An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you think working out can help you quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by nick92, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Whatever works, right? For some people, working out has helped them quit smoking, and for others, it may be something else. But I agree that up to some extent it really does help. It's a good distraction from all those cravings and temptation.
  2. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Definitely because what makes you smoke sometimes is just the boredom or anxiety you get over the the lenght of the day and if you spend a lot of time at the gym you cn easily distract yourself from this and actively live without thinking about it hour by hour. It does definitely help and a lot. you should try it for atleast a month and see how you feel.
  3. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Any type of activity can help you quit by keep you away from smoking. The issue is that unless you are working out 24/7, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to think about smoking. It's certainly a good activity to take up, but it's probably not something that will help you quit smoking by itself.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Working out not only exercises your body though, it exercises your mind aswell, and a lot of the time the feeling you get from working out, helps your mind stay focussed on other things apart from your craving.

Cravings are at their strongest at the beginning, so working out more at the start of quitting an addiction does help a lot for most people.
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Working out can not only help you quit various kinds of addiction, but also help you overcome various kind of mental conditions. When you overcome with cravings, try to work out in your home or go for a jogging. Working out will divert your mind from cravings. When you work out, your body will release a kind of pain killer hormone.
  6. I think so. When you smoke cigarettes, you usually do it to relieve stress. When you are working out, you are relieving stress. Exercises, such as yoga, can relieve stress, give you energy, help you to sleep, etc. Smoking cigarettes don't necessarily do any of those things. Yes, it relieves stress, but it's still doing damage to your body.
  7. Dilof

Dilof Member

Anything that keeps you occupied and drifts your mind away from an addiction can help you quit said addiction. The hardest part is being determined enough to get out of bed that day and actually do something productive and not just resort to your addiction substance.

Whatever works for you will help you quit smoking.
  8. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

It gives you a big reason to stop.
    You get hooked to working out, but you know smoking is having a negativd impact on it. Crunch time comes, address smoking to improve you gym sessions or be stuck in a rut.

That insentive, or spark, gives you reason and a measurable goal :)
  9. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is a very valid point both do the something, the difference is that one is healthy while the other isn't.
  10. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

It really worked for me! Not only did it make me realize how nice it is to be healthy, but it also helped clear my mind off of the drug.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think it helps, for sure. I think just getting moving means that it's difficult to smoke - try running or cycling and having a cigarette and you'll see what I mean. Plus, I also think that just treating your body well makes you want to make good choices - I know beating addiction to cigarettes is hard but I think healthy lifestyle choices certainly help to pave the road in the right direction.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, not to me. I remember when I was working out in the gym, the first thing I did when I walked out the gym's door was to light one up. And the really bad thing about it, it's that it feels just as good as the cigarette you smoke after sex.
  13. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Personally, yes. It really helps to do it because it increases stamina and helps in working out.
  14. Joethefirst

I have seen people try to do that.lol
    They only did that once though. :D
    kassie1234 likes this.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think for the sake of diversion it can work, but I haven't experienced it yet, so I wouldn't really know. I think that it can work if the will of the person is strong enough to stop smoking and they would just divert their mind to exercise.
  16. Joethefirst

That's the idea, when you are working out it pushes you both physically and mentally so that everything else loses it's importance. It builds up your confidence and that's why it can really help if you are quitting smoking.
  17. serenity

@Joethefirst, But I think you can still achieve the same results if you aren't exercising and you just put your mind into it. Although the added activity does push you to concentrate on solely working out.
  18. Joethefirst

@serenity yes, that is true, exercise isn't the only way, nicotine addiction is both mental and physical. The physical addiction is a lot smaller then the mental addiction. It's all a question of keeping focused.
  19. serenity

True. I think even a hobby that keeps you preoccupied like playing a sport or an instrument can help a person quit smoking. It's all about being busy enough not to smoke, and you're all good.
  20. ChristianRO

ChristianRO Member

I think working out might help some people quit or reduce cigarettes, however, I am sure it won't do the trick for everybody.
    Before anything else, you should have a certain mindset if you're really going to quit smoking. You have to be 100% confident and never go back. If you don't have this mindset, I think you can't really quit. It doesn't matter you keep yourself preoccupied with other activities such as working out, as long as you don't REALLY want to quit , you won't.

p.s: all of the above is written from my previous personal experience. It turns out I am not ready to stop smoking.