An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Think My Friend Is Going Back To Her Old Ways?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sonia11, Jul 27, 2015.

1. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I have a friend who began drinking pretty young, and became an alcoholic by the age of 20. She went through rehab for it, and stayed completely sober for about 7 months. At one point somebody on Facebook made a joke about her drinking again, and she got really angry and went off about people joking about her sobriety and how it was such a messed up thing to do. Within a few weeks after that, she was drinking beer. Then she started drinking hard liquor again. She just had her 21st birthday, and bragged about how falling down drunk she got. Basically, when does it stop being that she's in control of her drinking and start being that she's an alcoholic again? Because it's my understanding that most alcoholics can't go back and start "drinking occasionally" again, or they end up sliding down the same slippery slope.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Yes she is definitely relapsing and going back to her old ways. It is only a matter of time before she is back to where is was and maybe even worse of this time. It is sad that she started over again after being sober for 7 months. Somebody once told me. "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." You can't to back to drinking occasionally. You have to give it up all together. One drinks just leads to another and before long you are back to where you started. I hope she realizes what she is doing to herself before it is too late.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Like L_B pointed out well, she's going back to her old habits, unmistakably. Try to be around and advice her on how much time she spent without drinking anything, and how much of a shame it is to lose that much time for nothing. Also, encourage her not to listen that much to others' words... it's counterproductive. I hope everything goes alright!
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

It is my understanding that once you are an alcoholic you are always one. I have family members who never took another drink because they knew once they took one drink, the cycle would begin again. I had an aunt who stopped drinking for about a month. She did what your friend is doing. First she started small and then it escalated to her drinking every day. I hope she gets the necessary help and I hope she wants it because the end effects can be disastrous.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

I know people who've done it. I was also worried sick about these two friends of mine, but they managed to consume responsibly. Your friend is getting blackout drunk though. It sounds like relapse. Might wanna talk to her in a friendly and supportive manner. Make her feel that you are not judging, but simply concerned.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me, it's hard to say for definite one way or the other if they're relapsing or not, without knowing them personally.

A lot of people say that a recovering alcoholic can't touch alcohol ever again, but I know a few people that do. They've been at rock bottom due to alcohol, got help and become sober, but now manage to have a drink or two and know when to stop.

That takes a strong person to be able to do that, and a lot of people aren't able, your friend sound like they're on their way back to square one again, but until you know that for definite, I'd hold off from judging them.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'd say your friend is relapsing. But that's just my opinion. Addiction/alcoholism is never cured...just controlled. And it seems like your friend has lost control again. If you feel comfortable doing it, I would have a heart to heart talk with her, tell her how much you care about her, and encourage her to try again.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Big chance she is relapsing... I am a former alcoholic, I can still drink once a year during special occasions... but that's as far as it gets. I can't really drink more than that, mostly because I think since I got my gallbladder removed my body can't just handle alcohol the same way it did before... So there is no looking back for me really if I drink too much i feel terrible and I don't want to happen ever again...
  9. lalacrazy

lalacrazy Member

It most definitely sounds like she is relapsing. I agree with the poster above me about losing control. The fact that she is talking about how falling drunk she got is just confirmation that she has lost her control over her sobriety and alcohol. Maybe some alcoholics can control their drinking but there wasn't enough time here for her to gain that control and maturity over the situation.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

All it takes is one sip and she will go back into relapse. If she is not put into check soon, you will see going back to her old ways again. Addiction is a constant battle. There is no such thing as a little flirt with danger. That opens up avenues and recipes for disasters.
  11. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies. At this point I don't know how much talking to her will help, she's pretty defensive and still claims she's in control and just drinks socially. I'm going to try to help if I can, since I know a lot of people in our social group are not talking to her anymore, they're disgusted by her backsliding like this.