An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think that Adderall/Ritalin is prescribed too much to young children?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by johnstatler14, Jan 19, 2016.

1. johnstatler14

johnstatler14 Member

Here in the U.S., at least, every other teenage kid seems to have an Adderall prescription- myself included, in the past. Do you think this is a result of over-diagnosing of ADD/ADHD and other mental illnesses, or is it just doctors wanting to 'pump and dump' (prescribe and get to the next patient)?

Perhaps it's high school kids trying to get prescriptions?
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Today is rather hard to know what the reasons behind prescribing certain drugs are.

While medicine keep evolving at a fast pace, doctors and health authorities are going the same way but backwards.

It's incredible that with our modern technology and all the science and medical discovery and research, we are nowadays having more and more misdiagnosed, wrongly prescribed or over-diagnosed cases, without mention an increasing medical negligence that is truly worrisome and has cost many lives around the world, sadly.
  3. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I've said it many times: it's not about the doctors in a lot of cases. Many parents believe that giving Adderall to their children will improve their academic performances, this is why they're almost willing to go down on the doctors to prescribe this drug for the children.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think that this could be the case . This medicine has been around for along time and has had negative side effects. There are usually lots of natural and safe alternatives for this type of disorder. One of the main things I heard was that some kids have to much sugar in there diet and it makes them hyper active, that would make it hard to focus. I heard a doctor somewhere saying to used iced chamomile tea and it calms kids down to help them concentrate.
  5. tomservo

tomservo Member

Yes. I think these drugs are dangerous, addictive, and have consequences and side effects that are not fully understood. I was a teenager who took Adderall, and it changed me permanently. I know that for a fact. Do I wish it was never prescribed to me? Yes. I did not need it. It was pushed on and my family by a psychiatrist.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that it is shocking to see what happens when young people take these drugs as it can be addictive and also the mind can be affected in the process which will make the person not care about the ones around them and hope that young people understand the consequences which can be harmful for the people and the ones around them as well. I reckon that that modern medicine has good advancement in the modern world but the dosage is often high or the dose is higher than needed and also, many people can often be stressed out or even they are addicted to the drugs which is not a good thing. It is going to take time for people to understand how these drugs work and also many people may think it is a nice thing to enjoy these drugs which can be a good thing and don't realize what they are getting into in the process.
  7. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I don't know if its being over prescribed as much as maybe ADHD is being over diagnosed! 30 years ago when I was in school, I do not ever remember hearing of a student having ADHD or ADD. Nor were there these medications on everyone's plate. Not every child learns the same as the next. Teachers need to find ways to reiterate the curriculum that is being taught. Instead they refer these kids to a doctor due to a learning disability. In my daughters class, about 1 in 3 kids have ADHD. I think this is alarming. What is causing this, our food supply? Seems to me an awful lot of medicine going out into these kids.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

My brother is one that was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Ritalin as a kid/teen, and honestly I think he was just a high energy kid. I definitely think it is over diagnosed to a degree but I think in part that's just humanity looking for answers and labels to anything they perceive as a problem.
  9. sanshoukid

sanshoukid Member

I am a firm believer that kids should not be prescribed Adderall. This is because I myself was prescribed this drug as a kid, and I loved it when I was taking it. It helped me complete so many of my tasks at an amazing speed, but I got addicted to it. I didn't even realize I was addicted to it until I ran out of it one day and all I could think about was when i would be able to take m next Adderall pill. I fund that I could not focus at all without my prescription drug, even if it only was a negative placebo effect.

Many high school students are just faking the symptoms because they think that it makes their lives easier when studying.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Good question. First the school makes money off of the prescription for every kid that is on it if they catch it. The teen screen and all of this is designed to find flaws in kids. Line it up with whatever drug is supposedly needed.
    Personally, it is pretty obvious that the industry is making a business out of it. ADD/ADHD and autism seems to be completely on the rise in more ways than one. There are too many in this county with autism that it is like a red flag to me. I don't think the drugs or the labels are necessary. They need to go gluten, casein, and dairy free. Some of the top doctors suggest this first before any drugs. Gluten causes a whole slew of issues, including mental health problems so. You need like 3-6 months off of all of this and put each one back individually to see the reaction. This way you know exactly which one. I just listened to a doctor who was linking gluten to suicidal thoughts. So, yes the medications are being over used. I also don't think it is a good idea to put children or teenagers on any of these prescriptions. The developmental stages are so important. You don't need synthetic garbage like this ruining it. Just eat healthy and exercise, that's it.
  11. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok Member

I don't have any children that have been prescribed any of these medications, but from a spectators view of the situation, it does seem that it is one of the two options you suggested, either over diagnosis or pump and dump by doctors. I personally believe it is an over diagnosis problem. Books and journals have given a certain behaviour pattern a name and patients want answers and a diagnosis. In most cases, the symptoms fit what the text book says, so the child is diagnosed with ADHD or similar. Having seen many of these children in their home environment, I truly believe it is usually a discipline / parenting issue. I know thats not a popular view because parents don't like being called poor at what they do, but it is my opinion.
  12. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I can remember 30 years ago being a kid in school and there being a few kids here and there that were just more hyper than others. Those kids often got moved to the front of the classroom so the teacher could keep a closer eye on them. These kids did not have to take medication because back in those days ADHD was unheard of. Teachers and parents just handled the problems as they came and eventually those kids grew up to be mature adults who now live normal lives. So yes, I think Ritalin and Adderall are easy outs for a problem that could have been solved in a healthier, more natural way.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, Ritalin and Adderall has definitely been over prescribed, and is an "easy" fix for any kid that might be experiencing behavioral problems. ADHD along with bipolar is simply a catchall almost garbage diagnosis, and an excuse to peddle medicine. School systems today are overwhelmed with demands, and overly large classroom sizes. The kids that need invidual attention rarely get it, or don't get enough of it.
  14. amr13

amr13 Member

My father who has been practicing medicine for over 40 years has said that ADD and ADHD are the most commonly over diagnosed disorder today. I admit while I was in college I used it and never again will I touch it. It is a dangerous drug that should only be given to people who truly need it and maybe not even them. Like many other are saying on this thread, it is a quick fix.
  15. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I know a 1st Grade teacher who was constantly forcing children to subscribe to these sort of pills to help children. We found out that she was affiliated with the local company that sold these pills and that she was subscribing children who actually had no problems at all. That scumbag still teaches at my old primary school. They take advantage of children for money, even though their job is to teach them. I have a mild case of ADHD and I've never taken anything for it because nobody knew I had it. I've learned to control it and live like a normal person so its not a problem.