An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think electronic cigarettes are a viable stop smoking method?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Eashow10, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

To be honest, I have never seen someone addicted to e-cigs without nicotine. It was just the habit of inhaling smoke or some sort from something. Just like cigarettes: you are not actually addicted to them, but to the nicotine inside. The electronic ones look awesome, and I really like the amount of vapor you can blow out. I also had one, but sold it, and now regret doing so.
  2. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

It is definitely is better than smoking a normal cigar but even this, when goes out of hand is harmful. It should be monitored very carefully that the person who is introduced to this method doesn't get addicted to it since the purpose of using this is to stop the addiction once and for all.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

4. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I tried the e-cigs and I am not a fan of them. I just couldn't really get into them. My mother in law, husband and stepfather all swear by them.
    I think that there are ones with nicotine and one's with just water vapour, no nicotine. I can see how it would be helpful to switch, but if your using the ones with nicotine you are still addicted.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that it was just replacing an addiction with another kind of addiction. I have read somewhere that e-cigarettes have harmful chemicals so I think both are not healthy. Better to totally quit smoking than smoke something else.
  6. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

A lot of my friends and smokers whom I've chatted to use electronic cigarettes, also known as "vaping", to quit smoking. I was skeptical of it at first, since it still had nicotine and looked like it was replacing the habit, but many people who try this route have some success with it. Oddly enough, vaping has seen better results than using nicotine gum or patches (which many still smoke cigarettes while using). It could possibly just replace cigarettes as another bad habit, but I see it as a decent recovery option.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think it's a viable alternative in some respects as I've known a few people that dint but cigarettes anymore and just use these instead.

They're cheaper, and healthier so while that's a good thing, I'm not sure if they help with the actual physical addiction of smoking, because at the end of the day, they've now become addicted to these instead now.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I guess those who continue to vape nicotine-free juice have chosen a lesser evil, but that doesn't make it any right. Mostly because that juice is made with some chemicals that are not good for people at all, one of them derivatives from Formaldehyde... so not good, but smoking your regular cigarette is much worse.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well it is not a safe substitute for smoking, but at least you are not burning holes in your clothing or forcing someone to inhale second hand smoke. I do actually know someone who was able to stop smoking entirely by using vape devices. It is just something different if all. I think vaping is not a panacea, but it is probably better than smoking cigarettes.
  10. I've tried it and just didn't care enough for them to switch. Plus that vape crowd just doesn't reflect my style. Luckily, I'm down to 2 Black and Milds a day compared to a pack of Newports a day.

I guess it a viable smoking method compared to what's out there. But it's like apples and oranges... most vape smokers are former smokings trying to kick the habit for good or smokers who were never really smokers in the first place. So it's viable for that..

But it's harder for it to appeal to a current pack a day smoker. Seems like they're better off getting on the patch.
  11. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

I will be the first to tell you that I replaced cigarettes with vaping instead, so yes, I replaced one habit for another. You can, however, get lower doses of nicotine to help kick it all together. It's a healthier option, to a degree, but of course not a safe alternative. It has helped me though, and I have gone from 24mg to 12, and am working on dropping to 6 here in the next week or so. I have friends who used to drain an entire tank on 24mg of nicotine and are now vaping 0 mg, only because it's a habit and comfort thing at this point. The money I have saved already though is astronomical. Makes me angry to think that I spent that much a month and didn't think twice about it!
  12. rjs5248

rjs5248 Member

There are a lot of nasty chemicals in e-cigs, including formeldehyde which is used in paint thinners. There is also a decent amount of nicotine in them, which does not make it a very adequate substitute for people trying to quite. I think if you are trying to quite smoking you are just making it harder for yourself by moving to an e cig instead.
  13. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

How many have you heard they would still vape without nicotine? I mean how many of them got to that level of vaping without nicotine, as for me, e-cigarettes simply seems as replacing an addiction with another. Anyway it is definitely a viable way to quit smoking, it is also a lot healthier and so far it is cheaper.
  14. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It is a viable solution to getting off cigarettes. The problem is you may get addicted to vaping. Vaping just provides the nicotine in a different vessel. That said, vaping is far healthier than traditional cigarettes.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Until some kind of regulation is introduced for e-cigarettes then they cannot be considered to be a safer option. In fact, the evidence so far shows that they are a more dangerous option. All sorts of things have been reported about them from them blowing up in people's faces and even on to spilling hot nicotine down people's necks resulting in holes being burned into their lungs. That, to me, is not a safer alternative. Also, it reinforces the habit of smoking rather than breaking it. You can still get nicotine from patches or gum so why would e-cigs be necessary unless they are supporting the actual habit and not fighting the actual addiction?
  16. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

In the U.S., e-cigarettes will now be regulated by the FDA. You can learn more in the story below.

F.D.A. Imposes Rules for E-Cigarettes in a Landmark Move