An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Think Marijuana Will Be Legalized At A Federal Level?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by LoveEcho, Jan 18, 2016.

1. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Marijuana is already legal for recreational use in a few states, it's legal for medicinal use in even more and CBD oil is legal in most states. So, do you think it will become legal at federal level anytime soon?
  2. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I cannot see it being legalized at the federal level anytime soon. I am not really sure though, because things do seem to be moving a little faster with the whole movement. I just feel like it will largely remain a state issue until something drastic happens, which I am not sure what it will be. I guess we will have to wait and see though.
  3. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Yeah, I think you're right. I really don't see it being legal for recreational use, but I do see it becoming legal for medicinal use... Or CBD oil, at least.
  4. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Point of accuracy if I may, so long as it is not legal at a federal level, it is not legal at any level regardless of what a state or local government chooses to do. It is an election year, anything can happen. A change in office could very easily bring federal enforcement of the law.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I really can't say it could go either way. Depending on if someone purposes to make it legal or not. Most states have made it legal but as long as there's no federal enforcement against that they'll be safe. There are some candidates running for president who are against the legalization of marijuana and some who aren't. It really depends on who ends up in office next.
  6. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

There are international treaties at the national level that countries have to abide by. One of these is the general prohibition on certain drugs being made legal. Because of this it would be difficult if not impossible for the US to legalize marijuana at the federal level. Obviously, this can be gotten around by enacted liberalizing state laws, and I imagine this status quo will continue for a while.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It won't be long before medical marijuana is legalized at a Federal level. Clinton says she supports loosening restrictions on marijuana [which implies she doesn't mind the legalization of recreational use of marijuana] and Sanders also wants marijuana legalized. Should Democrats win the election then we should expect marijuana to be legalized at Federal level and recreational use will be decriminalized.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

This will be a hard choice as the governments will only probably legalize it if they will benefit in some way like getting tax from people and also many people many not want to pay the tax and could use it from an illegal source, and not think of the consequences which will be good for bad depending on what people need the marijuana for. It is going to be a long battle and there will be some who will oppose it being legal as the reports need to be positve and also I wonder how the marijuana will be regulated so that people don't get overdosed and addicted to it which can happen if not careful. I reckon one day we will see this being legal but not fully in some areas and if it is for a medical purpose then it is a good thing and won't be wrong to use it.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I don't know how soon but when gay marriage was legalized at the federal level, it gave me the idea that marijuana may follow suit. The difference is that while gay marriage doesn't really hurt anyone's health unless you're an interfering sort, marijuana can affect people's health negatively without proper regulation.
  10. littlemouse

littlemouse Member

I think marijuana will eventually become legal on a federal level. There is an enormous amount of tax revenue being created from legal states, it would be silly not to legalize it from a political standpoint. There would have to be regulations, but I'm sure it will be on the same level as alcohol. The one regulation that might prove to be tricky is testing for a DUI. There's not really an accurate way to measure how much marijuana someone has consumed in the same way you could test for alcohol. Regardless, there is a lot of potential revenue in the industry and who knows? Maybe it would boost the economy.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

It probably will, but with my limited but growing knowledge I wish it won't.
  12. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I think given time it will become legal at a Federal level. Acceptance is gaining popularity, and not only in the US, but world wide. I know there is a big debate in regards to the legalization of marijuana, and there is a huge difference of opinion coming from different sectors. In a way in the end it doesn't even matter if it's legalized or not, because people will always find a way to get access to it. It was labeled as illegal in the US around the 1940's and did you see people stopping the use of it? Nope, if anything people did it more. This applies to other drugs as well. Just how the saying goes "where there is a will, there is a way". It doesn't matter how many prohibitions, or laws your put in place. When a person wants something they'll go through whatever lengths needed to get it.
  13. melody

melody Active Contributor

I think it may come to a point where the Federal Government leaves the decision to legalize marijuana to states. I think each state will take its position, with most making to move to Legalization eventually. The rest will have some type of prohibition, which is not unusual. As the marijuana industry takes its place within commerce, more states will want to join the model.
  14. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Yeah, the more politicians get in and open...dispensaries, the more resistance will the marijuana movement meet. At some point, people will perceive Marijuana just like the cigarettes.
  15. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I cannot say about the US policy for marijuana, however, Marijuana is illegal in my home country Nepal and I don't think there is any chance of being legal. Just about 50 years ago marijuana was legal, legally produced, sold and used, however, government under the pressure of UN government banned marijuana.
  16. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't think it will get to that point. The legalization of marijuana could gain more ground but I don't think that it will for recreational use.
  17. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I think with the changing of President, that this will become legal federally. I can not see how each state still have more authority to make its own laws such as one is legal and one is not. We are the "Untied States" not the divided states. Even if they make this federally legal, there are going to be states that refuse to legalize it individually. And then it causes a whole other set of legal problems and confusion. Can we not all just do things as a whole?
    melody likes this.
  18. melody

melody Active Contributor

@thash1979 you may be right. It really depends on who the elected representative is. The republicans have said a lot of things, but if you do deep research, more republicans are in favor of letting the states decide. Democrates, however, seem to be leaving more towards making medical marijuana legal on a federal level, but are less in favor of recreational use.
  19. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I really think that if they do the research of how well Colorado has done with taxing it and putting the money back into the state's schools and cities, everyone would be onboard. If my state legalized it and taxed it, we would have a better infrastructure for our economy. Not to mention all the money that could be put back into our school systems to teach what will be our future presidents, business owners and inventors!
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Good question. Well, it's not exactly approved for recreational in other states, but in a sense it is. Lol It is approved for medicinal reasons really. Whatever the person and their doctor comes up with. It's pretty ridiculous. People just come up with something and go to a mary j doctor to get the card. Depression or whatever the reason. It's kind of a joke.
    A federal level. Well there is a really big reason why it is not legal on a federal level, so no, I don't think it will be legal that way. They made it legal on certain state levels and not legal federally so the feds can be able to take control if they need to. Like a dispensary or a grower who is not following regulations or something like this. Feds can go it and close them down or arrest. So at the moment it is illegal federally. Maybe the only way it "may" become legal federally would be if every single US state was legal and they were able to keep control of it. I don't know. I think they will keep it against federal law though to maintain some kind of upper hand. These states that have it, it is kind of an experiment for the government to allow this really so. California's a joke though because the cops allowed marijuana way before they allowed this. People smoke pot there more, way more than cigarettes. I don't think I ever saw anyone with cigarettes there.