An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think weed should stay illegal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by husthouterd, May 19, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

No.

People wanting it to be illegual should actually prove that it has benefited society to outlaw it, and not just have the opinion that "it's baaaaAAAaad." Countries where it's legual have better results. Heck, states where it's legual are better off. It's like the death penalty. Conservative people have the feeling that it convinces people to not do crime because they are scared of the consequence, but that's proven wrong. Same with weed. I don't smoke, but I think the ban on it is ridiculous.
  2. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Simply, it just goes with the territory, JonnyMacdonald. Drug dealers are no less apt to losses than anyone else.
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Even in the absence of your stats, I am saying don't legalize it. I am yet to be presented with an argument that convinces me we should make this drug a free for all. When it comes to it's medicinal value that's something I am trying to fully comprehend. Whatever the case, that's a separate issue.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

True. The arguments presented for its legalization weren't even convincing - just opinions devoid of solid verifiable facts. They're all saying legalizing marijuana makes the society "better." I can't believe such a baseless premise in this day and age. Just dogma not even worth considering. They should read NBI's database and realize how a non-controlled substance can ruin a lot of lives. I can vouch for medical marijuana but it should only be administered in the hospitals rather than sold over the counter.
    Winterybella and MrsJones like this.
  5. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think it should be illegal and always be illegal, I think the plants shouldn't even exist to begin with. I think that a lot of people have misconceptions and misunderstandings when it comes to it being legalized, cutting down crime rates, which is absolutely not true. When such a thing causes crime, think about what it would cause when it's legalized. Normally, when something causes crimes, and it becomes legalized, out of it comes other types of crime.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I can't see marijuana being legalized any time soon in the UK, not even for medicinal use. I do, however, think it should be legalized for medicinal use in the UK (and other countries). I think it should remain illegal as a recreational drug though. There's already enough encouragement for people to start using it in countries like the UK already, despite the fact that it's illegal. There's also the fact that marijuana grown for medicinal use will be clean, whereas the marijuana on the streets is prone to contamination.
  7. djd

djd Member

I actually believe all drugs should be at least decriminalized. You don't 'fix' a heroin addict by locking them up for years after catching them with a bunch of dope. Sending non-violent 'offenders' to prison alongside violent offenders does not work. It doesn't fix anything. And history certainly shows that prohibition does not work in any sense - it only raises crime rates. And it wouldn't push anyone to try drugs now that they're legal - the people who are doing to do drugs are doing to do them regardless of if they're legal or not.

I think the smartest form of action would be to send addicts to treatment...
    ...but then the healthcare system would also need to be reformed. Just doesn't really work with a profit-from-healthcare corporation-driven system.
  8. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I think it should stay illegal. It is a drug after all, and if not used with cautious it could casue serious health problems. Should only be used for medical purposes.
  9. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

Hmm. I disagree, weed should be LEGALIZED. I have never used the drug but know many people who have. Weed is A LOT safer than many of the drugs that "legal". If weed is illegal than why are drugs such a nicitione and alcohol legal? Alcohol can KILL YOU! Even when you stop taking alcohol the side effects of withdrawal can kill you within the first 72 hours of stopping. It is unfair to legalize something that is so harmful but yet something that cannot kill you and actually relaxes you is illegal? Really makes NO SENSE!
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

Marijuana should stay illegal has it has many disadvantages than advantages. Marijuana has given rise to madmen in our societies. It has contributed to lawlessness in our communities as gangs fight to stay in control of its sale. Marijuana users are lazy and dirty. Its users are usually not respected and usually don't have constructive minds.