An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think some people think they become smarter, while on cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by pineywood, Apr 10, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I have heard people say, cocaine triggers and stimulates brain cells causing them to be smarter when high. I find this hard to believe. I think, they are killing brain cells. Anyone ever hear someone tell you this, or do you personally think cocaine makes you smarter? If so, what was their or your reasoning?
    Carmilla likes this.
  2. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Honestly, I have never used cocaine, nor have I had someone close to me use cocaine. So, take my advice with a grain of salt!

It is possible that there are TEMPORARILY smarter, but the long-term damage is NOT worth it for a few minutes of being "smarter". It might give them more energy, but in the long run they are hurting themselves.
    pineywood likes this.
  3. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, maybe not smarter, but, as you know, it gives you a real boost, so it makes you sharp. I think the closest feeling I can think of, but not the same in any way, is when you've had too many energy drinks. It makes you very, very alert, so you or other people think you're smarter, when in reality it just does the same thing nitro does to a car.
    pineywood likes this.
  4. pineywood

Aha, sharper. Interesting way to explain. I never thought even appeared smarter. People have just told me this. I can not really relate to energy drink, as I have never drank one. Not sure why, it just does not appeal to me. I always thought, people who take energy drinks get jittery and cranky. Good analogy about the car and nitro, but we all knows what happens when you put bad gas in the car. Trouble and complications follow.
    henry likes this.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

In my extensive experience with cocaine, I found it makes me feel sharper, but whether it made me appear that way to others is a matter for debate! I really don't think it makes people smarter though. More arrogant and self-assured, certainly, but not smarter.
    pineywood and Zyni like this.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's like drinking coffee in the morning before you start your day. You need to wake up and get the gears moving. What coffee does to us, cocaine does for them. They're not getting smarter. Just sharper from the drugs.
    pineywood likes this.
  7. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

So much this. It's kind of like when people call alcohol "liquid courage." It may or may not give a temporary boost, but it's not worth it to be dependent on it.

Some people do swear that drugs make them more creative temporarily, but even if that's true, it's just not worth all the other things that come along with it.
    pineywood likes this.
  8. zombie4412

zombie4412 Member

In my opinion, no. This is from personal experience. I couldn't focus on anything except getting more. It may appear to those using it that they are "smarter" or doing things more efficiently, but they do not.
    pineywood likes this.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is my first time to read something like this and I do not think it is true. Maybe it was just like making the person more alert and therefore can make one think faster but not smarter. Although not sure about it since I have not tried it.
    stariie and pineywood like this.
  10. pineywood

Exactly! They certainly did not appear or act any smarter, but sure did express their higher intelligence all the time. So much so, it was almost irritating. I would be thinking to myself, if you were really that smart, you could be that smart without having to take or use a drug to make you that smart. Also, good point about the difference between being sharper and smarter.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't really know if it can make you smarter, maybe just a little bit arrogant mistaken for being smart. Same with drunk people, they feel so sharp when they have consumed too much alcohol. My professor told our class once that when she was still in college, she would drink alcohol before attending her subjects so that she could reason out with her teachers well. She said alcohol can somehow boost your confidence. :D
    pineywood likes this.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Boy, are you right about putting bad gas in the car. I think that maybe people who over-analyze the effects of drugs have never done any. I too never felt smarter, stronger or god-like, I just felt really, really good. I loved it when it made my nostrils and throat numb, and smoking a cigarette and having a drink after snorting a couple of lines felt like heaven to me. That's what I liked about coke. Now, if we were talking about weed, I don't know if it made me smarter, but I do know it made me think about a lot of crazy stuff that sometimes felt like revelations to me.
    pineywood likes this.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I, reckon that some people can believe that it makes them more intelligent and also it can be hard to give this up for some people as they believe without it they can't live without it. The brain, can be affected by the excess use and also the choices made can be good or bad and can make someone believe they have energy and can think more as well. Using this to make you smart will affect the person as the costs to buy it and also, only think about getting this and also can face problems as well and think this drug is what is needed to survive.
    pineywood likes this.
  14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Drugs make people think all kinds of things, and if you think for one second that coke makes people smarter you should get yourself checked out. Meth might someone think they can fly, but I guarantee you that they can't.
    Zyni and pineywood like this.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think any substance used moderately will increase people brain and how they think, at the end of the day that's probably one of the reasons why people get addicted in the first place.

The problem comes when people start to abuse a substance and dont know how to stop or even worse can't.

I think to enhance creativity, cocaine isn't the first drug that springs to mind though.

How creative can others be when on cocaine? Are you able to control your addiction or is it in control of you?
    pineywood likes this.
  16. pineywood

I tend to believe that it does not matter, if any substance in moderation will increase brain power or not, without a prescription and medical supervision, it is not worth the risk. Nor do I think, you can control your addiction. I think you are right, when you ask the question, who is in control, you or the drug! Good observation.
  17. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

It's very harmful for our brain cells.
    In these days people thinks that cocaine becomes us very smart.
    Mostly people takes cocaine as fashion able in society.
    pineywood likes this.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I can't say that I have used cocaine either, so it's not like I have first hand experience to rely on here.
    I don't know how any drug can make you 'smarter' as such. Free of inhibitions, yes, which perhaps allows more creativity or opens up areas of the brain that when clean you may not necessarily feel comfortable expressing. But I don't know about smarter. I guess like many things in life it's a subjective thing, and would depend on the individual. Personally though, I have no desire to try it, even if it was guaranteed to make me a genius.
    pineywood likes this.
  19. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I agree with a lot of what is being said, that coke can make a person feel more alert, and therefore they are more mentally tuned in.
    Years ago, it was said that coke was an important ingredient in coca cola and was one of the secrets to how it energized a person. "They" say it has been many years since "coke" was used in coke.

I think that any drug is going to have some type of affect on a person, otherwise, they wouldn't use it. I've had a tiny bit of coke on a few separate occasions, but each time was on accident, so I didn't have enough to find out what kind of affect/effect it had on me.
    I've been around people who were on coke, and they seemed very "on", eyes wide, very alert, very awake.
    It's not good in the long term though, and can make a person reckless, so it actually makes one dumber, in my opinion.
    pineywood likes this.
  20. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Heroin. Cocaine. Prescription pain-killers. Drug-induced coffee and Coke (only milder? ;)) -- another proverbial "elephant in the room" that needs to be seen and addressed. And smartly, get ourselves in control of.

Drugging of America and of the world is something people need to be educated about: and do something about it.

If we are not users of these brain-damaging formulas, we can warn our dear friends and loved ones, with skin-on-with-truth--- being there for them as accountability partners to recovery.
    pineywood likes this.