An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think people are too quick to judge drug addicts/alcoholics,.....?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by notaroundfesta, Jun 21, 2015.

1. When they themselves eat fast food? or emotionally eat to fill the same void drug addicts/alcoholics try to fill? Not to mention all the other addictions people may have that could harm the body.

I mean seriously, someone who eats processed food or take out food for every meal, is basically destroying their bodies just as much as someone who polishes off a 12 pack and a fifth of whiskey everyday. What's the difference?
    Rosyrain likes this.
  2. j1ckh441

j1ckh441 Member

I have to agree with your point here. There is no difference! Someone who eats unhealthily is the same as someone who abuses drugs. I do think that many people are very unfair to drug addicts. They should look at the wider picture, and look at why the person is doing it, rather than what the person is doing. I think the main reason that people do this is because people are taught to hate drug users, but it shouldn't be taught that way.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Well, while eating junk food is bad for your body, I don't know anyone who has committed a felony to acquire a cheese burger or a doughnut. Not to mention if I eat potato chips and then drive I won't kill anyone. Now do you see the difference?
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Yes, hell my whole family is like that and I don't even smoke marijuana anymore, just today I was told to 'not smoke pot, again' to be honest I don't think I have the desire anymore but if I had I like to think I would be on my way to find a dealer, I have friends who smoke and they have jobs and whatnot. I don't blame my mother tho, because of the way she was raised is only natural that she's judgmental about it, If I were her I too would be judgmental. So yeah I think WE people are too quick to judge anyone at all, starting with oneself. After all, all judgment is self-judgment. Call me crazy but I think that what lies behind judgment is nothing but envy.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

People are too quick to judge period. We lack the compassion and empathy it takes to deal with people whom we deem unworthy when everyone regardless of circumstance is worthy of our compassion and empathy. I try to look at the psychology behind someones problems or the situation that may have brought them to their current circumstance. I believe that people are genetically predisposed to addictive behavior. I have a coworker who heavily used a drug said to be highly addictive and never became addicted. She would use it intentionally trying to make herself addicted but never had the rabid urge to have it. I thought she was crazy for even trying, but she had her reasons. A cousin she was close to was an addicted and she was trying to empathize. To me that was not the way to go, but to each there own.
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

First off, NOBODY should just ANYONE else unless they're perfect and/or God. If you aren't one or the other, you don't need to point fingers, cast stones, etc.

I see where you're coming from in some ways. Harm is harm no matter how it comes. But the problem here is while yes, fast food DOES do harm, it's not illegal like drugs. And it doesn't cause you to potentially harm others like alcohol.

So while you do have SOMEWHAT of a point, there is the greater damage issue that you missed.
  7. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

This is where I think I differ from a lot of people. When I realized this about myself, I became anorexic. I try not to do things just for the sake of pleasure. Even answering questions on this site is not for my enjoyment. I'm really just here to expand my knowledge on theology and challenge my own beliefs.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think in one way or another everybody is guilty of judging others, even when we don't mean to. Where drug users are concerned, it's easy to look at them in a different way, especially when people don't understand anything about their situation that they're going through.
  9. panda

panda Member

I agree. People often see drug addicts as less that human. They don't seem to understand that humans make mistakes.
    What really bothers me is when people who are trying their hardest to get better are looked down on. How can they be so nasty when they have no idea what that person is going through.
  10. NicCris

NicCris Member

Drug addicts have a lot in common with other marginalised groups, such as sex workers, people with disabilities and asylum seekers in that many people have never met them and know very little about the realities of their lives. Where there is a void of factual information, stigma and prejudice often rush in to fill the space. Many drug users are able human beings who, with the right support, can make a contribution to society. Treatment can help problematic drug users but without kindness, support, empathy and an absence of judgmentalism it will fail many.
  11. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

Yes, we all judge to quickly. NicCris you said it with your last sentence. We have to show any addict no matter if it's drugs, alcohol, binge eating, or sex, etc... there are genuine people who do care and are out there to help them to overcome.

When we are pointing a finger at someone for something they did, there are always 3 pointing right back at ourselves.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

While all addictions can be seen as bad, there are some that can also be harmful to others, and those are the ones that are looked down upon the most. I have a serious caffeine addiction, but I am only doing harm to myself. Those with food addictions run the risk of becoming obese, but that is more of self destruction. Some people who drink excessively run the risk of killing others on the road, hurting others, and even making harmful decisions because they are not thinking with a level head. The same can be said for those with drug addictions.
  13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

All kind of abuse leads to same ending; having one's health deteriorated one way or another.

Addiction to one or another has not necessarily to be the same, not even has to be addiction but a personal choice to eat food that is junk or low in nutriments.

By the end of the road, be engaged in whatever is not healthy makes the body pay the price for it. Now when it comes to judge, who's free of sin, cast the first stone.

Nobody should judge others without seeing first what they are doing even if in any other context.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I do see the difference and couldn't agree with you more. Further, if we are not judging, I say we not judge the addict, nor do we judge the person who eats processed food every day. Who are we to be judging anyone? I say we help who we can, whenever we can no matter what 'addiction' they might be dealing with.
  15. juno

juno Community Champion

It really depends on the type of person you are. Unfortunately, people tend to prejudge addicts. It is mainly based on the fact that drugs can take control of your mind and lead you to do things that are dangerous. While food can control your life to a certain extent, particularly if you have an eating disorder, the only harm you can really do is to yourself and to those who care for you. Rarely will you break the law because of your eating disorder. Drug users on the other hand can get out of control and create chaos for themselves and others.
  16. xraycookie

xraycookie Member

I think some people are quick to judge people period. It doesn't matter what they put in their bodies, or if it's harmful or not. I've seen people commenting on fitness progress pictures posted on Facebook with stuff like "Get off the juice.", "Meathead", etc.
    And I'm not even going to mention choices like political affiliation or religion.
  17. MysticPizza

MysticPizza Member

They do get a bad rep. Mostly because of the only users we think we see every day are the ones sitting on the wall drinking there sorrows away, constantly asking to borrow money from us and shouting abuse at random people due to being so heavily sedated. What people don't see are the people in their homes fighting every day to get better, improve themself. The ones going to meetings wanting to make a better life. They dint know your back story, and you don't have to explain yourself to every single person you meet. Its sad but we are too quick to judge.
  18. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's impossible to make an accurate comparison between two or more different addictions.

And in passing I'll have to note that some addictions like caffeine addiction aren't inherently bad . . . or good.

No one is perfect. While drugs are the weak point of drug addicts, everyone has something in their life which they aren't or shouldn't be proud of. So since we all aren't perfect no one should be judging another and that's the reason why no one should be judging drug addicts.

By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are — Dietrich Bonhoeffer