An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think stress can be a factor when it comes to smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JadeVengeance, May 4, 2015.

1. mercshe

mercshe Member

Definitely dear, It's normal and the same goes with me. When I was still in college, I smoke to release the tensions from exams, activities, student's workload and the like. It's comforting somehow, but once you get addicted to it, you'll feel more stress than when you haven't had the experience. It helps to temporarily deal with stress and anxiety, yes it does, like when your craving for sweets are satisfied. However, in the long term, it will no longer be beneficial.
    Jericho Mercado likes this.
  2. panda

panda Member

Stress plays a huge role. Everyday, after work if I don't smoke I feel irritable. I can't fall asleep without s light.
    It's because I'm so stressed out, I can't quit.
  3. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

Yes! Stress is huge with smoking. I know that when I worked retail a lot of my coworkers told me that they picked up smoking while working because of stress. I always want to smoke when I'm stressed. I think people see it as a good way to get away and take a break.
  4. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

Smoking becomes a crutch to deal with stress and taxes on our emotions. Financial situation, personal life, job, just life's demands everyday can make a person freak out if overwhelmed. For smokers, smoking "checks" these stressors and helps them deal with life better.
  5. colistin

colistin Member

I recently read an article about how stress isn't as unhealthy as people have previously thought. It said the people who were stressed out, in jobs that required a lot of input or that are so fast paced that they couldn't keep up, but who did not let it bother them, were actually the ones that would go on to live the longest. Of course this is not easily tested and should be taken with a pinch of salt, but there is sound logic in that. If you lead a dull life and do nothing, you will likely be depressed by the end of it, which will decrease your life span. If you do too much you may be stressed out and die from high blood pressure. So balance is the key. Smoking helps me balance my workload stress, but it is slowly ripping apart my insides. So I need to find an alternative for sure but that's not to say that the rest of the non-smoking community doesn't need the same. As soon as you feel tight from stress, don't reach for a cigarette, count from 1-10 and concentrate on your breath. That works for me too.
  6. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

I think herein lies the difference between people who are addicts and just social smokers. If you smoke to feel normal the. You are most certainly addicted. I used to smoke because it used to quell this anxiety I had inside of me, it was only later that I realised that this anxious feeling needs to be addressed before trying to suffocate it with smoking. If you are stressedI suggest you get therapy... I think everyone should be equipped through school with a mental toolkit, it is the thing we need to use most throughout our life on this planet, and it's ridiculous that people don't get taught how to use it properly when we are little, and then this society wonders why people go nuts, and it's the crazy ones who need "fixing" by therapists... We should all find therapy, before it gets like that, no?
  7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I smoke as a stress reliever too. I don't think it's necessarily the cigarettes that make me feel better, but the five minutes to get away and the deep breathing smoking requires. I'm so addicted to cigarettes I know if I wanted stress relief I could just sit outside and take some deep breaths to feel better, but I still turn to them when I'm overwhelmed. It's quite a nasty habit.
  8. Bernie1

Bernie1 Member

Yes. Stress creates adrenaline which speeds up the heart rate, which in turn cause the blood flow through the body to increase. This means that the nicotine in your blood is circulated through your body much faster this ends up making you crave a cigarette faster than usual.
  9. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

For me smoking cigarettes is a relief to have under the pressure of society, so it's actually the reason why I smoke, just to cope with chronic stress, or whenever I'm angry, I smoke, and I let go of all the negativity and bad emotions in me.
  10. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I know stress played a large role in my smoking. I know that when I get stressed today, I still have issues about wanting to smoke. I think this is the only time that I have issues with craving a smoke. I do not miss spending the money on the cigarettes. I enjoy life a little more. I certainly feel a little healthier.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Whatever causes anxiety also causes stress. And, yes, we tend to smoke more when we're anxious or stressed. But that's normal with any addiction. If you didn't smoke, but were addicted to video games, you would play the hell out of your Playsation every time you got anxious.
  12. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Stress is definitely a huge contributor to addiction, and I don't think you would ever find anyone who argued otherwise. I do find that by keeping myself relatively stress free, I can improve my addiction symptoms quite a lot, so perhaps many people here could also improve their lives in this way. Exercise can help a lot, as can improving your diet and getting enough sleep. To put it simply, everything can add up in a big way to mean that the way you live can be improved, and you can lessen your addiction symptoms.
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that's normal! I used to smoke more in stressing situations, and i've know some people that smoke when they're stressed too. But instead of smoking you can consider chewing bubblegum, sometimes it works for me!
  14. srofltank

srofltank Member

Yes, and it is also one of the main factors that encourage people to begin smoking. Obviously there are a lot of different ways that allow you to overcome stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental illnesses, but smoking seems like a popular one for some people. In the end it only causes an addiction and causes more harm than good.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

Stress can be a cause to smoking. One thinks that he might be relieved after smoking only to end up not being satisfied. First, one needs to avoid whatever causes him to get stressed.
    That can also be as a result of being addicted to smoking. At that state, you may need to talk to someone who can help you get out of the stressful situation.