New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think working out can help you quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by nick92, Mar 26, 2016.

1. nick92

nick92 Member

It worked for me. When I started engaging into more intense physical activities and going to gym, I was literally disgusted by cigarettes. I was feeling that awful, heavy smoke going into my lungs and messing with my circulatory system, so I drastically reduced them. In less than 2 weeks I quit altogether.

Working out helped me as it cleansed my body. Getting rid of cigarettes afterwards came as a natural process. I'm curious if you guys share a similar opinion.
    anorexorcist likes this.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think it's one of those fundamental things that people should do when they quit smoking. It helps regain not only your body but your focus.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it could help. The endorphins released from exercise could help with cravings. This could probably help get pollution out of your body. I'm not surprised that working out helped you quit smoking.
  4. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, it can definitely help you. It is scientifically proved that working out stimulates the release of dopamine and it's the same chemical that is released when we smoke. The sensation which you feel while smoking is actually the dopamine in the brain. When you work out, you body releases more dopamine and it somewhat satisfies your crave for the release of dopamine by other activities such as smoking.
  5. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think the surrounding environment and people that you mix with at the gym also helps. Most folks at the gym are health freaks, and they will often give you good advice about leading a healthier life. I think the positive influence from folks like these will make one question their smoking habit.
  6. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I used to workout and smoke for years, but I wasn't trying to quit smoking back then, it wasn't even an issue. I guess I haven't realized I was a prisoner being forced to smoke, it was all good. Once I decided to quit smoking it helped me fight the anxiety and stress, but I wouldn't say working out resulted in quitting the habit or anything.
  7. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

It can or it can influence it more. It can in the way that it occupies your time and you find an alternative to smoking. But it can also influence more smoking because it will make you feel down and tired and naturally you're going to look for something to fill that gap or need for relaxation which is smoking.
  8. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I know it has worked for many people and I think it is all about self will. If you concentrate more on what you want to get out of working out and if you are a go-getter, it would work.
  9. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

If yоu'rе trying tо stоp smоking, gеt dоwn tо thе gym. А nеw study hаs shоwn thаt pеоplе whо еxеrсisе аrе 55 pеr сеnt mоrе likеly tо quit—аnd 43 pеr сеnt lеss likеly tо rеlаpsе intо smоking, tоо.Thе study, саrriеd оut in Tаiwаn, еxаminеd hеаlthсаrе dаtа frоm 434,190 pеоplе in оrdеr tо rеасh thе finding. Thе study аlsо shоwеd thаt, fоr thоsе smоkеrs whо didn't quit, еxеrсising inсrеаsеd lifе еxpесtаnсy by 3.7 yеаrs.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

That is awesome. I plan to start walking 30 minutes daily once I move in with my fiance, I am truly hoping the healthy eating and physical activity will help him quit smoking cigarettes. He said he will try, but I am not so sure I can believe him, he hasn't even tried to quit before, the longest he ever did in 11 years was 3 days.
  11. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Whether or not it completely eliminates the habit, it does help a lot.
    I was addicted to cigarettes but when I started working out, I kinda realized that my stamina was way less than what it was before. Reducing cigarettes resulted in this linear increase in stamina. That kind of motivated me to reduce the number and as the days passed, I completely quit the habit.
    The problem with any addiction is that it sucks you in eventually irrespective of the level of control. Which is why, I don't believe in moderate use of drugs. It's better to stop them for good.
  12. Joethefirst

That's what I think as well, it might not stop the cravings all together but it certainly will help.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

14. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member

Joining my local flag football team was a great excuse to stop smoking all together. Exercise strengthened my lungs and tired me out enough to not bother doing stopping by a convenience store for a pack.
  15. Joethefirst

Exercise has been proven time and time again to really help people not only physically but mentally. It's no surprise that when people are recovering from surgical process it's very often recommended that people do exercise to recover more quickly.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As others have already said, exercise is one of the most important things when it comes to quitting any addiction. Not only does it help to clean your body, but it also takes your mind off the cravings you'll have.

That's the most important thing when you're giving up an addiction, as you'll often find you'll feel there's a gap in your life that now needs to be filled.
  17. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

I think working out can not cause you to quit cigarettes. It might delay the effect of smoking cigarettes for awhile. But, the craving for them will come back. Especially, when something bad happens and you to have to deal with it again tomorrow.
  18. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Yeah it can definitely because once you start getting results out in your body you will strive for more and more everytime and it will lead to a more healthy kind of lifestyle and you will end up leaving the cigar because al its gonna do is put you back and back, every time you smoke you hurt your body and that shouldn't happen just for the sake of relaxing for a little while even though it feels good who am I to judge? That's just my opinion though.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

We're not saying that exercise instantly cures an addiction, but it takes your mind off the cravings and sometimes when you first descide to quit, that's half the battle.

Working out releases that energy and stress that comes with giving up cigarettes. It's not a cure, just another way to help and with an addiction such as smoking people need all the help they can get.
  20. Pamphleteer

Pamphleteer Member

Personally, it worked for me! When I actively work out daily i find myself capable of exercising impulse control much more easily. I love it!