An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think that the course should be completely taken or dropped according to your comfort?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by shilpa123, Oct 11, 2014.

1. shilpa123

shilpa123 Member

The treatments to get rid of addiction of alcohol and drugs is quite harmful for health. So do you think it is advisable to drop the treatment once you are feeling little better about it. I think one should drop the course or treatment at the right time so that they do not get addicted to the treatment. What is your opinion on this matter?
  2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

If you think that you're already doing well without the treatments, then maybe you already got out of the addiction the natural way and you don't need the treatments anymore. If I was in that situation, I'd drop the treatments.
  3. La.oui

La.oui Member

I understand that it would be a huge relief to leave treatment behind and it would actually be fantastic if you've already moved past your triggers. But I would suggest and implore you to seek the advice of the professional looking over your case. This isn't to say that your assessment of yourself isn't credible and to be honest with you, that amount of self-awareness is impressive. But just to be sure that you're not prone to relapse anymore, seeking approval from the one overseeing your case would be best.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

If you feel that you dont need to continue on then go and have a visit with your doctor so that they can see if it is a good idea. It is great to be able to feel that you don't need it anymore and that means you are on the right track. Keep going, be strong and good for you!!
  5. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I so WISH there was a treatment to get rid of addiction :)
    I would recommend discussing it with your doctor before discontinuing any detox or maintenance medication just to be sure.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's much better to stick with it. Chances are, someone who has fallen in too deep in the first place won't have too good of a grasp of the measurement of his or her own well being. I'm not saying that addicted people are incapable of discerning for themselves when they are fine, but I think it's much safer to give a bit more credit to those who are observing you since we are not always the best judges of ourselves.
  7. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

I think it's better to stick with it. Each time you relapse you make it much more likely that you will relapse again. It is much better to complete whatever treatment you have chosen to ensure that you are physically and emotionally stable.
  8. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

From what I understand the treatment is harmful but it is much better for you then the actual results of the drugs. I do recommend that you try to stop the treatment as soon as possible though because of how harmful it is.
  9. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Which treatments are we actually talking about here?
    I've never received a treatment that could hold a candle to the original drug abuse. Methadone would be the closest, but still not nearly as harmful considering the alternative.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Comfort should be the last thing on your mind when you try to enter treatment. Isn't recovery your goal here? Why would you even rest on your laurels when every second wasted is a life sinking into oblivion? I don't get that part about "getting addicted to the treatment." Nevertheless, the situation of addiction isn't comfortable itself.
  11. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I guess it depends on the specific treatment (?) but it is always best to talk to your doctor. Finishing a course of treatment is typically suggested even if you feel better than you did before you started it because it tends to have a higher success rate in the long run.
  12. mdaudali

mdaudali Member

I think it's better to stay with the treatment. It's better to completely get over the addiction than get a little out of it, but then fall back in, removing all progress made.
  13. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I feel you should stay the course until its complete. Its better to ensure that you are completely healed and nothing can pull you back into the substance abuse world. Work hand in hand with your treatment professional and they should advise you of what they feel is appropriate. Why not give 100% of yourself and finish what you started.
  14. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I don't quite understand how treatment can harm your health i'll need to research on that but what i know is that rehabilitation is not like a " rubber stamp" where you present yourself, get checked and you're good to go. It's a long and sometimes tedious process and you have to be strong willed to see your self through it. You have to go through the various stages and finish the prescribed course of treatment.
  15. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

There is no point in starting something if you don't plan to finish it. If you think you need to get some help, why would you want to start getting help and then drop it. It is not going to hurt anyone to go throw the treatment process. I don't think there is any way I would start rehabilitation for myself and then drop it.
  16. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

certain treatments that are prescribed as a weaning substance are actually drugs themselves and can themselves be addicted. It is important that you be aware of this before accepting this as part of your treatment and make decisions according to what you think you can physically and mentally handle.