An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think most of the people who hold signs up for financial help are struggling with addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by frogsandlegos, Apr 10, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

One can lose their job because of their addiction and one can also start smoking and drinking because they have lost their job. Being homeless, one can resolve to drinking or smoking because they think that is the only way they can stay stress free. If we realise that happens then we have to stop helping those with that behaviour.
  2. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

True, volunteering at charities and such is a pretty foolproof way of doing so.
    bluedressed likes this.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

There is a big part of them who spend their money on alcohol or cigarettes. I was thinking about this once after I gave some of my money to a beggar. But I gave over, as it's their business what they are doing with their savings. As long as it makes them happy and improves their condition, it's helpful. Many of them drink in order to stand the cold weather, or to forget about their problems. I just leave them be.
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Yup. Also, it usually gives people contact to those people (unless working in the back and never seeing anybody), so it can also help getting a more precise picture of what is going on in their life instead of just assuming the worst (or the best).

Also, people, socks!! Can you imagine spending the winter with bad socks that get wet and cold?? It's terrible! A nice pair of warm socks can make a lot of difference!
  5. bluedressed

Some people who used to be homeless said that cigarettes helped them not feel the pangs of hunger so they liked that. Others said that they just wanted a way to escape from their day-to-day reality using drugs or alcohols. And some of them just don't know how to stop. And mental problems. It's a mess. But you have a good attitude there :)
  6. HalfBeard

This! I've actually read socks are the most needed and least given article of clothing!
  7. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

That's true, this has become an art and we now don't know exactly what to do when we see someone in need. Are they for real or just trying to scam us?
  8. bluedressed

Yeah, I think part of that is that people just don't think to give socks to begin with (just like they don't necessarily think to give female hygiene products when giving to charities and stuff) -- and the fact that I think a lot of places (if not all) don't take already used socks, even if they're washed and clean and in good state. But I've heard people saying 'Then we just give them to people direct on the street without a middleman" and that's that.

But yeah, sometimes we are so conditioned with the "cultural" image of charity and then we end up replicating the gestures -- volunteering on holidays, giving our old cans of foods, spring cleaning and giving away the shirts we don't use anymore. And not thinking to check out what is needed more -- volunteers on the other days of the year, for example, and socks, and probably baby items and such. So it's good when people talk about it and think about what they can try different!
  9. HalfBeard

It a terribly sad spectacle that charity is prey to fraud.
  10. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

We have this happening in all areas of society, that is why we should help those who are really in need and not those who pretend to be, even if sometimes it's hard to make a difference.