More and more people are choosing to take prescription drugs recreationally. They believe they're safer than "street" drugs because they are doctor prescribed. These medications are legally prescribed to help patients deal with issues such as chronic or severe pain, balance emotional or behavior issues, manage sleep disorders and obesity. If these medications are abused, a severe dependence can form. As with street drugs, the long-term consequences of prescription drug abuse can be very dangerous to your health. :cool:
  14. Shimus

A drug is a drug. Doesn't matter if it's street or regulated by a council of people, it doesn't change the fact that it is a drug. And yes, they happen to do this too frequently so all of those "regulated drugs" make it to the street and flood it. And then we end up with problems like this.

and people who get addicted because they are readily available.
  15. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Usually doctors are pretty easy to prescribe anything, especially if you give them a tip, you can get off the doctor with almost any pain killer you want/need. Sadly this has become a business for a few doctors nowadays, they are making addicts out of people just so they would tip them again and again to get the drug recipe.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was given Ritalin as a little girl, because of my ADHD, I was told I behaved like a zombie, lol. I honestly think most doctors are prescribing medications they sohouldn't. I mean, I was give spironolactone to help me with what others would consider a small cosmetic issue (But I don't at all).

The doctor forgot to tell me spiro has tumors as side effect. Glad I didn't use it, specially those meds, because once you start you become a slave... same with drugs like Rogaine. Doctors aren't careful enough, they don't even seem to care.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Spot on! I've read complete horror stories involving that kind of doctors here and in other forums, they seemed to be a work of fiction, but I know most of them must be true. It scares me to think there are doctors out there willing to do such a thing. I dreamed to go to med school, because I wanted to help people like me... who had already seen other doctors, but had found no answers... But when I read this kind of stories I feel awful! Why become a doctor if you just want to make an easy buck by damaging someone so badly??? I can't get it.
  18. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

Some doctors don't see when people really need meds for add and adhd and trust me when a person has been on it and then has to change doctors because of insurance and the new doctor won't give it them.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It is over prescribed. I don't buy this ADHD stuff. I think it is induced through chemicals in food and the EMF waves of cellphones. We swim in electro magnetic frequencies today. Gluten in foods also adds to to it the problem.
    Adderall stimulates the nervous system; which I don't get why you would want to give that to someone who can't pay attention. It is also an a sexual stimulant. Parents are asleep if they don't catch that part of it. It's like the industry wants to encourage prescription drugs for kids that will seriously cause problems. They already have overactive sex drives in their teens. Let's add to it?
    You have to look at the diet first before you go popping pills.
  20. Shimus

It's still widely prescribed around here. It's almost due entirely to living in a college town too. I just see kids rolling around with extra energy and it's obvious to tell that doctors just shove it in their faces and send them out the door.