An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Think The Stop Smoking Aids Actually Work?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by ChloeDawn, Feb 18, 2016.

1. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

There are several different types of stop smoking aids on the market. These include nicotine gum, nicotine lozenges, and nicotine patches. Some people also use e-cigs in hopes that it will help them quit smoking. Do you think these methods can actually work since you are still getting a dose of nicotine every time you use them?
    Damien Lee and MrsJones like this.
  2. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I have seen a prescription drug work for a co-worker after trying the patches. I haven't heard of any success regarding the nicotine patch or gum. I have tried the gum but didn't like the after taste it left in my mouth. Blah!
  3. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I think that is really depends on the person, and I am the person who they tend not to work for. I can say that I know a lot of people who they have worked for though, and they swear by their methods and it is great that some people can get that help. Best to try everything you can.
  4. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

I would say it really depends on what kind of a person you might be. For example if you constantly chew gum you could get a nicotine gum instead and it could help you.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Personally, I think going cold turkey is still the best way if someone wants to quit smoking. I've heard of people getting addicted to nicotine gum. Yes, they were able to quit smoking, but they developed another addiction. I wouldn't advice anyone who wants to quit smoking to replace cigarettes with something that has nicotine on it.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think in some ways it could. Weening yourself off of something is way better than going cold turkey. It really has to do with ones will power at the same time. I think that after your over the addiction you should get rid of the aids and everything.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Everyone is different.
    Some work wonders for people, others are useless.
    Really just takes trial and error, as long as you keep TRYING to quit you will.
  8. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I think the stop smoking aids are marketing gimmicks. If anything, they remind you of the real stick. But there is such a thing as the power of belief and some people have come out of the quagmire through their use. But without willpower and iron resolve, no external aids can help you.
  9. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I have tried a few of them myself. I guess I had the most luck with the lozenges and might have actually quit for good if I could've afforded to keep buying them. It stinks how some of the stop smoking aids are more expensive than smoking! I also did an e-cig for awhile and ended up with bronchitis. The Dr told me this was common for those who used them.
  10. melody

melody Active Contributor

The patch gave me a rash, vaping made me sick so the only one I can really use is the gum. It does work well. I would say, you might have quit smoking, but then you have to ween yourself off of the nicotine. There are many terrible things in cigarettes, far above and beyond nicotine. But it is all bad for you.
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I really think that if someone wants to stop smoking they have to find their own way of doing so. There is only one fool proof way of quitting and that is to never start.
  12. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I have not had any personal experience with these methods to quit smoking. I have known someone who used the nicorette gum though. He quit smoking, but he became addicted to the gum instead. So I am not sure if this is something that other people experience. I would think that this could be a problem since the gum does have nicotine in it and you are still putting it in your system by chewing it.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yes, but it depends... if the person isn't even trying then they won't, but if they do then they will. It's as simple as that. Plus I believe that those aids are way more healthier than smoking one of those nasty poison sticks.
  14. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is something that doesn't make sense. If they really do help quit smoking shouldn't they be cheaper then smoking?
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I can't speak from personal experience as I just went cold turkey with cigarettes, I didn't do any of the other stuff like patches. One of my friends who has been a long-time smoker has tried both patches and gum to no avail. So based on that, I'm not sure that they work - I think it's hard to say though. I'm sure it's different from person to person based on a number of circumstances.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

Not to me. I've tried lots of stuff to quit with no avail. And you know why is doesn't work? Because as long as you're looking for a substitute for your smoking, it means you don't really want to quit. I've said it lots of times, if you want to really quit, cold turkey is the only way to go.
  17. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

It seems that for most persons it's extremely difficult to quit the habit of cigarette smoking. I have seen persons try all kind of measures and aids to get out of the habit but to now avail. They have this constant craving for the substance, which they just can't get rid of. In fact, of the many persons that I have known who have tried to quit the habit, very few have been able to successfully do so.
  18. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

No, I simply believe they are actually ways of keeping you hooked on nicotine, and showing yourself, making yourself feel like you can never overcome this addiction. I have tried every single method in the past, and the only one that seemed to work every time, was quitting cold turkey. Allan Carr's book also helped me a lot, by now I'm pretty sure you can find it on the internet, I would recommend it to anyone who is trying to quit.
  19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

My sister tried out nicotine patches when she tried to quit smoking. She did go for a couple of days without smoking, but she quickly relapsed. Perhaps, it's because she didn't really make a concentrated effort. I think these aids may help reduce the frequency of smoking, but not stop it completely if the smoker is not dedicated.
  20. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I have always said that if you're looking to quit doing something you just gotta do your best on trying instead of doing stuff that will remind you of what you usedto be addicted to, those AIDS as you call them are quite senseless for me and I would never recommend them, that is my opinion though.