An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think there is a difference between a habit and an addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by pineywood, Apr 13, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that there's a difference between those two concepts, an habit is just simple as doing something that you are used to do but you don't really feel the necessity of doing it, it's because you're just used to it. But when it comes to an addiction is when you can't or is really difficult to live without doing something. We all have habits, I think that it depends on us to don't let them become an addiction.
  2. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I think this is something that people mix up a lot, habit and addiction. Habits are just like your own pattern of doing something, and can be broken with little efforts, and no harm done to you, you could simply decide to change the way you do a particular thing. But addictions are not that easy to break, your body and mind react badly to missing a dose or however it is taken.
  3. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

There is actually a very thin line between the two. An habit that has been developed over time could be really hard to change. If it's a bad habit, it could end up destroying a lot of things in your life and you will be almost helpless, because it is already a part of you.
    An addiction is very similar to this. So, in my opinion, habits and addictions are very similar.
  4. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I really don't think addiction and habits are similar. An habit could be good or bad. In some cases it's neither of the two, it's just something that a person is used to doing. An addiction, on the other hand is always bad. It always means you are totally dependent on something and cannot exist without it. An addiction cannot be broken easily, but it isn't so difficult to break a bad habit.
  5. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

When the OP was making the comparison, I know she was comparing bad habits to addiction. There is no reason to compare good habits to drugs addiction.
    Everything I said was because of the experience I have had. I developed a bad habit over a period of time, and up till now, I'm still trying to break it.
  6. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

A habit can be a good or a bad thing. An addiction is always a bad thing because it suggests Overdoing or over indulging. It suggests that things are being done in excess without any restraint. An addiction can never be good.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think that many addictions start with habits, that grow to dependencies and eventually end up as addictions. For some and certain types of drugs, maybe once is all that is needed to start an addiction, but for many people I think an addiction grows slowly out of time built from a habit or a ritual that might eventually become all consuming.
  8. Lizzy19ph

Lizzy19ph Member

Habits are things we do which we can live without if we skip doing them for some time and the effect on us would not be tremendous whereas addiction has to do with our urgent cravings of things which can have a bad effect on us if it cause us to be irrational, a disturbance to other people, can have a strong impact on our health and other areas of our lives. Habits and addictions can both be good and bad and addiction to something becomes bad when it is too much already and can affect our lives in a negative way.
  9. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

A habit is something you don't have do everyday, for example, some people are social drinkers they only drink when they go to a bar or a club. An addiction is something you crave and partake in daily. Some people have to drink everyday, they cant go without it.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In my opinion they are entirely different, and a habit is something that your used to doing but can stop or change at any time. An addiction is far more serious than that and its when you get so deep into the habit that you can't stop and it becomes a part of your life that you can no longer live without.